New club website

MattH1X

Site Supporter
Hi All

The club I fish for nearly folded the other year so we've Launched a new website to try and boost interest in the club (luckily it worked and our membership is now back to 14) and now we're trying to build for the future

www.anvilfc.com

Club name is Anvil fishing club

Appreciate anyone that is interested in joining, wants to guest on a match or just wants to swing by the website to check us out

Speak to you soon

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A bit far away for me, but good luck. :upthumb:

MattH1X

Site Supporter
Thanks mate

I'm hoping it helps having a better website to attract more attention

Mind you some nice weather would help as well :)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I had to search a bit to find out where you are based - Nottingham I think. Best put that in the OP or heading/title.

Also you need to get some advice regarding getting on the first search results page when people search for keywords that would bring up the club. A better website isn't going to achieve the results you want if people don't find it.

I would also suggest posting match results on here to get attention.

MattH1X

Site Supporter
Ok I've done the site support thing for a year (I think £10 is a bargin!!!)

Neil - with regards the site do you mean add to the first page of the website or this thread ? - the website does say "The Anvil is a long running fishing club with a variety of members who range in age and ability. We mainly fish around the Nottinghamshire area with our season running from April to October, please see our current years match listing for the venues we fish "

For searches we now appear as number 1 when you search "anvil fishing club" and on the first page for "anvil fishing" - just need to crack the others now

MattH1X

Site Supporter
Yes it it - £120 covers all of the match peg fees

We've designed the kit as well to try and give a better look.

We thought a few changes of the last year and the years coming :

last year : launch the webite, launch the kit, increase members - we managed all of these

this year : grow website and reintroduce the knockout

Next year : more members, club comps back with tropheys, club sponsor (think I might have this)

IanG1

Site Supporter
I am from fairly local to your area Matt and wish you good luck in your club launch. Your biggest barrier will be there are lots of clubs around here who do a similar thing basing their match calendar on the local commercials. Their is however a distinct lack of clubs holding matches on natural venues and that could be a hole in the market worth exploring in the future. I know a few folks around these parts who would love a competitive natural venue club match calendar but finding the right venues etc would take a bit of thought.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Matt,

Your club sponsor isnt Guru by any chance is it pal ? Im going by your club kit. 😀. Only pulling your leg. Keeping a group of lads together, fishing or otherwise is hard at the best of times. A lot of good clubs around our way have disbanded Im afraid to say so, you pulling your club around from last year deserves respect. Well done pal. And well done on becoming a site supporter again. Thank you for that. 👍

MattH1X

Site Supporter
I wish we did have Guru as a sponsor although I feel like I should have shares in them with how much I spend :)

The kits probably been the best thing we did - we've actually had none members buy it just cause they like it

We do have an annual trip to Monk Lakes that I need to add to the site.

I think we've managed to stick together as we're pushing the social side as well as the fishing and have found that helps

We've got more members from around Leicester now though so we're thinking the 2021 season will include some bookings around there

Ian - great point on the natural venues - we've got 4 members specifically asking for 3 matches per season on them to give us variety

Thanks for the support guys

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Ok I've done the site support thing for a year (I think £10 is a bargin!!!)

Neil - with regards the site do you mean add to the first page of the website or this thread ? - the website does say "The Anvil is a long running fishing club with a variety of members who range in age and ability. We mainly fish around the Nottinghamshire area with our season running from April to October, please see our current years match listing for the venues we fish "

For searches we now appear as number 1 when you search "anvil fishing club" and on the first page for "anvil fishing" - just need to crack the others now
I did mean on this site/this thread. It is helpful to know from the title what area is being talked about. There will be some who don't bother opening the thread unless they know it applies to their area. So you could be missing out on reaching potential members.

As regards searching the internet, unless people already know of your club then a stranger is not going to search for "Anvil Angling Club" or anything similar. The people you are trying to reach will use a much more general search term such as "Fishing Club Nottingham/Beeston/Toton". I am no internet expert so you need to talk with someone who understands how to generate first page responses to various search terms that might be used by potential members. There may be someone on here who can help.

But by far the best advertising is word of mouth. Make sure all the local tackle shops know you and would recommend if anyone enquires. Make sure fisheries see you as a good club to have on their waters. If you have a local paper that does a fishing page then get on good terms with the person who puts the page together, make sure they include all your results. Your local radio station may also be interested in talking to you. Local radio is always looking for stories and people to fill their shows. Give them a call and see if they are interested. Perhaps run a charity match and get on that way.

Personally I may wince at being asked to pay £120 up front. The club of which I am chairman charges £20 per year. It may be worth finding out if that up front fee puts people off.

Good luck in driving the club forward.

MattH1X

Site Supporter
Thanks Neil

I know what you mean on the price - its the only way we could get the bookings needed though as paying on the day caused issues before

We work on everyone paying then its your choice if you miss some

I think we've covered the local venues as we're well likes but definitely need to push the tackle shops more I think

Speak to you soon

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Matt,

Dont ask me how Facebook works but, would it be worth advertising on social media platforms ? Maybe an Ad in Angling Times ? I guess these cost money so maybe not just yet. Tackle shops but, return the favour by printing their name on your tickets perhaps ? Just thinking out loud Matt. Best if luck. 👍

MattH1X

Site Supporter
All good ideas mate

We're really trying to embrace them all, the ideal is we get to 30+ members so we're booking 2 lakes on the venues so we need to do more things like you're suggesting

jononcb

Is it Anvil club at Mansfield Woodhouse?
It sounds a lot of money up front but it's only £8 a peg per match which is a standard price nowadays for a decent commercial fishery.

MattH1X

Site Supporter
it is Jon the one from Mansfield Woodhouse

It does sound a lot but we pay in January and the season runs April to October so its not too bad. At least with funds upfront the club doesnt suffer if someone doesn't show

Do you know the club ?

jononcb

I don't know of the club Matt but have heard of it.
I'm only up the road at Sutton area.
It's a tough business booking matches up front though.
My club is very lucky it averages 20 on the matches from probably 40 people who just pick their matches to fish from.
There's a few angling clubs though still going in the Mansfield area which probably thins out the numbers.

MattH1X

Site Supporter
I see Jon

Who do you fish with ?

Our matches are every other Sunday which helps and some of our members have great relationships with Little John Lakes and Jansens we get decent dates.

We're quite well known because of a few of the anglers (Terry Hill. Darren Hill, Drew Richmond, Dean Revill and Barry Dent)

They're quite well known as they've been around the area for a few years

Have a look at the website and see if you recognise any of them

jononcb

I fish with the Stanton club which is based around Ilkeston area but it gets a lot of members as it's only £20 a year and includes 4 lakes/canal stretch at that.
The club has been going many years though.
It's tough pleasing everyone with venues as some don't want just carp venues. Some do like variety or Silver fish venues.
I prefer Springvale type venues rather than Jansons.
Although I did win at Jansons last month with 172lb. And it gets more complicated just getting 4 keepnets in and not going over weight limits!!