New pond update

62tucker

Site Supporter
Tucker , aqua source do a range of bombs.
I have a look. 👍
I remember my 1st order with them after you told me about the aqua source. I wanted some info on quantity’s and the owner phoned me up. Class service so they get my custom

62tucker

Site Supporter
NT Labs Koi Care Mediclay 1.5kg Water Purifier Clay For Pond Fish Koi Goldfish

This clears the pond.
how ?

Chervil

Site Supporter
NT Labs Koi Care Mediclay 1.5kg Water Purifier Clay For Pond Fish Koi Goldfish

This clears the pond.
how ?
Being a very fine powder, and being heavier than water, clay acts as a flocculent. This means that as the individual grains of clay mix with the water then fall to the bottom of the pond, small floating particles are attracted to them and are pulled to the bottom with them, leaving the water clearer.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Being a very fine powder, and being heavier than water, clay acts as a flocculent. This means that as the individual grains of clay mix with the water then fall to the bottom of the pond, small floating particles are attracted to them and are pulled to the bottom with them, leaving the water clearer.

Everyday a school day in MDs.
well worth £10 of anybody’s money.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I have a look. 👍
I remember my 1st order with them after you told me about the aqua source. I wanted some info on quantity’s and the owner phoned me up. Class service so they get my custom
He’s a great bloke. One of the owners used to work for evolution aqua. Decided to set up his own and get paid for his knowledge.
The stuff he knows is unbelievable. That’s why I use their food, if it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for me

acart8426

I remember my first pond , a few years later it ended up getting bigger and turned into a koi pond and an addictive hobby . Been keeping koi now for probably 15 years or so , fortunately my pond requires very little maintainence and the fish look after themselves as I run a drum and some custom made biological filters and a shower so I don't get blanket weed .
As your pump is in the pond , be aware that it could empty all the water out if your filter blocks if the pump is sat directly on the pond floor , so I would recommend you fit a float switch which is very easily done .

Here's one of mine a bit of a brute - was 90 cms 5 years ago , very friendly , feeds out of my hand and I can lift him out by hand probably approaching 40lb in weight now ginrinchargoi.jpg

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I remember my first pond , a few years later it ended up getting bigger and turned into a koi pond and an addictive hobby . Been keeping koi now for probably 15 years or so , fortunately my pond requires very little maintainence and the fish look after themselves as I run a drum and some custom made biological filters and a shower so I don't get blanket weed .
As your pump is in the pond , be aware that it could empty all the water out if your filter blocks if the pump is sat directly on the pond floor , so I would recommend you fit a float switch which is very easily done .

Here's one of mine a bit of a brute - was 90 cms 5 years ago , very friendly , feeds out of my hand and I can lift him out by hand probably approaching 40lb in weight now View attachment 33786
Wow gorgeous fish

acart8426

Love the gin rin.
I’ve a friendly chagoi, they are great to have.
They certainly are , helps the others handfeed , very friendly . Got four, 2 standard and 2 gin rin both completely different . Very fortunate to have Cuttlebrook Koi and Koi Water Garden within 5 miles , prefer sanke though .

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Koi water gardens looks a nice place.
Mine had an effect as soon as it settled in and started to grown.
All ponds need one and they are cheap enough when small.
Sanke I can live with. Next and hopefully next is an ohciba for me and I’ve just lost an AKA matsuba but my local is out of them. So will need to wait while later in the year

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well it’s now gone balls up pretty much overnight with the water green and a layer of algae sludge on it the surface! Have ordered some of those bombs and a Greenwater treatment but really not sure how it’s happened as the UV is still working and the filter isn’t clogged up.

Any other Greenwater resolution suggestions are welcome? Will try the clay as well if need be but going to try what I’ve ordered first as I can get it here tomorrow.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Most new pondA will get algae.
but green water is normally sorted with you uv.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Well it’s now gone balls up pretty much overnight with the water green and a layer of algae sludge on it the surface! Have ordered some of those bombs and a Greenwater treatment but really not sure how it’s happened as the UV is still working and the filter isn’t clogged up.

Any other Greenwater resolution suggestions are welcome? Will try the clay as well if need be but going to try what I’ve ordered first as I can get it here tomorrow.
Shade is the best along with your uv ,check the bulb ,if you have a spare bulb try changing it . Barley straw used to be an option . Green water will clear with the uv but continuous sun will just keep the algae growing and growing .

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Try the aqua source blanket weed treatment. With the hot cold hot cold weather nearly every pond I know is suffering from it.
Also change 10% of your water every week.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cool will probably give that a go as well then. And yeah did a water change last week after the first hot spell. All good fun lol

Chervil

Site Supporter
I use Blanket stop, but saw some liquid barley straw extract when out a couple of weeks ago. It does seem to do the job. My problem is that my small pond is in the sun all day long.

Sportsman

Here's one of mine a bit of a brute - was 90 cms 5 years ago , very friendly , feeds out of my hand and I can lift him out by hand probably approaching 40lb in weight now View attachment 33786
Do you do day tickets? ;) :)