Middy CX White Knuckle Thriller 8m Margin Pole.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I bought one of these a few days ago. It comes with 2 pre-elasticated top kits and is rated to a 24 laccy, but not had chance to use it until today. It should be said that both laccy's are solids.

I tried this pole out on our club waters using the pre-elasticated Middy 8/10. Immediately found I was bumping off fish. I had company with me in MD'ers very own @Geoff P and he came over to look at it. On trying to pull the elastic out, it was 'snagging' up. I have never liked the Middy laccy and I was justified in doing so. I plodded on and catching one or two but bumped off about 70% of the fish. Geoff switched the elastic with another he had knocking around in his 'spares' box of the same power, 8/10 but hollow and it's a different pole (Thanks Geoff :upthumb: ). I didn't get to try the 18/20 top but I'm surmising it'll be the same. All in all though, it's a nice, well balanced pole to use.

Getting hold of spare dedicated top kits wasn't a problem in itself, it was the pricing of them. £31.95 each (ready elasticated). Now, should you want a couple of them, then it'll cost 10p short of £65, the full pole with 2 top kits can be had for £75. So it makes better sense to buy another pole for the top kits and have spare sections should you need them. There isn't a dedicated cupping kit available for it so it'll mean looking around for one that fits, or can be cut back if you need one.

If you decide to buy one of these, swap the elastics before using it and you'll have a reasonably priced 8 metre margin pole that's well balanced.

Last edited:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You can still get un elasticated top twos for a little over £20 and just convert one to a cupping top.

mytopkitisbroken

Hence Ken's use of the word "convert"!!!!

I also believe that these cheap Middy pre elasticated poles are fitted not with a plastic (winder) bung but a large metal swivel instead

With a heavy elastic and decent fish this swivel WILL damage the carbon on the inside wall of the top kit and cause it to fail/fold/snap inevitably sooner rather than later

Do yourself a favor and buy some plastic winder (or wayyyyy better still) some puller bongs and re-do the topkits to put em right

Better still use one of the Daiwa ZR poles you have, which might be old but are surely infinitely superior to the Middy White Knuckle

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Yeah but why pay an extra £10 for an elasticated one.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Yeah but why pay an extra £10 for an elasticated one.
Exactly. Especially when Middy elastic is only £3.95. I have the bung, bush and elastic all ready to be fitted.

tedstriker

Hence Ken's use of the word "convert"!!!!

I also believe that these cheap Middy pre elasticated poles are fitted not with a plastic (winder) bung but a large metal swivel instead

With a heavy elastic and decent fish this swivel WILL damage the carbon on the inside wall of the top kit and cause it to fail/fold/snap inevitably sooner rather than later
not on the 8m pole they are standard plastic bungs not swivels, might be on the 6m version or they might have changed that since i had the pole but mine came with the standard plastic bung

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Both top kits are plastic bungs.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Good to know the pole performed better yesterday Pete. The elastic I gave you is from Ian Green in Barnsley (Elite Elastics), I have it in one top kit but I do prefer Nick Gilberts elastic, especially amber core although I will be trying some of his Ultra when the Elite one is replaced.

Leafy

Leafy
not on the 8m pole they are standard plastic bungs not swivels, might be on the 6m version or they might have changed that since i had the pole but mine came with the standard plastic bung
They have standard plastic bungs on 6m ones too... it's the cheap middy bagging whips (5m I think) that have the metal swivel, they are s telescopic whip. Iv just got a 6m middy white knuckle.. yet to try it out tho.