new seat box

oldmanriver

Seriously !, well that's another poor design then, another reason to get yourself an octbox, & no. i'm not sponsored by octbox or anybody else come to that.
The newer version F25 is good enough for Dave Harrell these days. My old original version has tape added as insurance for its old age !
The foot rest can be easily taken off for River Work. I would never hesitate to recommend one of these. Octbox are excellent seat-boxes but for his budget and usage an obvious overkill.

jasonb

Site Supporter
I have a nearly new Matchbox S Class (for sale) with all the attachments n tray etc

Its a model or two up from the Azuro

Brilliant if you want a really lightweight box with lots and lots of room
The deep base unclips (MatchStax I think it's called) and has a deep section for reels etc plus a couple rig trays

Matchbox are lightweight and solidly built

Older models had issues with frames splitting eventually from tightening up the legs but the later ones all had it sorted

I now pretty much only fish commercials or the canal on my doorstep so switched to a Daiwa Tournament box
I did see that for sale and was very tempted myself !

nejohn

I won't go wrong if you buy a Matchbox, especially if you tend to fish more natural venues where you have to carry your box over your shoulder, as they are much lighter and much more compact than the current commie baised boxes that you need a trolley or in some cases a forklift truck to get the box and attachments to your peg, I have an SX and it is light, stable, well made and uses its available space very well, what I like is the lack of easily broken plastic parts all aluminium and wood with decent quality fittings

Geoff Selby

Recently purchased a matrix p25 (ebay) deep side drawer and 2 deep front drawer made the front legs knobless to fix the height can be adjusted with the telescopic legs . Roomy Lightweight very impressive .

Paul.P

yes peter unfortunately i have to stick to a budget and also alot of my fishing is standing up float fishing rivers so thats another reason i didnt want to spend a massive amount on a box . also because of back problems i dont fish with a pole and im new to these types of seatbox mainly because a lot of my fishing is standing up hence ive still got a shaky box which has been awesome considering it is now over 30 years since i bought it lol
Sickfloatkev, if your interested in a good second hand octbox within your budget, I can put you onto my nephew, who I believe could sort you out with one.

rd350lc

Both look pretty much the same bud ,cant go wrong really,have you considered how much gumph you actually put in the base ,if you like me and its not a lot you might want to consider the preston inception has enough room in base for reels ,pots etc and is super light
But if your minds made up on one of the above I'd have sensas with side drawers ,I find front drawers next too useless
Does the Preston inception really have enough room for reels ?

chris1967

does the preston inception have enough room for reels etc in the base mate.
yes mate it has, I liked the box but I would have need to buy extending legs and another shallow drawer unit ,so I bought the map h30 lite I've no need for the base I only use pole

stickfloatkev

i need a box with a big base for reels etc cause nearly all my fishing is on rivers . also i dont do any pole fishing because of back problems

sapperrich

My first 'proper' seat box was the first of a couple of Little Gems - very similar (in fact almost identical) to the Matchbox Azuro without the footplate.
Matchbox Tackle - Azuro Seat Box

I wanted a footplate so invested in one of the original Preston Onbox seatboxes (3 cross-drawers and 2 front + big base) which was pretty much bombproof. I bought it in 2005 and only stopped using it this time last year as it wouldn't fit easily in the back of the new car I'd bought.
Replaced with the MAP H30Comp
View attachment 9570
I like a big base unit :D

If i was in the market for another box it would be one of two (both around the £300 mark)

The MAP H30Lite
View attachment 9571

Or the Preston SL

View attachment 9572

Purely down to the fact that they're both light as a feather - although bear in mind that you'll probably want another pair of extending legs for the Preston and another tray (for winders) for the MAP.

Angling Times guide to boxes under £350 here:
Best fishing seatboxes of £350 or less

May be some of those no longer available.

Simon
Hi any Idea how much MAP H30 Comp weighs? Thinking of getting myself one. Cheers.

Simon R

Site Supporter
It's not light
But that is mainly due to the amount of rubbish I cart around in it

Lighter than the Onbox when empty (that was the five drawer, deep base Onbox) but not by a huge margin - I can carry it over one shoulder for a couple of hundred yards before collapsing in a heap - although that may have more to do with my lack of fitness rather than the weight of the box:p
Very sturdy though and rock solid once set-up on the bankside.

Simon

sapperrich

It's not light
But that is mainly due to the amount of rubbish I cart around in it

Lighter than the Onbox when empty (that was the five drawer, deep base Onbox) but not by a huge margin - I can carry it over one shoulder for a couple of hundred yards before collapsing in a heap - although that may have more to do with my lack of fitness rather than the weight of the box:p
Very sturdy though and rock solid once set-up on the bankside.

Simon
Any idea weight roughly in Kg or Lbs? Don't plan walking great distances but Army left knees bit knackered, can't TAB with pack on back no more LOL.