M25 and M1 speed cameras WARNING

rudd

Hi, Have been advised on good authority (work in logistics) that as from tonight ALL speed cameras on M25 and M1 will be set to 72mph.
This includes variable which are also set to 2mph over speed showing on sign if variable signs are on and 72 if signs are off.
The cameras are set to automatically issue tickets.
Any speed of 90mph and above will result in instant ban.

Drivers warned to stick to 70mph as motorway speed cameras arrive by stealth

Most likely to be rolled out across whole UK road network to include all fixed and mobile types of camera.

The law changed last year and the old 10% + 2mph above speed limit now does not app with categories and wage based fines.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Shouldn't be a problem.
All cars carry a device that regulates the car's speed and prevents speeding.
It's called a driver. ;)

penbill

Good lad for letting every one know I didn't know the 10% +2 had had been scraped.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
You should also be aware that the cameras on all "Smart" motorways are working even if the speed limit signs are indicating national limit

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle !
Site Supporter
The article in the link is dated 2015. Is there anything more recent?

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I’ve never been called a device before, d1ck yes but device nope.
I’ll take it as a compliment (y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Hi, Have been advised on good authority (work in logistics) that as from tonight ALL speed cameras on M25 and M1 will be set to 72mph.
This includes variable which are also set to 2mph over speed showing on sign if variable signs are on and 72 if signs are off.

Most likely to be rolled out across whole UK road network to include all fixed and mobile types of camera.

The law changed last year and the old 10% + 2mph above speed limit now does not app with categories and wage based fines.

you do know that the date on that link is 2015 don't you.....?

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Hmmmmmm

Today (merc website)

1546970889205.png

Last year (forum)

1546970954792.png

Today: Twitter

1546971025315.png

So clearly, it must be true.

So @rudd how did you validate this story?

dumdum

Site Supporter

Be aware the cameras do not always flash, so don’t take that as a sign they don’t work, the flash only operates in low light conditions...

10%+2 was not the law anyway! The law is funnily enough the speed limit...

It was at the discretion of the officer applying the law! Most traffic police don’t give you a tug unless your driving like an idiot

But they could do you for 71 on a motorway, but don’t generally!

People have always been done for 1mph over in any speed limit regardless of what you think the law is...

and to anyone who argues speedos can be out, Ive yet to see one that reads under unless tyres have been adjusted or the speedo has been stripped and incorrectly put back together

I’d also question where your info came from...

Last edited:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
My speedo reads about 10% under - when it says 70 the independent GPS says 63/64mph and any speed monitors (the ones that display your speed and a happy/sad face) that I pass always show the speed 10% lower than the dashboard. So I suspect my speedo is out.

Tyres are correctly inflated, the correct size and nothing has been tampered with.

Chervil

Site Supporter
@Chervil ......Drive a police car?:unsure::rolleyes:
I was thinking more of,, "Don't speed". Although driving a police car works as well;). However, what a lot of people don't realise is that any transgressions that a police driver commits are taken very seriously and I have had a few colleagues hung out to dry by the system. Any points collected go on your own licence.
I'm sure that others on here have driven faster, but I will admit to bottling it at about 130 on my driving course, with the instructor urging me to drive faster. The problem with driving on blues and twos is that other drivers tend to panic and not know what to do.

dumdum

Site Supporter
My speedo reads about 10% under - when it says 70 the independent GPS says 63/64mph and any speed monitors (the ones that display your speed and a happy/sad face) that I pass always show the speed 10% lower than the dashboard. So I suspect my speedo is out.

Tyres are correctly inflated, the correct size and nothing has been tampered with.
Your speedo reads ‘over’ what your doing, which is generally what all speedos do if there’s an inaccuracy... 70 is definitely over 64/65

Last edited:
Reactions: me

Marker50

When a motorway speed limit overhead changes from say 70 to 50 is there a slight delay for the cars vans etc that are very close to the camera when the new speed is shown.

dumdum

Site Supporter
I was thinking more of,, "Don't speed". Although driving a police car works as well;). However, what a lot of people don't realise is that any transgressions that a police driver commits are taken very seriously and I have had a few colleagues hung out to dry by the system. Any points collected go on your own licence.
I'm sure that others on here have driven faster, but I will admit to bottling it at about 130 on my driving course, with the instructor urging me to drive faster. The problem with driving on blues and twos is that other drivers tend to panic and not know what to do.
Lots of drivers don’t realise they should only move if safe to, but it’s actually down to the emergency services driver to get around the general public where safe to do so 👍🏼 But no end do stupid stuff which makes it harder, seen this a fair few times as I’m sure you have!

And as you say lots of police get done for parking fines/speed violations in exactly the same manner as the general public, unless it’s a legit blue light run and then they are exempt... being a copper isn’t a license to speed as your late for dinner (it may have been in the 70’s/80’s but it’s taken very seriously by the job now

An inspector in My locality got pulled by his own response crew and breathalysed and banned for a good period in his car for drink driving

dumdum

Site Supporter
When a motorway speed limit overhead changes from say 70 to 50 is there a slight delay for the cars vans etc that are very close to the camera when the new speed is shown.
Approx 90 seconds normally 👍🏼

Chervil

Site Supporter
Lots of drivers don’t realise they should only move if safe to, but it’s actually down to the emergency services driver to get around the general public where safe to do so 👍🏼 But no end do stupid stuff which makes it harder, seen this a fair few times as I’m sure you have!

And as you say lots of police get done for parking fines/speed violations in exactly the same manner as the general public, unless it’s a legit blue light run and then they are exempt... being a copper isn’t a license to speed as your late for dinner (it may have been in the 70’s/80’s but it’s taken very seriously by the job now

An inspector in My locality I believe it was got pulled by his own response crew and breathalysed and banned for a good period in his car for drink driving
dumdum, The majority of colleagues who I worked with, got done when driving to Emergency calls, on blue lights and sirens.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auto The Golden Peg 0
S The Club House 17
L Fishing Talk 14
M Tackle Talk 1
Z The Club House 2