MAP TKS Pole Broken Sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishyman

Hi
I bought a MAP TKS 425 Pole last year and had the cupping section break straight away, this took weeks to replace and was replaced with a power top two. Should of sniffed a rat then! I then broke a No.6 section it has now been 8 weeks and I'm still waiting. I have read across the internet of similar problems and would like to hear from others if they have had similar problems. Cheap imports are poor value if you can't get spares, I am now going to save for a Tricast, British made and the hold mandrels for years to make spares. Tackle shops get a lot of abuse from customer but blame the suppliers. Tight lines

Big-Bronze

tks section's from 99p

http://www.anytackle.co.uk/fishing_tackle_auctions.php?category_id=84

mikeb511

Site Supporter
hi in April this year i orded 2 power top 2,s for a tks 825 and i am still whating ,i have been told two more week,s ...But map have give me two power top 2,s of a tks 725 free as a apology which is good of them.all the problem,s come from japan which we all no was very bad.SO map say they will have it all sorted out soon.

fishyman

They told me the poles are made in China not Japan if you go on there site they have a China office. I think its just more excuses, I don't know about other companies operate but I would go out of my way to ensure happy customers. Glad you have had something from them but all I've got is excuses. Hope can get back to fishing one day. I will say though is if you want a pole that will be supported well don't buy a MAP TKS pole, I hope in the future that service and support is as important as short term profit to MAP.

norm

this is great news to find out

AFTER i have just bought a MAP TKS 425

hope these are just one offs

FatRog

Originally posted by norm

this is great news to find out

AFTER i have just bought a MAP TKS 425

hope these are just one offs
Nope! I bought a 425 on recommendation, not just by the shop but by quite a few other MAP users. Used it just twice in November last year before the big freeze. Shortly after I restarted in the spring, I discovered that the no. 7 section was coming unwrapped - not serious, but needed attention. Then in early April I was playing a small carp, had to put some pressure on and the no. 6 shattered - not broke, shattered. I reached past the break, grabbed the no. 5 and discovered that under pressure it was like jelly, my thumb went straight through the wall. Leeda accepted all three defects as manufacturing faults, but it was late June before I saw the nos. 6 and 7 replaced. As for the no. 5, I'm still waiting. Their customer care people are creative but essentially useless. And frankly, if and when the last section does arrive, I have no faith in the pole any more. I was lucky to get one of the very last TKS 1000 10m margin poles, so I can still use the old top kits and elastics.

On my experience to date I can recommend the TKS 1000, but I would give the other models a wide berth.

Peacock

I've have a TKS 40 for about two years now, I've broken the No.5 section shipping back (no strain just cracked and broke) and the No.4 section possibly taking off the top three, disappointed with Leeda who failed initially to even aknowledge my e mails but eventually gave me two universal power kits (not nice). However much better service on the No.4 kit, requested through my local tackle shop Monday, delivered and collected Wednesday same week and it seems a reasonable pole for the, not sure I'd go MAP poles again though

fishyman

Its great to see MAP has all the time to advertise but none for there customer. The angling press just wants to fill the pages and never say anything against advertisers. I have also heard that a certain company that fills half the pages sells absolute bunk! If anything I've learnt is never buy a new release and customer service is as important as the pole your buying. Don't get burnt buy British made like a good Diawa or Tri-cast. Buy cheap buy twice. Why do I always get caught up with the hype:(

Last edited:

MAPMIKE2

Fishy man,
1) Firstly have you returned your warranty card back to us when you purchased the pole?
2) Has the section in question been returned to us via a retailer?
3) What is your full name and address, so I can check on our system?
4) Can you PM me the above details and I will see what I can do.

Let me explain why there has been a problem with supplying sections over the last few months. Carbon yarn (the raw state of carbon) is produced in Japan. Due to huge demand from the aerospace industry and producers of wind turbines, Carbon yard was in very short supply this year. On top of this the disaster (earth quake) that happened in Japan in March this year meant limited power supply and further delays in manufacturing, so carbon has been in short supply this year. There is simply nothing ANY manufacturer could do about this.

Do people really think that we do not order or carry sections on purpose

Please note that this will be my last post on this open forum.

Best Regards

Mike

riverangler

Well that's all fine and dandy MAPMIKE2 but these good people are left with poles that they cannot use which is not good enough at all. On the plus side I didn't buy one of your pole although I did seriously consider one of your top end models.

richox12

'They told me the poles are made in China not Japan if you go on there site they have a China office. I think its just more excuses' - or it's actually the truth as the material can come from a different place to that where the manufacture is. We make stainless Steel parts but the SS doesn't come from UK.

'Well that's all fine and dandy MAPMIKE2 but these good people are left with poles that they cannot use which is not good enough at all' - did you not read Mikes post ? Do you not know that there was a HUGE earthquake in Japan where thousands lost their lives ???? What about those goois people ??? Do you think people have crystal balls and can predict when someone is going to buy up all the raw materials that they also use or can predict when the supplier might not have a factory anymore or workers anymore or no electricity or when trasnport is so badly damaged that they cannot ship any materials etc etc.

