Match fishing cheats????

Fav

Four of the anglers in my club have formed a little cartel. They share knowledge and tips pre-match (nothing wrong with that) however, they also use radios to relay info to each other in real time during the match ie what bait and tactics are working for them. Essentially they are fishing as a team in a competition for individuals and sharing their collective winnings equally. Not to take anything away from them as individuals - they’re all really good anglers in their own right and I’d wager they’d all do well fishing on their own as per everyone else. The majority of the pools tends to go their way in every match.

Strikes me that this approach allows them to work through 4 times as many different tactics in the same time an individual can and figure out what the most successful methods will be on the day way ahead of everyone else. This is probably most helpful to them when the fishing is hard or we are on a new venue.

Cheating or not? Discuss.....

Nunachuk

Site Supporter
Not in my opinion, when I fish in Holland on the river Ijsell, some guys from England use their mobiles to talk to each other throughout the match. I have never seen any rules against it.

jasonb

Four of the anglers in my club have formed a little cartel. They share knowledge and tips pre-match (nothing wrong with that) however, they also use radios to relay info to each other in real time during the match ie what bait and tactics are working for them. Essentially they are fishing as a team in a competition for individuals and sharing their collective winnings equally. Not to take anything away from them as individuals - they’re all really good anglers in their own right and I’d wager they’d all do well fishing on their own as per everyone else. The majority of the pools tends to go their way in every match.

Strikes me that this approach allows them to work through 4 times as many different tactics in the same time an individual can and figure out what the most successful methods will be on the day way ahead of everyone else. This is probably most helpful to them when the fishing is hard or we are on a new venue.

Cheating or not? Discuss.....
If this is club matches the term not cricket springs to mind.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it did not give them an advantage they would not bother doing it. It may not be cheating in that it does not break any actual rules but it is gamesmanship. It is impossible for the rules to cover every thing !

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Model Match Rule 25

"No bait, equipment or information can be given to any competitor during the course of the match. Competitors withdrawing from the match are not allowed to give their groundbait or hookbait to or approach another competitor during the duration of a match."

What needs clarifying is whether the club have adopted the MMRs in particular R25. Needs to be raised with the committee and discussed probably at the AGM. It will lead to a heated debate. But if only 4 members are benefitting then a vote to ban the practice should succeed.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
What's the difference between using radios and bank runners?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Model Match Rule 25

"No bait, equipment or information can be given to any competitor during the course of the match.
A stupid rule that has been routinely ignored for the last 40 years - in fact even before the NFA drafted the first set of model match rules.

Are bankrunners supposed to remain silent in team matches?
They are only there in order to pass information onto fellow team members.
Does they guy sat with the finalists at Fisho remain silent for the full five hours?

I've got no problem with anglers sharing information - using radios is no real difference to asking the bloke on the next peg what he's catching on.
Can be counter productive anyway - just 'cos an angler on one side of a lake is catching on one particular method or bait it rarely follows that everybody else will catch using the same tactics. There's no point spending five hours fishing for carp if your peg is black with ide or skimmers and there are no carp in front of you.

Simon

Dusty Rhodes

Site Supporter
Don’t match men usually liaise with each other anyway and ask what they are catching on? I know in my club people will shout over to the next peg and ask what they are getting them on.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Don’t match men usually liaise with each other anyway and ask what they are catching on? I know in my club people will shout over to the next peg and ask what they are getting them on.
In this case, most others will hear it. So could benefit all

carphauler

It's a bit much on a club match and are they really that good that they need 4 brains to work out what's working?

jononcb

Happens all the time lol people just text each other to see if they are catching.
Or go to a Fishomania or Feedermasters qualifier and as soon as people draw they are on the phone to a local crack.
If that happened in my club I would just fish 10 times harder to beat them 🤣

Simon90

It might not be against the rules, but its not really in the spirit of things, especially for a club match.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
Personally I cant see it making a deal of difference . most of us will have asked an angler nearby what they are catching on if they seem to be catching and we are not ... I certainly have . Even though I do it occasionally I dont think it matters . Every peg is different even ten metres can make a huge difference as we all know so ultimately to be successful in the long run its always going to be about working it out for yorself . It could in fact be detrimental ..... going down the route of plugging away at a method just because your mate on the other side of the lake is catching on it is entirely unhelpful if its not working on your peg . I imagine its more about perception if a group appear to be doing well sharing such information its going to pee off some of the others but the fact is they may have done equally well in any case . There are enough useless and/or random fishery specific rules as it is in my view without trying to address what I would see as a non issue with more rules and bans . Of course I can see the other side of the coin just putting my own viewpoint forward.