new lens, first attempt

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Shooting in low light, with a long lens, and being able to see every hair on the dog's head ...
impressive! (y)

Shooting in low light, with a long lens, and being able to see every hair on the dog's head ...
impressive! (y)
thanks pal, i just need to invest in a better low light camera body i think. currently using a nikon d7100 which is pretty good to be fair but a little limited in low light hence the noise. enjoying learning though!

Challenger

Site Supporter
I had a D7100 before my D750, did enjoy the camera, got some lovely images with it. I have to admit the low light capabilities of the D750 are better than the D7100. Do you use a tripod for low light, that helps, make longer exposures.

Last edited:
I had a D7100 before my D750, did enjoy the camera, got some lovely images with it. I have to admit the low light capabilities of the D750 are better than the D7100. Do you use a tripod for low light, that helps, make longer exposures.
Hey matey, yes i do use a tripod, the d7100 is pretty poor in low light compared to the higher cost cameras, being pretty new to photography in relative terms i didnt want to splash out on full frame, im looking to upgrade to the d500 soon which is much better in low light, comparable to most full frames these days. the d750 is an awesome camera though! do you have flickr or anything so i can take a look at what you have been shooting?

davylad

Site Supporter
How fast is the lens, on a shot like that I'd try opening it right up, and try to create some bokeh. On a tripod of course.

the lens is only an f5-f6.3 so without stepping further away and zooming right in to create some separation it wasnt really possible from where i was. if it was a planned shot with more time to compose etc i would probably have done something like that, i have yet to see what the bokeh generated with this lens is like.
thanks for the thoughts Davy, much appreciated