Looking for reel to pair with 14' Acolyte Ultra

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
Hi all, long time lurker here, thought it was time to say hello, you all seem friendly bunch!

In the last few years I have only ventured to the waterside a handful of times each year. I bought an Acolyte Ultra 14' float rod last September to use on the river Nene at Ringstead for a spot of stick float fishing, hopefully venturing out further afield this year. I tried it with a low cost centre pin and an ABU506 mk2 which was fun (except for the tangles with the centre pin, a little more practice perhaps)! Would I be right to say a 2500/3000 size Daiwa or Shimano (Sahara maybe) would be the right choice to try in terms of fixed spool? I have a Daiwa TDM 2508 but it seems a little forward balanced, I also seem to suffer from the line slipping behind the spool, is this common or due to lack of practice?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Silverfisher

On my 13ft ultra I use a drennan 7 series float as it’s a nice light weight shallow spooled reel that balances nicely on the rod. I also got for Christmas a 2500 shimano Sahara (which I had used before) that I’ll mainly use on my second float rod (cadence CR13 #1) and I’ve I've just bought a daiwa ninja 2500 for the third (10ft daiwa ninja) and all 3 are very nice float reels. The Sahara is probably the best engineered of the 3 and will have some outings on the ultra but I think I’ll still use the 7 series more often than not as it balances so well with it.

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
Thanks Silverfisher, I did overlook the Drennan due to reports of quality issues but I will add it to the list, I like the idea shallow spools supplied with this one. So many reels on the market with deep spools!!

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Hey PJ:)
I've got one of these. Beautiful reels. Smooth, mag sealed, 215g, 10kg drag, 80cm retrieve, 5.3:1 ratio, it has anti reverse and 6+1 ball bearings.
Only down side is they come with one spool and are not shallow. I bought more from Diawa though.
These have been recommended before and look a right deal too:

Silverfisher

Yes the shallow spools are handy. Was expensive filling the daiwa with 300m and Sahara with probably 250m whereas the drennan spools only take about 110m which more affordable and is still plenty of line for float fishing.

John Step

Site Supporter
Another vote for the Drennan series 7 float reel. Never had a quality problem. I too have a 14ft Acolyte Ultra and find it perfect.

Silverfisher

Yeah I've never had any problems with any reel that wasn't self inflicted tbh so I don't think the drennan series 7 is particularly more susceptible to failing than any other reels in the same price range. It's the shallow spools and the way it balances with the ultra that makes it great for me. Don't get me wrong the shimano Sahara is a lovely reel as well so you'd be fine with that as well.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Personally I would give either of these Daiwa's from Bobco serious consideration, absolutely streets ahead of anything else that has been mentioned, you will be very hard pressed to find a better reel for 50 quid than either of them

trotter2

Any of the reels mentioned would do the job. It's all down to how much you want to spend. On my acolytes I only use closed face reels that's my preference.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got the 14' Acolyte and match it with either an original ABU507 or (and currently strapped to it) a 5.5" Leeds centrepin.

I don't fish the stick float with anything else but that's just personal preference

Simon

adriang

On my 13ft ultra I use a drennan 7 series float as it’s a nice light weight shallow spooled reel that balances nicely on the rod. I also got for Christmas a 2500 shimano Sahara (which I had used before) that I’ll mainly use on my second float rod (cadence CR13 #1) and I’ve I've just bought a daiwa ninja 2500 for the third (10ft daiwa ninja) and all 3 are very nice float reels. The Sahara is probably the best engineered of the 3 and will have some outings on the ultra but I think I’ll still use the 7 series more often than not as it balances so well with it.
Apologies in advance to hijack the thread.. what's your thoughts of the Drennan vs the Cadence?

Silverfisher

Bit hard to tell properly at the moment as I’ve had a years use of the drennan compared to one session with the cadence. The cadence is a very good rod indeed, seemingly better than anything else I’ve used or at least handled in its price range but so it far it doesn’t seem in the same league as the drennan which is fair enough really given the price difference. Firstly the drennan is obviously lighter but to me at least it also picks up line and casts better and has a generally quicker and crisper action. That’s a big compliment to the drennan rather than a slant on the cadence though as that also scores well in those departments just not quite as well as the drennan.

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, l will take a look. I think I will also persevere with the pin, it's a great way of fishing (between the tangles)!!

Bullmoose Jackson

Site Supporter
I don't have a 14ft Acolyte, but I have a 13ft and a 15ft. I use 2500-size Daiwa fixed-spool reels or old Daiwa closed-face reels on them (and, indeed, on all of my float rods).

The Ninja is a nice reel for the money. The Daiwa Legalis and Exceler are also very nice (angling Direct were doing them for a serious discount recently).

frothy

I’m surprised the daiwa tdm doesn’t work for you, to be honest it’s probably better than most of the reels you’ve been recommended.

SteveinSwindon

Persevere with the Abu, it really is the right reel for the stick float.
If line is getting behind the spool I would check to see if it needs a new chenille trim around the edge of the spool. I have just bought some pipe cleaner on E Bay for a pound or so to do mine, having just bought a second 506 for that style of fishing. My original is still going strong after about 30 years - I doubt if all the other reels mentioned in this thread will be able to boast that in 30 years!

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
The TDM line problem may be line twist perhaps or more likely poor technique!

Thanks for your advice Steve, my issue with the ABU was disengaging the bail/pin, it seems to be quite inconsistent, sometimes very easy leading to a nice smooth cast, othertimes it takes a while to get the pin to disengaged causing the rig to bounce about and tangling. Only had 2 sessions with the ABU so I will stick with it!

I will leave the fixed spool reels at home to force me to master either the pin or closed face reel!

Thanks for you input guys 😊

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
@SteveinSwindon I used to live in Swindon and started my fishing adventures on Coate water, used to be full of decent perch! Just returning to the sport after a long break and I am very rusty 😂😂😂

adriang

Thanks for your advice Steve, my issue with the ABU was disengaging the bail/pin, it seems to be quite inconsistent, sometimes very easy leading to a nice smooth cast, othertimes it takes a while to get the pin to disengaged causing the rig to bounce about and tangling. Only had 2 sessions with the ABU so I will stick with it!
In regards to your Abu, if it's a new one, it *could* be that all is not good with it.

I bought a pair of the 'latest edition' 506's, and had to send one back to be replaced twice. Once because it felt like it had sand rather than grease, once because of pin disengaging problems.

I'm still not confident in them to be honest, and I've taken the approach of SteveinSwindon has above and bought up a few 506's with the view of building up a pair of good ones. They definitely don't make them like they used to.