new seat box

stickfloatkev

im thinking of buying a new seat box . im looking at either the sensas 290 and the daiwa 160 boxes as possibilities within my budget , can anyone offer any help\advice or reviews of these boxes please . many thanks in advance

david white

Site Supporter
I recently asked for reviews on sensas box and was advised to ' check out ' matchbox systems, fully understand the reasoning behind the suggestion downside is matchbox are under new management and the revised boxes be available for 2-3 months
I'll be watching the replies as and when ....

stickfloatkev

thanks david. whats the difference between the matchbox and the 2 ive been looking at . also do you know the prices of the matchbox. what i mean is it within my budget of about 250 pounds . thankyou

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Got a d25 octbox myself, had it about 5 years, excellent, only box I will ever need.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Got a d25 octbox myself, had it about 5 years, excellent, only box I will ever need.
Had my Octbox just over 4 years, faultless, I have replaced the seat with one from one of the custom seat makers and fixed the footplate into the extended position as I never slide it away, great boxes and well worth the money, should last for years.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Had my Octbox just over 4 years, faultless, I have replaced the seat with one from one of the custom seat makers and fixed the footplate into the extended position as I never slide it away, great boxes and well worth the money, should last for years.
I done the same as you, when new swapped the seat from my old Tuff box, very similar to the Custom seat makers, I also fixed the footplate in place by drilling holes and putting a bolt through and adding a wing nut, just in case I need to dismantle.
footplate stays in the out position as well as it goes up a ramp loaded into the berlingo fully loaded and back into the garage the same way.

lucc

sensas is rather heavy and had some problems on extending legs. Get a cheap Rive such as this one, there are promos on them (30€ down with janv9 coupon): STATION RIVE CLASSIC CLUB AQUA

PS: still in EU, take advantage....;)

chris1967

im thinking of buying a new seat box . im looking at either the sensas 290 and the daiwa 160 boxes as possibilities within my budget , can anyone offer any help\advice or reviews of these boxes please . many thanks in advance
Both look pretty much the same bud ,cant go wrong really,have you considered how much gumph you actually put in the base ,if you like me and its not a lot you might want to consider the preston inception has enough room in base for reels ,pots etc and is super light
But if your minds made up on one of the above I'd have sensas with side drawers ,I find front drawers next too useless

Dazaturbo

The big trouble with the Daiwa box is you can’t adjust the height between footplate and seat I looked at one and this put me straight off as it just wasn’t right for me

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The big trouble with the Daiwa box is you can’t adjust the height between footplate and seat I looked at one and this put me straight off as it just wasn’t right for me
This is a big problem for shortarses like me, with many seatboxes, hence why I have had ones that have independent adjustment between seat and platform height. I don’t want to be adding or taking away trays to achieve a ‘nearly right’ height, with a box that can be independently adjusted, I can get it absolutely right for me.

Getting simple things like seat/platform height correct and using built in spirit levels to get the box level makes a huge difference to preventing backache and other issues. Granted it’s probably not quite so important fishing rod and line or short pole, but 6 hours fishing 16m or more and it is very important to get these things right.

Last two boxes have been Matchbox, which was fine, but the Octbox is a lot more stable. There are others that offer the independent adjustment, I looked at a Maver box before I bought the Octbox, aesthetically pleasing, but I was far from convinced it had longevity built in.....

david white

Site Supporter
thanks david. whats the difference between the matchbox and the 2 ive been looking at . also do you know the prices of the matchbox. what i mean is it within my budget of about 250 pounds . thankyou
Can't compare as I've never ( previously and debating as to if I do now tbh ) owned a singing dancing seatbox ( I use a small shakey old style plastic box with octoplus legs mainly because I solely pleasure fish and rarely use a pole, the box is light and has always previously suited my needs
I have it on good authority the matchbox systems may be about £20-30 dearer than the prices quoted on the matchbox website ( which is about 3 years out of date )
At your price range it may well pay to source a suitable box second hand as the old saying goes buy cheap buy twice

tedstriker

a few quid more and you can get a matrix f25 mk2, have the original p25 and its compact in design but solid as a rock

vfr400

Site Supporter
I have the Matrix F25 and I love it for what I do, lighter than the S25 or S36 seat height is easy to adjust, plenty of room and with add on draws and trays easy to come by very customisable.

Simon R

Site Supporter
My first 'proper' seat box was the first of a couple of Little Gems - very similar (in fact almost identical) to the Matchbox Azuro without the footplate.
Matchbox Tackle - Azuro Seat Box

I wanted a footplate so invested in one of the original Preston Onbox seatboxes (3 cross-drawers and 2 front + big base) which was pretty much bombproof. I bought it in 2005 and only stopped using it this time last year as it wouldn't fit easily in the back of the new car I'd bought.
Replaced with the MAP H30Comp
1547039519300.png
I like a big base unit :D

If i was in the market for another box it would be one of two (both around the £300 mark)

The MAP H30Lite
1547039686102.png

Or the Preston SL

1547039901138.png

Purely down to the fact that they're both light as a feather - although bear in mind that you'll probably want another pair of extending legs for the Preston and another tray (for winders) for the MAP.

Angling Times guide to boxes under £350 here:
Best fishing seatboxes of £350 or less

May be some of those no longer available.

Simon

jasonb

Site Supporter
If I was to get a new box they would be my choices as well

rodring

Site Supporter
Another vote for the Matrix P25 best seatbox I've had and I've had a few can be adjusted to your own personal preference including height and whatever configuration you want your drawer units including left or right opening.

Devon Ken

Site Supporter
Another vote for the Matrix P25 best seatbox I've had and I've had a few can be adjusted to your own personal preference including height and whatever configuration you want your drawer units including left or right opening.
Totally agree I've had maver etc matrix is a great box

carphauler

I was looking at the P25, last time I saw it, it was selling for £200 but they've updated it and lost the side drawer on the new model, probably more expensive as well.