Maggots in the freezer

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
Think it’s ok to keep maggots frozen in the house freezer they won’t taint anything else will they?

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Try to put them in a black bag, apparently it stops “freezer burn” if they are in there for a long time.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
They will be fine mate but to be on the safe side I would individually wrap them in cling film
How long would that take ? there must be several thousand in a pint, individually wrapping would take forever.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I don't freeze my maggots anymore. I buy them a few days before l intend to use them. Clean them off and cover them in water. Change the water every couple of days. They will stay a nice colour and plump for 2 weeks or so.
These were 2 weeks oldish and getting a bit washed out but OK for balling in down the dock. FB_IMG_1582059161214.jpg FB_IMG_1582059171922.jpg

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Not having any tackle shops within 20 miles I buy them from Willy Worms. It’s not worth buying less than about four pints so I put half of them in the freezer. I must have about a gallon of them in there at the moment.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try to put them in a black bag, apparently it stops “freezer burn” if they are in there for a long time.
I have never heard of preventing maggots getting freezer burn by using black plastic bags, maybe it does. What using black bags definitely stops is casters getting bag burn, as they do in clear bags. (Not in the freezer)

If I want dead maggots I tend to buy them live and tie them down in a plastic bag, that way they will last at least two weeks in the fridge, get out the ones you want and cover with water, that way they will stay plump and keep their colour. If you want to freeze them , the best way I find is to freeze them in water, this stops any freezer burn and stops them stretching/shrinking. Once you thaw them out, drain the water off and put them in fresh water. If you keep them under water you can refreeze any left over and repeat the thaw process - you can get away with this 2-4 times depending on the ambient temp when they are defrosted, before they start to discolour.

Fishy Medic

Site Supporter
I've started putting mine in glug pots in the freezer. No water. They don't stick together and all look spot on once put in water to defrost.

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
I'm surprised nobody has highlighted the deadly threat to life & limb posed by putting maggots in the home freezer.... when the missus finds out! :mad:

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
I’ve told her and said don’t mix up frozen mince meat with dead red!

Simon R

Site Supporter
I bung anything fishing related - deadbaits, left over groundbait, liquidised bread, half used tins of corn or hemp etc - into big, old margarine tubs with the contents written on the lid in big letters. Providing they're in the tubs and she can't actually see the contents I can get away with just about anything.
Fortunately I don't need to worry about dead maggots because I never use the things - casters are far superior.

Simon