Most species in a session

Silverfisher

One of the biggest appeals in fishing for me is not knowing what will bite next and some of my favourite sessions are those that you catch lots of different species on.

I had 7 species on the Waveney yesterday which is just shy of my Thames best of 8 which is the most I’ve had in coarse fishing session. Overall most I’ve had would be into double figures which I’ve done in Florida a few times.

What’s the most species you guys have had in a session?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Seven; venue Bell's Mill (lke fishing in an aquarium) - Carp, Barbel, Tench, Ide, Roach, Skimmer and Golden Orfe.

Overall from the Stour I've had - Chub, Bream, Dace, Roach, Perch, Eels, Pike, Golden Orfe and half a Barbel. So 8.5 in total but not in a single session.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Club waters, had Bream (and skimmers), Roach, Perch, Ide, Koi, Carp (Mirror and Common), Gudgeon, a couple of Roach/Bream hybrids and Barbel in a 6 hour session. In all, about 11, or 10 if you count Bream and skimmers as the same species.

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Fairly regularly catch 7, 8 possibly 9 in a session on Wellingborough's snake lake. In my records I make no distinction between roach & rudd, nor between F1s & carp. So in a day it can be carp/F1s, roach/rudd, skimmers, perch, tench, barbel, chub, crucian & hybrids if you count those as a separate "species". The reason I like fishing the lake is the variety.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Seven; venue Bell's Mill (lke fishing in an aquarium) - Carp, Barbel, Tench, Ide, Roach, Skimmer and Golden Orfe.

Overall from the Stour I've had - Chub, Bream, Dace, Roach, Perch, Eels, Pike, Golden Orfe and half a Barbel. So 8.5 in total but not in a single session.
Half a barbel?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Half a barbel?
Posted the story in where you fished today in the River Stour thread, It would have been my first but I couldn't quite count it as my fish as it was on my Brother in Laws rod and I let him land it.

lp1886

8 in a recent match. Roach, perch, Rudd, barbel, tench, gudgeon, bream (proper and skimmers) & carp. Only species in the lake I didn’t catch was a chub.

MarkW

Fishing at Longbridge Lakes many years ago I had 10; roach, rudd, orfe, tench, crucian, carp, bream, grass carp, eel and goldfish.

Funnily enough the following date I had 7 from the Dorset Frome which is about as many as I've ever had from that venue. Had at least 8 in a day from the Thames.

In counting species you wouldn't count hybrids eg F1s or common and mirror carp as separate species.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Fished a match on the warks avon at Bidford some years ago and had the following............1x gudgeon,1xroach,1xperch,1xchub,1xBarbel and
1xpike( took a worm) and that was all i had!!!! Won the match with 10lb something.:)

Silverfisher

I suppose I should list my species as well then!

In total out of the Thames I’ve had 11 (roach, perch, Dace, bronze Bream, bleak, Ruffe, gudgeon, silver Bream, Chub, Rudd and pike) so for my most in a day I’ve done a few different combinations totalling 8 of that lot. Realistically just barbel to add to that list but think given I fish the Oxfordshire Thames that might be a bit optimistic, probably more chance of a Tench as my grandad had one this summer, even a carp probably not much less likely as he had them years ago as well.

MarkW

I've seen tench in the Thames though never caught one but my most surprising catch near Oxford was 26 carp in an hour by the Toll Bridge in Wolvercote. It transpired that the Thames WA had stocked that place with two dustbin's of carp (all around 4oz) the previous day! I'd add minnows to my list of Thames species apart from those you've listed.

Silverfisher

It was the first Tench I’d seen in the flesh out of the Thames as well although a few come out in matches, similar tale with the barbel as well. My grandads carp experience was similar to yours but at Clifton Hampden where the odd one still comes out these days. Never had a minnow from it but my dad and grandad have each had a couple minnows out of it this year after not having one in about a combined 100 years fishing it between them so there’s obviously a very small population of them. Luckily so as the bleak are nuisance enough with minnows joining them!

MarkW

Most of those Wolvercote carp were fished out in a couple of weeks and put in NOAS's stretch of the canal. That bit of the Thames by the Toll Bridge had lots of minnows in my early days of fishing - late 60s/early 70s and with the perch being absent due to disease they thrived for a while. I even had 200 minnows in the annual NOAS children's match in the very early 70s together with about 8 bleak to weigh in 1-2; quite what I was doing fishing in the edge I don't know though I remember a very strong facing east wind that day and Medley was fishing quite badly at that time. Talking of rare catches, I remember two old fellows on the nearby Oxford Canal each catching a stone loach within 10 minutes of each other and they'd fished it for 70 years and never before seen one.

WickerDave

My record is 11 from a local pond - carp, grass carp, roach, rudd, perch, bream, tench, barbel and ide plus F1 and roach/bream if you count hybrids. That included a venue personal best carp and a personal best grass carp so it was a session to remember :).

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Only a few weeks ago at Yew Tree. Never had a session like it. However I didn't catch a fish over a pound. I had - Tench, Carp, F1, Crucian, Orfe, Ide, Chub, Roach, Rudd & Bream. That's 10 in total.
Only Perch & Barbel missing from possible species.

davepellet

What a good question

had loads of 6 & quite a few 7's, but most I've done was 8 from Darfield pit pond (but that's counting mirror & common carp as different species! Is that cheating?)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Erm.....Carp, Roach, Rudd, Orfe, Bream, Perch, Crucian, Tench and does an F1 count as a separate species?

Silver fan 82

One of the biggest appeals in fishing for me is not knowing what will bite next and some of my favourite sessions are those that you catch lots of different species on.

I had 7 species on the Waveney yesterday which is just shy of my Thames best of 8 which is the most I’ve had in coarse fishing session. Overall most I’ve had would be into double figures which I’ve done in Florida a few times.

What’s the most species you guys have had in a session?
Seven is the most I remember. The other week on a club pond. Had roach, rudd, tench, perch, eel, F1 and a small common. Nice little session.