Local tackle shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obadiah

I've been reading these forums for years and only started posting recently, i remember a post ages ago regarding Dragon Carp and some lad saying swerve them in order to help your local tackle shop.

I''m a big believer in this and frequent my local tackle shop regulary in fact Ive just bought the Shimano Beast master from there.

However I posted a thread on Seat boxes recently trying to establish which one I wanted, I''m having a look at the Diawa 150. It's 259 in my local tackle shop however it's only 219 from a larger online store.

That's a considerable saving, it's like at least 4 lap dances [:D],I understand over heads etc etc, however when do I say to myself hang on there a difference between helping my local tackle shop and getting a tad ripped off.

0lly

Go into the local and see if they can get anywhere near the price. You dont ask you dont get.

Big-Bronze

i always buy big items from online shop's and save 100's but when it come's to 1-pence i will buy from tackle shop as i can buy it there and then and no big loss on price

chris yeates

I find most shops will price match if they can and you also have somewhere to go back to if you have a problem,the internet is a great tool but you can't beat looking,trying and buying in your local shop.

fisha_chuck

Leigh Tackle & Bait always knock money off for me. I went for a rod holdall and rucksack the other day, cheapest online was 130 for both. They did it for 105. Even for bait, if a bag of pellets is 2.50, they ring it up as 2. Top tackle shop, testiment to how packed it is every day of the week.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
It's essential to build up a relationship with your local shop(if they are staffed by decent folk that is!)as you can get advice in person on local venues matches etc,you get to meet other anglers who can all offer advice and in my case I found a new fishing club as my old one had disbanded, if they have no stock and are overpriced then don't bother, but if the chap is trying and is well stocked and keen on price then you can't fault face to face service and fresh bait(maggots squatts etc) you can't get that online ! I've found the more you use a place the better your discounts get.my local tackle shop is smiths angling supplies in Loughborough and I can't fault the service that Gaz gives ...or the tea he makes! For example if I'm pushed for time I can drop my top kits in and he will elasticate them and cut them back if needed all free of charge,now that's proper service

Obadiah

Originally posted by Kirtons

It's essential to build up a relationship with your local shop(if they are staffed by decent folk that is!)as you can get advice in person on local venues matches etc,you get to meet other anglers who can all offer advice and in my case I found a new fishing club as my old one had disbanded, if they have no stock and are overpriced then don't bother, but if the chap is trying and is well stocked and keen on price then you can't fault face to face service and fresh bait(maggots squatts etc) you can't get that online ! I've found the more you use a place the better your discounts get.my local tackle shop is smiths angling supplies in Loughborough and I can't fault the service that Gaz gives ...or the tea he makes! For example if I'm pushed for time I can drop my top kits in and he will elasticate them and cut them back if needed all free of charge,now that's proper service
That's a decent read, however if you take the opportunity to read my post again , it confirms that I do support my local tackle shop. Buying all of my terminal tackle and bait in there, including the shimano beast master this week, which I could have got a touch cheaper.

However I don't think all of what you have said is worth 40, for example if your local tackle shop said come in for a chat whenever you want but there's a one off 40 fee would you pay?

The box is 40 cheaper and I'm thinking when does it become consumer driven?

Obadiah

Originally posted by Obadiah

Originally posted by Kirtons

That's a decent read, however if you take the opportunity to read my post again , it confirms that I do support my local tackle shop. Buying all of my terminal tackle and bait in there, including the shimano beast master this week, which I could have got a touch cheaper.

However I don't think all of what you have said is worth paying over ghe ofds for tackle for example if your local tackle shop said come in for a chat whenever you want but there's a one off 40 fee would you pay?

The box is 40 cheaper and I'm thinking when does it become consumer driven?

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Your quite right mate 40 is 40, I read your post I was just putting down my own experiences of my local shop, I'm sure your shop will price match it for you if you ask?
Cheers Steve

bitterncarp

I agree. 40 is 40. Your local tackle shop price is not bad though as the recommended is 299 and some online stores are selling for 315!
However I do like to be able to try the product out before buying and also have the convenience of taking it home straight away rather than waiting for a courier delivery hoping it arrives as ordered and in A1 condition.
See if you can get it any cheaper. You wont know if you don't ask.

ibaykiddinyo

Richie
Bring it up with the tackle shop and give them the chance to make the sale if there funny about it then your minds made up for you

That's a considerable saving, it's like at least 4 lap dances [:D]

Four?! Bet there right trolls for that price [:0]

Obadiah

Originally posted by ibaykiddinyo

Bring it up with the tackle shop and give them the chance to make the sale if there funny about it then your minds made up for you

You'd be surprised mate, although there are allegedly those places were the price is 5.

The girl looked like Peter Beardsley licking mick of a nettle!!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

Originally posted by ibaykiddinyo

You'd be surprised mate, although there are allegedly those places were the price is 5.

The girl looked like Peter Beardsley licking mick of a nettle!!
One like that would be 30 in Bristol, the top clubs are (so I am lead to believe [;)] ) well over 100 and that's with the gorilla sized bouncers outside the door ready to pounce.....

It must be addictive, my mate borrowed 200 off me one night and went in 3 times!!! I just sat by the bar and watched the free pole dancing.

Now, back on subject, it's imperative to support local shops, where will you get pinkies and squatts from in the winter months if all the local dealers go under, not in Go Outdoors or online tackle emporiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.