Local Tackle Shops of a bygone era

GUCANGLER

schoolboy error, Vic's was in New North Rd near the junction with Essex Rd, used to get a 149 to Don's of Edmonton where he'd charge you 10p to waggle his latest pole, ooh er missus!!! Ashpoles at Newington Green was another but he'd charge for information if he could get away with it, he even sold jars of elderberries

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Here's one for the Southerners: anybody remember "Stabler's Angling Supplies" (SAS) near the railway bridge at Earlsfield station, south London? It was a small family business, father and son ran it, they stocked everything and it became like a second home to me: I can still remember the smell of maggots and the varnish the father used on rod repairs.
Back in the day I lived in Tooting and went to secondary school at Southfields: that was a journey of three buses during the rush hour or a four-mile walk.
During the summer months I used to walk home after school every Friday and call into Stabler's on the way and buy a pint of maggots and some bits and bobs, and then hope that my Dad wasn't working on Saturday and he could drive me to Battersea Park or Crystal Palace so that I could fish the lakes. Mum would do me a packed lunch, sarnies and a bottle of lemonade and that was me set for the day: Dad would come and pick me up when it got dark.
Happy days, life seemed so much more relaxed and friendlier then............ :cool:

2ts

Site Supporter
Anyone remember Tommy Blackledge's shop in the Weind in Wigan,a chap named Harry (Melling?) worked for him.
Bought my first big fishing brolly there.

regards

2TS

hookl

Shermans on North Street Leeds in the 50's early 60's, Ritz Angling next door to the Ritz Cinema, Leeds, moved into the Grand Arcade and became Kendall & Watsons.

Nicky Dodds

Lower wharfe angling in Boston spa. Everywhere you looked there were little angling gems from yesteryear. The revolving pole float carousel used to mesmerize me for hours. Done a few rod repairs for mick over the years.

Graham Bowers

There were no dedicated tackle shops in Llangollen in the late 1960's. I have clear memories of buying trout flies from, I think, Mrs Lewis who sold them from a counter behind the front door of her house in Chapel St. She had a medical condition that caused her to shake, so possibly Parkinsons. My recollection is that she apparently made them herself, not sure if that stands up to scrutiny but it would be nice to think she did.
I think I got other stuff from a local newsagent / sweetshop - Ellis's, futher down the street.
My Dad produced my rods and reels as Christmas presents. I still recall the wonder of seeing a six foot rod poking out of a pillowcase on Christams morning. I still have it! Perhaps I'll give it an airing.............

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Ken Wards in Worksop when I were nobbut a lad.