Match rules.

Expanda

Fished a small club match yesterday and the question came up."Does potting in feed on the pole while a feeder rod is out constitute using two rods"?.
The consensus was that it doesn't, but made us think! I suppose there's a distinction between "using" and "fishing". I think common sense prevailed this time😀

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It depends on how the rules are laid out.
In our club it would lead to being disqualified as it would be seen as 'pre-baiting', not allowed in matches. Does it count as using 2 rods? Not if you have only 1 line 'actively' fishing.

Last edited:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Would that be before the starting whistle or afterwards? If after the start it can't be prebaiting surely or anybody throwing a bit of bait would also be breaking the rules.
Whats the difference between a cupping top set and a catapult?

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
As "pre" means before how can it be "pre-baiting" when a match has started, seems a bit misleading - just sayin

Lee Richards

Surely a rod is only actively fishing if a hook is attached and as it's just a pole with pot kit there is no element of doubt.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
As "pre" means before how can it be "pre-baiting" when a match has started, seems a bit misleading - just sayin
It's how our rules are laid out. When the match has already started, you put your rod/pole/feeder out..yes?. Now, if you are fishing feeder style during the match, you are NOT allowed to bait up another swim for the pole as it's classed as pre-baiting another swim. And the same goes for the pole. If you start on the pole, you are NOT allowed to send out balls of groundbait with a catty for the feeder, again, it's seen as pre-baiting another swim.

Lee Richards

That's why it's important that you are aware of the rules for any contests you fish or the waters you visit.
Fished a few carp contests in the past where spodding is the norm yet on UKzeros waters it's a no,no.

lea77

it depends on your club rules during a club match however model match rules which lots of clubs follow allow feeding by hand or catapult but not by using a second rod/pole while actually fishing

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's how our rules are laid out. When the match has already started, you put your rod/pole/feeder out..yes?. Now, if you are fishing feeder style during the match, you are NOT allowed to bait up another swim for the pole as it's classed as pre-baiting another swim. And the same goes for the pole. If you start on the pole, you are NOT allowed to send out balls of groundbait with a catty for the feeder, again, it's seen as pre-baiting another swim.
Then, if you go by the rules, while on the pole say fishing at 6 metres you would not be able to loose feed a margin swim, as this could be classed as prebaiting.

I have always thought it wrong to use a pole cup to feed while fishing either bomb or feeder.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Model Match Rule 10

10. A competitor shall have in use one rod or pole, one line and one single hook at
one time, but may have other rods or poles and tackle assembled for use in
position behind him/her, if possible, providing that no such other tackles are
baited.

This rule is interpreted by the Angling trust and most other match organisers as ruling out the "use" of a pole to feed while a rod or other pole is being fished. The important part is not necessarily the word "use" but the second part of the sentence saying that all other rods/poles must be unbaited (often broken in AT matches) and behind the angler. The interpretation of the word "behind" is also very loosely applied. If the other rods/poles remain "behind" the angler then logic dictates they cannot be used for feeding as they would then be in front.

Most match organisers will make it clear whether the practice of feeding with a pole while fishing another rod is allowed. Most don't.

90sGear

Site Supporter
Our club doesn't allow it and I agree. Also would you want to have a fish on the feeder whilst having your pole out feeding , it increases the chance of it getting away or worst potentially over stressing potentially harming the fish. However it does allow your to benefit from the "sods law" in fishing of getting a bite whilst distracted IE pouring tea, rolling a fag etc :)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Then, if you go by the rules, while on the pole say fishing at 6 metres you would not be able to loose feed a margin swim, as this could be classed as prebaiting.
That is correct mate.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Most applications of the match rules prohibit feeding with a pole whilst fishing another rod, that makes sense to me, you should really be in control of your tackle at all times !

One local club to us used to allow pole feeding simply because they fished a method feeder down the edge and cupped over the top of it with devastating results.

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Chucking in feed on another line by hand when fishing another is banned. That's nuts

sjmclean

That's a ridiculous rule, can't believe a club has actually made that it's rule. Surely you're misinterpreting it UKZero1?

I think under CIPS rules you can be penalised for having two hooks baited at the same time. I'm sure Fisho etc have had drama with people fishing say the pole and having a pellet on a band on their roost.

Most matches I fish doing what the OP asked is banned but you can feed other lines by hand.

Paul22

Site Supporter
Good thread this and interesting opinions.
I suppose at club level the rules need to be clear before you start as the author has done so all anglers are all doing the same.
Next if the club rules contradict fishery rules this must Be clarified with the fishery..... often fishery owners will allow some club rules but it’s better to be upfront.
Now I don’t see how potting in acts as another rod being fished with as there is no line and hook?
But I do see the dangers of potting in and a big old carp pulls your rod in whilst you’re not looking (it has happened)
As said I can’t see the problem with feeding by hand and our club allows potting in.
I don’t however feed with a pot when my method is in the water as I don’t think it’s fair on the fishery or fish or me if my rod gets yanked in 🤔

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Scribe Fishing Talk 25
crowder Fishing Talk 17
S Fishing Talk 7
B Fishing Talk 11
Aquaman2000uk Fishing Talk 39