M25 and M1 speed cameras WARNING

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
My ex who was a paramedic was penalised a few times for driving offences whilst on call as well
They had strict guidelines for travelling to/from calls and just for general travel.

dumdum

Site Supporter
dumdum, The majority of colleagues who I worked with, got done when driving to Emergency calls, on blue lights and sirens.
But there were obviously reasons why it was felt it wasn’t justified at that point if they got points and fined?

And I’m not saying it’s right or wrong... but there have to be rules for the few who take the pee a bit I’d imagine...

Chervil

Site Supporter
But there were obviously reasons why it was felt it wasn’t justified at that point if they got points and fined?

And I’m not saying it’s right or wrong... but there have to be rules for the few who take the pee a bit I’d imagine...
I think that sometimes there's a bit of red mist, if something like a robbery, "suspects on", or especially an "urgent assistance" call from a colleague. No matter how much training, it's very hard to stop. There are also "vicinity only" collisions, where someone has an accident, which is deamed to have been caused because of your driving/presence.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle !
Site Supporter
The fact that this "fact" seems to have done the rounds at various times over the last few years leads me to think it is probably just another instance of the same news being rehashed for effect. It doesn't bother me either way. I don't knowingly exceed speed limits. (where's the "holier than thou" emoticon when you want one ;) )

Chervil

Site Supporter
The fact that this "fact" seems to have done the rounds at various times over the last few years leads me to think it is probably just another instance of the same news being rehashed for effect. It doesn't bother me either way. I don't knowingly exceed speed limits. (where's the "holier than thou" emoticon when you want one ;) )
👼👼👼👼👼👼😇😇😇😇😇😇

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
So when everyone is tootling down the motorway at 75-80mph, and you're causing an obstruction by sticking to the 70mph limit, should you speed up to keep with the flow, or should you remain the obstruction ;) ?

DFL

I agree with Muskrat, I haven’t bothered to google it but I take issue with this
“The law changed last year and the old 10% + 2mph above speed limit now does not app with categories and wage based fines.”

I’ve never heard or read of such a “law”. Yes there has always been a discretionary guideline, one that has varied between forces, but a law?

Like I said I may well be inaccurate, I use to keep up with the laws when a professional driver.

On another point, if I got nicked for doing 72 mph I would be requesting to see proof of correct calibration of the camera in question, such is the minimal tolerance, I can see Nick Freeman already rubbing his hands and seeing the £ signs.

DFL

Well with nothing better to do I have just had a Google, nothing on Pepipoo or anywhere else.......as far as I’m concerned it’s fake news.

Total

Site Supporter
So when everyone is tootling down the motorway at 75-80mph, and you're causing an obstruction by sticking to the 70mph limit, should you speed up to keep with the flow, or should you remain the obstruction ;) ?
Just don't be a 'heathen' :rolleyes::D.......or do 75 - 80 mph in the breakdown/emergency lane. :geek::rolleyes::D

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
If true should find out with the morning commute to work.
Has anybody seen the new Vulture cameras that are being put in now they are higher up than the normal cameras and have a set of sensors about 20 yards before you get to them usually run as pairs.
We have them round here now

dumdum

Site Supporter
You won’t be an obstruction as you’ll be in the inside lane or the second lane of overtaking trucks at 56mph on the limiter... the issue is when idiots drive in lanes 3 and 4 when they shouldn’t be there at a snails pace... these people are now punishable by law and do get nabbed with as much regularity as plod levels dictate... Notts have 4-5 roads policing officers... that’s split between shifts also... so I wouldn’t hold your breath on folk getting nabbed... there is also overspill from other police groups (roads armed policing (rapt) for example) who help out and all officers can issue tickets providing specific conditions are met... but rapt lads tend to hang around for the firearms/more adventurous jobs to turn up... although the ones with a decent work ethic do go out and nab folk for no insurance/tax/license etc with regularity

davylad

Site Supporter
They've just erected a sign near me which tells you the speed you're doing. (30 mph) I usually go past at 30, and it always says 28 mph, oh and I get a "thank you" too.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
It's when the sign says "thank you Davy" you start to need to worry

rudd

Drivers will now be fined 24/7 by motorway speed cams - even if no limit is shown

Drivers WILL be fined for going over 70mph limit on M1 smart motorway

Urban myth, fake news? Slow news day? Who knows,
I am in Derby tomorrow and will be sticking to speed limit on M1!

Seems to be many types of camera out there, had an encounter with a handheld recently in Hounslow, I was doing 20 in a 20 zone, they had the camera measuring just after the 20 sign catching drivers decelerating after the 30 zone. Perfectly legal to do.

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-types.htm

For those asking where my initial info come from, internal company memo from one of UKs largest logistics companies. You can take thread however you like, its up to you.
M25, I have noticed more Hadecs 3 appearing on poles at sides of gantries, there are also overhead cameras in about 1 in 4 overhead gantries.

As I do 30,000 to 40,000 miles a year I will be making use of speed controls in my German whip and Jap jeep 😉

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
So the Sun is quoting an article in the Telegraph which is quoting an article in Staffordshire Live.

M1 smart cameras now operating at East Midlands Airport

Nowhere in the staffordshirelive article does it say 72mph. What it does say is this:

1547061802517.png

I think this is blown out of all proportion and just an excuse for social media to re-energise older fake news articles.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I think it's time to slap on some false numberplates and test these cameras out - any volunteers?

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
The M1 in South Yorks and Derbyshire have been live for over 12 months. Seen them go off loads of times on the way to and from work.

DFL

As said above, no mention of thresholds in any of the links. If drivers start receiving NIPs and getting prosecuted for doing 72 in a 70 we will all know about it big time and the way the state is heading that’s entirely possible.

dumdum

Site Supporter
So the Sun is quoting an article in the Telegraph which is quoting an article in Staffordshire Live.

M1 smart cameras now operating at East Midlands Airport

Nowhere in the staffordshirelive article does it say 72mph. What it does say is this:

View attachment 9581

I think this is blown out of all proportion and just an excuse for social media to re-energise older fake news articles.
funny how the news that cameras setup to catch speeding motorists will be taking pictures of drivers doing over the speed limit is new news... 🤔🤔

They’ll be telling us that it’s illegal to kill people next... who’d have thought it?? 😮😮

The cameras on the M1 have been live for well over 5 years it seems and still drivers come past you at 80 and seemingly still do... odd that... I suspect if they actually were doing people for 71mph there would be a lot of happy posts from motorists out there all over Facebook... but I don’t think I’ve seen one and someone always posts complaining about being done if it’s close to a limit (I live just off j26-28 so have lots of friends around here)

I will try and find out what the cameras do actually take note of and issue tickets at just to ease all the panicking minds out there, I suspect it will still be the old guidelines 10%+2mph or even 80mph as that’s about where normal plod will start to have issue with you...

The section by the airport has just been finished and there are however going to be regular police patrols attending the new stretch of motorway... what they have been asked to do is another matter 😉

Last edited:

dumdum

Site Supporter
As said above, no mention of thresholds in any of the links. If drivers start receiving NIPs and getting prosecuted for doing 72 in a 70 we will all know about it big time and the way the state is heading that’s entirely possible.
There were certain sections of the M25 around London where the old bill enforced the speed limit with an iron fist... until the public started getting tickets for 1mph over and the outcry was huge from memory, a good 6-10 yrs ago from memory... although it could have been last week given my memory 🤣😂

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auto The Golden Peg 0
S The Club House 17
L Fishing Talk 14
M Tackle Talk 1
Z The Club House 2