Obviously people should budget for natural disasters and everything else which is totally beyond their comtrol because you must be able to. Well done.

riverangler

The trouble is there are still unsuspecting anglers buying these poles oblivious to the fact that there seems to be real issues with some sections being fragile and the fact they have little chance of obtaining spares in a reasonable timescale when they do break. This will leave them unable to use their new pole for a number of weeks and no doubt feeling rather upset about the whole situation. Anyway good luck to all of you that are affected by this current problem and I hope it is soon resolved.

fishyman

Dear MAPMIKE

I have tried to speak to Leeda but no one returns calls or emails, I have left messages for the last two days if you check your answer-phone. Feel free to call! Yes the pole was just out of warranty, but I'd only used it half a dozen times before it broke as I'd had to take a break from fishing. If you couldn't get your washing machine repaired for three months it might make you feel like the company in question is failing. Its not the customers problem when a supplier has problems is it, I'm a trades person and believe me if I make a mistake in quoting or time frame it cost me time and money. Why not take sections from poles in stock, oh no it'll cut in to your profits, but when your name is associated with poor service you'll have plenty sat on the shelf. Try taking a leaf out of Tri-cast book, they will produce sections for 25 years. That's customer service to be proud of. Thanks to the openness of the internet at least we can have a voice and help others to avoid our mistakes. Anyone interested in a MAP TKS425 pole when I get a new section?

MAPMIKE2

Dear Fishyman,

There is no reason for sarcastic comments on an open forum. Does that really achieve anything or help me solve your problem? At the end of the day Im trying to help you, but unless you give me the information, how can I? I have already stated that I will not post on open forums, and would prefer PMS in the future please.

So to help you I need to know: What retailer have you ordered the pole section from (as I did not know the pole was out of warranty, so I did not know if the section was chargeable or not, hence asking the question).

Just for the record we had stock of number 6 sections last month, so the question I need to find out is why you have not received your section. Blame is always pointed at us, but have you ever thought outside the box and that there could be another problem?? People are always quick of the mark thinking that its the manufacturer who is at fault, but thats not always the case!

We keep stock of sections for poles (in most cases) for at least 10 years, which I think is acceptable. We also take sections from poles from stock always have done, so we do everything we can to get replacement sections to customers.

Please note that I will be on Holiday next week, so a quickly reply by PM would be helpful in resolving the problem!

pole addict

There are plenty of satisfied MAP customers on this site and others.

Unfortunately there will always be one or two that receive a "poorer" service,you can't please all of the people...etc etc.

Sounds like MAPMIKE is being more than fair and trying to sort you out.

[:T][:T]

mikeb511

Site Supporter
hi i have to say i have the tks 825 and it is outstanding pole,,yes i have been whating a good while for my top two,s to come,,,but you tell me a fishing company that give,s you free top two,s as a apology,i wood say that is good after sale,s serves [:T][:T][:T]

fishyman

I should hope a flagship price pole would come with a flagship service. Us lesser mortals will have to contend with waiting:( Don't take it to heart I'm only jealous.

fishyman

Just a quick update, I have sent a PM to MapMike with no reply yet(23/8/11). Still waiting 3 months on and still no reply let alone a spare section. My tackle shop has told me that they will no longer get spares for anyone again after this fiasco. It is a shame that this service is no longer available for other anglers and is just another death nail in the tackle trade. I know I will get a replacement in time but when people treat you like a hassle to their business after spending hundreds of pounds on their product, then people may choose to spend there money elsewhere. It would of been expected that MapMike may have replied to my post with an apology rather than a list of reasons why there was a delay, but why should Leeda do this I can't go elsewhere.

mikeb511

Site Supporter
Originally posted by mikeb511

hi in April this year i orded 2 power top 2,s for a tks 825 and i am still whating ,i have been told two more week,s ...But map have give me two power top 2,s of a tks 725 free as a apology which is good of them.all the problem,s come from japan which we all no was very bad.SO map say they will have it all sorted out soon.
HI TO ALL
up date yesterday i got a email from map after emailing them last week,,They have told me i will not get my power top two,s till October now.MAP did not tell me why just they will email me when in stock ,,,, [?][?][?]

MAPMIKE2

Originally posted by fishyman

Just a quick update, I have sent a PM to MapMike with no reply yet(23/8/11). Still waiting 3 months on and still no reply let alone a spare section. My tackle shop has told me that they will no longer get spares for anyone again after this fiasco. It is a shame that this service is no longer available for other anglers and is just another death nail in the tackle trade. I know I will get a replacement in time but when people treat you like a hassle to their business after spending hundreds of pounds on their product, then people may choose to spend there money elsewhere. It would of been expected that MapMike may have replied to my post with an apology rather than a list of reasons why there was a delay, but why should Leeda do this I can't go elsewhere.
I have not had a PM from you??? Can you check you have sent it??

If you look at other at other posts on here you will see that I have sorted a few problems out for people recently.

Please PM me if the info and I will sort it out.

Regards

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.