LOOKING FOR ADVICE FOR METHOD FEEDING

Carpman_Chewy

Hi all,
I'm looking for a bit of advice. IV been fishing for a number of years now and I'm now looking into method feeding.

I'm looking for advice on what rod I need to look at.

Currently I have a Daiwa black widow 12ft 2.75 T/C and I also have a Daiwa Ninja match rod 10ft I use for tight margin dibber / float fishing.

What I'm asking is would it be ok to use the Ninja Match rod for method feeder fishing?

If not, what sort of rod do I need? Daiwa do a 10ft feeder rod which I can get but I wasn't sure what the difference was between the match rod I already have and the feeder rod I can get?

Might be a stupid question need to get the Info together!

Cheers

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
The Black Widow is way overgunned for anything other than out and out specimen carp/barbel in my humble opinion.

A "Match" rod will normally be intended for use with a float and while it may withstand the casting of a loaded Method feeder it would not be my choice as it is not designed or built to withstand casting a loaded feeder.

Basically any standard "heavy" or carp feeder rod will do the business. I would be looking for a rod that can handle 30-40g casting weight (feeder plus bait) or a guideline recommended BS line of 6-8lb.

Length is very much personal choice. I prefer 12ft but many like the shorter rods.

The rod I use most often is a Grandeslam and cost me around £35. Looking at eBay this kind of thing should suit without breaking the bank.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Daiwa-D-Carp-Feeder-Rod-Method-11ft-Casting-50g-Sections-2-DCF11Q-BU/283645961066?hash=item420a9de36a:g:pboAAOSwKWhdqDBJ

Carpman_Chewy

The Black Widow is way overgunned for anything other than out and out specimen carp/barbel in my humble opinion.

A "Match" rod will normally be intended for use with a float and while it may withstand the casting of a loaded Method feeder it would not be my choice as it is not designed or built to withstand casting a loaded feeder.

Basically any standard "heavy" or carp feeder rod will do the business. I would be looking for a rod that can handle 30-40g casting weight (feeder plus bait) or a guideline recommended BS line of 6-8lb.

Length is very much personal choice. I prefer 12ft but many like the shorter rods.

The rod I use most often is a Grandeslam and cost me around £35. Looking at eBay this kind of thing should suit without breaking the bank.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Daiwa-D-Carp-Feeder-Rod-Method-11ft-Casting-50g-Sections-2-DCF11Q-BU/283645961066?hash=item420a9de36a:g:pboAAOSwKWhdqDBJ
Ah thank you very much for the advice. I kind of already knew that the black widow would be too chunky it was more advice on the ninja match rod I was looking for. There is a ninja feeder rod on eBay for around the £50 mark which looks ok I think?

I use the Ninja reel to, 2500a, very very good reel, plays like a dream so I'll buy another one of them to!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Bear in mind that with reels you may want a baitrunner type if Method feeder fishing. You may not always need or use the facility but it is nice to have.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The 10ft Ninja feeder would be great for method fishing. Personally I would prefer that to the 11ft unless you are fishing large open lakes.

Carpman_Chewy

The 10ft Ninja feeder would be great for method fishing. Personally I would prefer that to the 11ft unless you are fishing large open lakes.
I fish at Ian Heaps Holgan farm Fishery. He has 3 lakes which are a fair size but not too big at all really. I wouldn't be casting for miles at all

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I fish at Ian Heaps Holgan farm Fishery. He has 3 lakes which are a fair size but not too big at all really. I wouldn't be casting for miles at all
The 10' Ninja feeder would be ideal then.

mbuna_matt

I fished the same venue a lot this year just gone - I used an 8' Browning commercial king feeder set up with a method feeder that dealt with just about every peg I fished (if only just for some longer chucks...)

As I recall they get big a fight like demons!

Matt

stephanie

I would go for the 11ft ninja myself I have 2 of them myself the extra length will allow for a longer chuck if it became needed you can always cast short with a longer rod but struggle to get accuracy with a shorter rod at distance as for reels I would look in the 4000 size as my choice and have a little extra power over a 2500 size reel

sampower

If you're going to spend £50, you may as well get a Preston Innovation Tyson Feeder Rod for a few quid more.
I fish method a lot and it's difficult to beat this rod for commercial venues. Des Ship won the Masters recently using one of these, over the top end Supera which is around 3x the cost!
They're soft right down to the butt, but handle anything upto mid/late doubles! I've landed a 16lb Mirror on mine!
I used an 11ft with a 3000 Daiwa Ninja reel - this only has a casting weight of 30-40 gram - can handle a loaded 30gram feeder, possibly more. You shouldn't need much more on a commercial. With method fishing, the lighter the better for me!

fadgewacker

Site Supporter
I can't speak for other products, but the 11ft Middy 4GS Baggin' Feeder has been perfect for me on commercials and fish into low doubles have been no major strain... Would handle a bigger chuck if required too. Baggin Feeder - will cast up to 60g and handle 12lb mainline.

Not sure you can find them new any more, but I picked mine up 2nd hand for about £35, and it was in perfect nick. I paired it originally with a Shimmy Stradic 2500 GTM, but have recently changed that out to my waggler and put a Daiwa Ninja 3012 on it, and the pair work very nicely together indeed.

Jenson

Once a tankie ... always a tankie
Site Supporter
10' ninja is what I use for method feeder and have had no problems whatsoever, for short chucks I use a shimano 3000 size reel and longer ones I use a 4000 daiwa ninja reel both set ups work really well.