MD Midlands Pork Pie Match - Sunday 13th October 2019

Scribe

Site Supporter
Being as this was the first match I have organised I was only expecting 10 or so participants, especially as Lakeview Fishery is not such a well known venue such as Lindholme / Decoy or Tunnel Barn Farm, so was pleasantly surprised by 18 that made it on the day.

I thought I would arrive at 7:15 AM to grab a breakfast before anyone else arrived, walking in to the cafe the first sight to greet me was Tony @notneeded rapidly getting himself on the outside of one of Lakeview’s finest breakfasts. I swear no matter how early I try to arrive for a match, Tony will always beat me, I reckon he camps out the night before.

Large (Is there any other kind?) breakfast ordered, slowly and surely fellow MD’ers arrived, it was nice to meet up with people that previously had only been names on the forum and catch up with some more familiar faces.

@Whisker and @dirk had very kindly offered their help on the day. Dirk provided a peg plan for both lakes after a bit of discussion and shuffling about it was time for the draw. Last two pegs in the bag I dutifully let @Whisker drawing peg 8 on Lagoon leaving me with peg 24 on Marina.

Peg 24 an end peg with trees directly to the left of the peg that might give some shelter I thought (wrongly.) The weather forecast was not great with heavy rain for most of the day. Prior to the match I had been given three different views on how to fish Marina, due to the amount of cold rain water going in to the lake I opted for double maggot on a size 18 and banded pellet on a 16, I had told to fish tight and sparingly until bites came and feed / catch 1-2 then move and rotate lines all day. The water felt cold so opted to kick off with maggot down the track, which resulted in a quick bite and a proper bend in the top-kit, definitely a carp on 10-12 elastic it put up a good scrap and there was no point trying to bully it in even with a puller kit, once or twice the fish headed for margin snag by trees or tried to dive under the platform standing up and holding the top kit vertically downwards at an angle helped steer it away in to open water, until it topped and I had drawn a lovely ghostie into the net 7-8 Lbs so a very good start. Next couple of fish were the smallest perch that could swallow a double red maggot.

Time to switch to pellet, my thinking was that with the water being cold and most anglers using 6- or 8-mm pellet over Summer using a 4 mm hook-bait and feeding the same might be the best way to start. I was looking to fish up close to the Island, however could I find a No 8 section, nope checked No 9 section not there or in the pole holdall, did wonder if I had left it at Jansons during the last match, gave up the search and as I reached down to add No 7 section the pole tip whammed round, here we go Scribey old son. Relishing a prolonged fight, I know match men are supposed to get the fish in quick and out again, but what the hell. Another smaller 6 Lb Ghostie in the net, this is going well I thought. That was it for a while despite moving short/long drip feeding 1-3 pellets in then another 2-3 a few minutes later. Watching @smileymiley directly opposite steadily pulling them in didn’t help, so I decided I would have a walk round and a chat and besides he had an umbrella up and I was hoping to light a cig underneath out of the rain. :D

It was obvious it had gone a bit quiet, so I thought I would be a good host and take a walk around both lakes and annoy everyone equally, no favouritism here you know. Luke @ulladubulla was sweating a bit as his six-year-old son Jos had more than he did. 😊. It became obvious that the further down the lake the less the fish were showing. Caught up with Dave Spence with a feeder rod out and enjoying himself despite the rain, does anything get him down? @kev coke and @smileymiley seemed to be neck & neck and I did think one of them would be walking away with first place. On Lagoon things seemed to be a lot quieter even @notneeded was only owning up to a couple of F1’s (as if) @Botty1970 & @dirk seemed to be doing better catching steadily.

Back to my peg I thought why not try something totally off the wall – go shallow, so swapped a rig on a top kit and drip fed 4 mm pellets elicited a bite from a 2 Lb common which was soon netted. As time moved on, I started to feed the margins. To the left was a very inviting tree cover although with the water level very high up the bank, I had to fish a few feet away from the bank to find 2 ½ Ft depth. Switched to the margin and despite a few liners I did manage a brace of Ghosties. I had a hook-link break, thankfully after the fish was in the landing net, how jammy was that ! All too soon the all-out was called.

Being the first to weigh in the scales went around to 20.12 Lbs which I was reasonably happy with, could have been better if I could have got out to the island – if only.

Once all the weights were in, checked and verified the results duly announced.

1st Notneeded 52-12 Lbs
2nd Smileymiley 49-05 Lbs
3rd Kev Coke 47-08 Lbs

The raffle afterwards was a bit of a marathon with @Whisker catching more winning tickets than fish on the day.😊 @Dave was slightly cheered up from losing a nugget to @Peter by winning a big pork pie in the raffle and nearly had a cardiac arrest when Dave Spence suggesting getting a plate and sharing it out. The last time I saw somebody go that pale was in a zombie film.

Thank you everyone that braved the awful downpour, soaked but cheerful seems to fit the bill as descriptions go. Special thanks go to @Whisker @dirk for their help on the day, it couldn’t have happened without you guys and Richard, Debbie & Jamie at Lakeview for looking after us on the day and very kindly donated some raffle prizes of kit & bait.

Pics to follow

dirk

Site Supporter
Dave, Scribe says in his report that he was on peg 24 but fished peg 14 should he be disqualified as well :p

Scribe

Site Supporter
I have dyslexic fingers I can spell, but they cnat. :D