M25 and M1 speed cameras WARNING

dumdum

Site Supporter
Just enquired with a friend and he says the guidelines (not the law!) are still 10%+2 so the cameras have been on since 2013, and the speed at which they operate is still consistent with back then, or nowt has changed 😊

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
That's all very well, but I got done for doing 69 on the M25 even though their was no restriction showing on the gantries.

Mind you, I was parked on the hard shoulder at the time...

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
It would be interesting to know how often the cameras are calibrated and given certification. They must get some damage/wear and tear with the inclement weather over the past year.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
the funniest part of this whole thread...... from what i've been told it's all been set off again by a bored 14yr old schoolboy who shared it on facebook claiming his dad was a taxi driver and they'd had a letter warning them about it....

They used to have "share races" on facebook, start a rumour, make the post so it can be shared and then add "share this" to it and see how many shares it could get...the first one to get a preagreed amount of shares won the race......it was amazing how many gullible people would rush to share something.....even moreso if it had some well know official office/group mentioned in it.

I even had to get a department head at a local hospital to remove all the notices she'd printed off and stuck up warning the staff to be careful about a "new spray" that was being used in pubs/clubs it is sprayed onto the glass/bottle of a drink and it knocks out the victim for 24hrs....you'd think someone working in a medical role would be able to recognise bullsh** like that wouldn't you!!

As i always tell people sharing stuff on facebook....google is your friend ...it can stop you looking daft!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
You have to maintain a healthy scepticism of 'news' circulating on social media. Always have a quick google on things before you share them - it's amazing how many are fakes.

Phoenixicus

Nemesis tua si forte quid
Sorry guys according to some on here you can no longer use Google as a viable source of information as they don't like it.
Shame he is no longer with us as it would have been interesting them telling prolific internet user Stephen Hawking that.

Hey what did he know?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DFL

It would be interesting to know how often the cameras are calibrated and given certification. They must get some damage/wear and tear with the inclement weather over the past year.
That’s a very valid question, I’d guess Nick Freeman, lawyer to the rich and famous asks this question as his first point of call, if there is no valid certificate within the given timescale for a particular device, then you’re going to be found not guilty on a technicality.

It’s also with remembering.... if you get stopped by the police for alleged speeding, NEVER admit to breaking the limit. It’s a question they will often ask because they haven’t actually got the required evidence so they will tell you that an admission of speeding will render a fixed penalty, if you don’t admit you’ll go to court and possibly face a more severe penalty.

Having said that, there are precious few police cars on the road nowadays doing that sort of thing.

dumdum

Site Supporter
Sorry guys according to some on here you can no longer use Google as a viable source of information as they don't like it.
Shame he is no longer with us as it would have been interesting them telling prolific internet user Stephen Hawking that.

Hey what did he know?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He knew to research any ‘facts’ on the internet before posting them all over everywhere left right and centre as it maybjust be a spotty kid in his bedroom posting stuff for a laugh! I am all for using google... but have a bit of common sense as well 😊

Phoenixicus

Nemesis tua si forte quid
I would imagine that if someone is trying to prove a point there could be the use of the "friend of a friend told me" as well - noticed that and Top Trumping has started to creep into quiet a few threads at the moment
Tend to avoid that myself and only point to what others have put down in writing and if relevant use actual names.
Still it's only a forum and people look for satisfaction from it in many different ways
All good (y)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
They've just erected a sign near me which tells you the speed you're doing. (30 mph) I usually go past at 30, and it always says 28 mph, oh and I get a "thank you" too.
It's saying 28 because that's the speed that you're travelling at. All vehicle speedometers over-read. It's an agreement between the guvmint and the Society of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers.

dumdum

Site Supporter
It's saying 28 because that's the speed that you're travelling at. All vehicle speedometers over-read. It's an agreement between the guvmint and the Society of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers.
Not all, my Clio RS200 (yes it’s french!) reads bang on, the rule is they must be tested and don’t ever over read, but they can be bang on with brand new tyres of the correct size

rudd

Not all, my Clio RS200 (yes it’s french!) reads bang on, the rule is they must be tested and don’t ever over read, but they can be bang on with brand new tyres of the correct size
Would think they are almost bang on for the standard variation of the particular model.
Eg. it comes with 15inch standard wheels and relevant tyre to match.
Next variation comes with 16 inch, next 17 inch, sport model has 18 inch low profile wider tyres etc etc.
All have same speedo so all cannot be correct, there must be at least a very small difference when putting on bigger wheels / tyre types and the difference would go either way?

