Matrix Slik Elastic

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Changed to this Elastic a few months back. Have to say very impressed with it's performance so far.

I have been using through the Winter 12-14 and had plently of double figure Carp, no issues with its durability. Yesterday i landed 2 Carp both over 15lb and the elastic just keeps streching, take's pressure of your top kits and controls the fish well. Will be chaning up-to the 14-16 in the next few weeks.

For £7.99 it's a great elastic to try in your top-kits. Worth every penny for me. I have used plenty of differenct elastics but i feel this is perfect for commercial fishing.

Product

MrBen

Site Supporter
Got to agree just put some 10-12 in some of my F1 kits, and it's spot on, especially as you say the price is very reasonable. As my other elastics come due for replacement I know what I'll be fitting, more Slik.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Loved slik 4-6 and 6-8 over the winter, mainly silvers but landed plenty of carp on them. Personally I find that slik needs some lubricant to work perfectly when wet.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Anyone tried the NG equivalent stuff yet?
I checked it out thinking it was the same stuff as Matrix, but the rated strength is rated different per diameter, for example 4-6 Matrix is 1.00 mm the NG 4-6 is 1.2 mm so not so sure it's the same elastic.

Pclaret

I’m awaiting some NG as we speak, if it is the same stuff, NG’s ratings are probably more precise as the ratings on Slik are way too high a figure. I love Slik but I am at least one grade higher in ratings than other elastics.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have had no issues with NG elastic so will continue to use it, pricewise it suits my budget, at 2.5m only £5 (fits my 2.7m top kits with puller bung)

Pclaret

I have had no issues with NG elastic so will continue to use it, pricewise it suits my budget, at 2.5m only £5 (fits my 2.7m top kits with puller bung)
Is that the solid core that is like slim or the older ones

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use Amber Core in all sizes.

LouisD

Surely the rating (NG vs. Slik) is subjective - their is no authorised scale, Nick was on here recently saying he thought Matrix had overstated the rating and I definitely agree. I used Slik over the winter, found the orange 6-8 to be much too soft and a mate thought the same - great for silvers but 2-3 lb f1s took far too long to get in. I mostly used green 8-10 but still thought it was lighter than my winter favourite of pink 6-10 microbore. It does retract better when it's cold so I used Slik when it was less than 2-3 degrees or so but went back to microbore when it was warmer. My biggest gripe is that Slik doesn't seem to power up and just stretches then eventually bottoms out. For me, it is more predictable than hollows when it's cold but I won't be looking to switch for summer.

markyboy

Used the orange 6-8 and the yellow 4-6, the yeloow has discoloured and gone brittle over the last 150mm or so at the pole tip in less than 3 months so have binned it off. Also found it to be too stretchy as the 6-8 orange stretches far further than the aqua drennan bungee which I believe is 5-8 rating meaning extra time in landing fish and less control, also much more susceptible to sticking in the pole when wet than the drennan.

haltham

Tried NG elastic twice - not impresssed following two breaks!!!
Now using Matrix - IMO far superior to NG and a similar price.
Most of the local match guys also rate it.
Enough said !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have been using NG elastic for some years, only had breaks when I had the elastic in for some while and failed to check it. The black Amber core in one top at the moment has been in for 18 months and apart from losing a couple of inches where I attach the dacron it is OK. I now check all my top kits for any elastic damage before use.

And as for price a 2.5m length of amber core (fits my MAP top kits) costs £5, where Matrix Slik is £7.75 for a 3 metre length which would mean a waste of .5 of a metre, not quite a similar price!!!!!!

Pclaret

How is ng Amber core relevant to what this thread is about 😂
NG has his own ‘solid’ like slik now, mine has arrived but not used it yet so can’t comment

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I think when people ask how long an elastic has lasted is the wrong way of asking the question.

A better way would be how many times have you used the elastic before it has started degrading.

I could have had an elastic in my topkits for a year but only actually used it half a dozen times where as someone else has used the same elastic 2/3 times a week so obviously it will not last them very long.

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
I checked it out thinking it was the same stuff as Matrix, but the rated strength is rated different per diameter, for example 4-6 Matrix is 1.00 mm the NG 4-6 is 1.2 mm so not so sure it's the same elastic.
Personally I think Matrix have overated there grades a bit so mine are a bit lower. It is pretty much the same elastic if you match the diameters

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I did order some of the equivalent from ng, but didn't go through for some reason. I might try again sometime. Wanted to try it for the winter really, as hollow don't seem to be as good in the cold.

Total

Site Supporter
I did order some of the equivalent from ng, but didn't go through for some reason. I might try again sometime. Wanted to try it for the winter really, as hollow don't seem to be as good in the cold.
I can confirm it (NG's equivalent) works very well in the springtime too! ;)(y)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Fishing Tackle For Sale 4
S Tackle Talk 0
G Tackle Talk 4
S Tackle Talk 5
T Tackle Talk 3