Marcus Rashford

Lee Richards

Now I think he is a wonderful talent and his goal tally so far shows he really has something about him.

Now here is the however.
Looking at it from an England perspective I worry about him and especially if in a big game.
He has shown a few times now that he doesn't have the ability/confidence to take goal keepers one on ones and his decision making looks a bit ropey.

I am sure that if the right coach looked after him he could kick on to be an exceptional player, but at the moment I have some niggling doubts about him.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
I have no niggling doubts about Rashford for club or country.

Confidence? Only one to pick the ball up and take the pressure pen against PSG
Under the right manager? Tethered under Jose and pressured. Let off the lead under Ole and 100% better. Watching the games and seeing the difference in movement from him and the fact he is probably the first name in the team after De Gea, rather than the first one on the bench under Jose.

Taking those newly re-discovered attributes to the international stage then yes you have factor in the following, none of which imo are Rashford's problem, hence your post could have been titled 'how do England get the best out of Rashford'

Will England set up and play to his strengths like Utd do? Or just stick him up top alone and expect him to work miracles when the ball is finally released after they tick the keep ball box for the FA?
I wasn't sure of Southgate, under your right coach point, but doing well I feel (bar the tactical naivety against Croatia and when it really mattered) and seems to be good with man management of older and younger players alike.
In terms of players taking their form to their national team, this has been an issue for years and you could list a good few England squads that 'on paper' should have won something by now.

Sorry Lee, when I think you are spot on I will say so, when I disagree I will say so, but singling out Rashford now as someone needing to pick up national form and in light that he has been a revelation lately does seem to be way off for me? I would be more concerned about say Stirling, x amount of hundreds of minutes at the world cup, no goals, hesitant, nervy, loses the ball......... scores for City within 9 minutes of the prem starting, there are also plenty of others who would worry me before Rashford at the moment.

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I like Rashford and Angry Bird Lingard 2 young lads who i think will be part of the National team for many years.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
One of the first names on the England teamsheet in my opinion.
Who are the alternatives?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Yep exactly. Take Harry Kane as another who falls into what I tried to say.
Fine in the qualifiers against wherethehellisthatistan and to a degree the tournament group games, when it came on top, went missing against Sweden, largely not an issue as we won, went missing against Croatia and then it mattered.

Lee are you sure your post wasn't just an early morning get a nibble out of northants type post?:)

Lee Richards

Not at all as I haven't said he shouldn't be picked,regular or anything similar.
I have however a doubt about him at the moment delivering in the game that matters.

Will stand by my observation there is still room for development and not sure he will get it at United or move up to the next level.
Time will tell.

BTW I could have made similar observations about other players but choose Rashwood as he is the one I feel has more potential.

There is no written rule you always have to vigously defend the players of the club's you support.
Or do you think he is the finished article?

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
I would have agreed on him not getting what he needs at Utd a few months back, but much better now. Can see what you mean about your choice of Rashford as a casing point in that you would like to see him do more because you think he can, yes I get that and that ultimately it could help England.

Re my 'vigorous' defence of my teams players? I would be just as vigorous to defend any player, Utd or not if felt something was wrong or didn't agree with another's opinion on them. Don't be in here a month Lee and suggest I am biased. I know what is really bugging you.

Being a Utd fan, seeing and hearing what we do every week and also to borrow your phrase, there is by the same token no written rule that says whenever a point or opinion is aired, that it must be Utd or anything to with them that is used as an example, you would be surprised how often it is. I don't think he is the finished article and could be improved yes, but as many hold him in high regard already, where does that leave the rest, you could have chosen. Could have been talking about Barkley, Rose etc.

Not much been said about City's offside winner has there, imagine if that had been......you know the rest.

Last edited:

Lee Richards

No accusation of bias from me at all and it is you who has taken it upon yourself to assign it.
I tried to start a topic and projected my thoughts on an extremely gifted player that I feel needs to kick on but as usual the shutters have come down.

Perhaps you are right in I have only been on this forum a month and my openness and non-bias is clearly not a good fit.
Life is to short to get involved in pointless squabbles so best I leave those who don't like opinions to it.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Lee.
You are discussing football with someone who likes to discuss football first, trust me I don't do pointless squabbles, but I will stand up for myself when someone gets me wrong.

You inferred that my 'vigorous' defence was due to it involving one of my clubs players, call it an inference due to inferred bias, rose tinted glasses, anything you wish. You made that inference.

You are now suggesting that you aren't a good fit in here because it seems you are non-bias, another dig. I have no issue either with opinions, but whether I agree with someone or disagree with them, will be driven by opinion alone, nothing else.

I have tried to engage you on several threads about all manner of football matters, only for my posts to be ignored, an ignorance I would suggest is due to the fact that I refuse to get involved in any taking sides culture and will happily discuss football with some whom you have made it quite clear you dislike, and again judged after a month.

You have said your bit, I have said mine. I won't always agree, sometimes I will, but it depends on the content for me and not whose name is next to it.

Talk football Lee, that's me all day. Play games, that isn't me, I won't say I will leave it to others, because that imo would be making inferences against other people, again, something else I make a point of not doing.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
I thought his goal, in what was a tough game for his team last night, showed a developing maturity, great take.
There are many examples of fantastic players who achieved far more in club football than on the international stage.

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
No accusation of bias from me at all and it is you who has taken it upon yourself to assign it.
I tried to start a topic and projected my thoughts on an extremely gifted player that I feel needs to kick on but as usual the shutters have come down.

Perhaps you are right in I have only been on this forum a month and my openness and non-bias is clearly not a good fit.
Life is to short to get involved in pointless squabbles so best I leave those who don't like opinions to it.
@Lee Richards The more of your posts I read I come to the conclusion that you have been on this forum in a previous guise twice before. The way you post is easy to recognise, it is difficult to disguise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wise Owl Football Corner 6
Northantslad Football Corner 6
B The Club House 0