Maggotdrowner caught without a valid licence by EA Bailiff!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Risby Ponds yesterday, Driffield Woldsmen AC had a match on Folly Pond.

An EA bailiff arrived, and proceeded to check the licences of all the anglers.
There were no issues until he reached the last angler, who confidently handed over his licence.
"It's expired. Very nice gudgeon," said the bailiff, "but have you got a valid one with a bream on it?"
o_O:sick:

I distinctly remember receiving the new licence, taking the old licence out of my wallet, then snipping one of them up.
Sadly, I must have cut up and binned the new licence.

Of course, he did a check there and then, and confirmed that I do have a current licence and pay by direct debit.Still an offence to be fishing without carrying one.
And all the time he was doing the checks, my "friends" in the club were calling out helpful suggestions
"Hang him!"
"Cuff him and bang him up!"
"Taser him!"

So DO check twice before you cut up your old licence, you know it makes sense!
:oops:

sagalout

Site Supporter
Now the licence don't run between fixed dates how can the picture be meaningful?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
He looked at the expiry date on the back of the licence.

Anybody know how to get a replacement licence, and what it costs?

wardwa

when I did something similar several years ago now , the EA bailiff got me a replacement sent out - well not exactly - I received a licence every day for 6 days - well better to have too many than none I suppose

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Me being cautious I keep my old licences and just add the new one to the wallet. I may cull them up to a couple of years back every now and then.

I have also copied the licence and keep copies in my fly and coarse gear just in case I forget to swap the wallet around when switching from one to the other.

notneeded

Site Supporter
You've got that many wallets stuffed with white 5ers I'm surprised you can remember which ones have your licence in ?? 😂😂😂

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Was it Paul Caygill by any chance that copped you ? Im not laughing ...... Honest. 😆😆

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Mine is also a Gudgeon, runs out in August, but new one already ordered and paid for. :upthumb:

jpwebster

Now that is a belter of a mistake.
Fished Risby today on carp pond, folly was full, busiest I've seen it.
Heard it was a good match @banksy how'd you do?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
The match on the Saturday was won with 150lb.
We were there on the Sunday, and the fish followed the wind, with 66lb winning it down at the windy end.
Weights gradually reduced as you came up the lake, and I was pegged last, next to the great unwashed public section *
kids running around all day, tent pegs being hammered in, and the constant "Do you eat 'em then, or do you put 'em back?"
from people wandering round.
I had 15lb, the guy opposite had 8lb.

* as opposed to the great unwashed fishing club members!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Coda to this sorry tale.

Hunting through my wallet for my driving licence today, I found my current fishing licence stuck to the back of it.
Stuck by that sticky stuff the EA use to attach it to the covering letter.
Doh! :oops:

Fartacus

It's a sorry fishery, fished by folk just having bought a rod.

I've fished it three times and three off the time folk casting across the pond with 20 - 30 yards of my swim because I was catching a few fish !!!!!!

And have seen newbies not being able to take the hook out so then the line is snipped and fish put back with the hook in it.

And the amount of fish with damaged mouths is not good!!!!

I know I'm off on a tangent from the topic but Risby isn't good for fishing and fishing image.