This may explain why in motorway roadworks with a limit of 40mph why I slowly catch other vehicles and also have some go slowly past me. I set restrictor to 40 and most other vehicles are doing the same speed but always a few either side - and always one who thinks the limit doesnt apply

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
The Speedo is calaculated for one standard tyre / wheel combination e.g. 17” with a 235/55 tyre going up to an 18” tyre with 235/50 tyre would only add -7mm to the rolling circumference of the tyre and would not even register on your Speedo.
Therefore if you swap rims and tyres but stick to the manufactures aspect ratios then there should be no discernible difference in Speedo readings.
However go outside this then you should leagaly have the Speedo recalibrated.

rudd

The Speedo is calaculated for one standard tyre / wheel combination e.g. 17” with a 235/55 tyre going up to an 18” tyre with 235/50 tyre would only add -7mm to the rolling circumference of the tyre and would not even register on your Speedo.
Therefore if you swap rims and tyres but stick to the manufactures aspect ratios then there should be no discernible difference in Speedo readings.
However go outside this then you should leagaly have the Speedo recalibrated.
Thanks for info, have thought about a few times when checking sticker on drivers doorframe for psi settings.
Bmw has alot of variations, Nissan has one as it only takes one very expensive size!!!

dumdum

Site Supporter
Would think they are almost bang on for the standard variation of the particular model.
Eg. it comes with 15inch standard wheels and relevant tyre to match.
Next variation comes with 16 inch, next 17 inch, sport model has 18 inch low profile wider tyres etc etc.
All have same speedo so all cannot be correct, there must be at least a very small difference when putting on bigger wheels / tyre types and the difference would go either way?

This may explain why in motorway roadworks with a limit of 40mph why I slowly catch other vehicles and also have some go slowly past me. I set restrictor to 40 and most other vehicles are doing the same speed but always a few either side - and always one who thinks the limit doesnt apply
Your assuming the speedo works outbthe speed... not quite correct 😉

On a modern car the speedo displays speed... but that speed comes from the abs unit... this has a configuration and one parameter that gets configured is the tyre size fitted to the vehicle, and your also assuming that different sized wheels have different circumferences, when in reality is very possible to adjust via the configuration to read more accurately

For example I have 195/65r15 tyres on my new van, I will however be fitting a set of alloys with 205/50r17 which will be 0.4% out and slightly faster for a given speedo reading which in essence means it will actually be more accurate if it’s like my current similar van (73 on cruise is 70 by gps, so with the new tyre size it will maybe be 71 when displaying 73mph on cruise/the speedo

To further complicate this you can also calibrate cruise by a set percentage to essentially correct the cruise control digital figures to an accurate speed by gps 👍🏼

4249515C-8056-42A7-BDED-76F7CC93EA72.jpeg

rudd

Your assuming the speedo works outbthe speed... not quite correct 😉

On a modern car the speedo displays speed... but that speed comes from the abs unit... this has a configuration and one parameter that gets configured is the tyre size fitted to the vehicle, and your also assuming that different sized wheels have different circumferences, when in reality is very possible to adjust via the configuration to read more accurately

For example I have 195/65r15 tyres on my new van, I will however be fitting a set of alloys with 205/50r17 which will be 0.4% out and slightly faster for a given speedo reading which in essence means it will actually be more accurate if it’s like my current similar van (73 on cruise is 70 by gps, so with the new tyre size it will maybe be 71 when displaying 73mph on cruise/the speedo

To further complicate this you can also calibrate cruise by a set percentage to essentially correct the cruise control digital figures to an accurate speed by gps 👍🏼

View attachment 9767
How many people recalibrate the unit?
Doubt most even realise they need to inform their insurance company of alteration to wheels / tyres.
GPS, my Tom Tom, incar sat navs in bmw and nissan + I phone all have gps lag.
Would think the speed is + - 2mph out like most speedometer?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auto The Golden Peg 0
S The Club House 17
L Fishing Talk 14
M Tackle Talk 1
Z The Club House 2