Liverpool. Clever or Cheating?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
During half time last night the groundstaff at Anfield cleared the remaining snow off what was going to be the Leicester penalty area but left the Liverpool area untouched. Presumably this was done in order to give he Liverpool attack an advantage. As far as I could tell there was no difference between the amount of snow in each area.

Clever use of home advantage or cheating?

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
During half time last night the groundstaff at Anfield cleared the remaining snow off what was going to be the Leicester penalty area but left the Liverpool area untouched. Presumably this was done in order to give he Liverpool attack an advantage. As far as I could tell there was no difference between the amount of snow in each area.

Clever use of home advantage or cheating?
How do you know that?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Only cleaned 1 penalty area so must be a reason for it.
Better grip for Liverpool forwards? But better grip for Leicester defenders and goalie ?
Seems to me to been done for a reason but didn’t work and makes Liverpool look like they were trying to gain advantage and not right. Nobody likes stuff like this.

lp1886

They soaked up the excess water so the ball could be passed quicker, in the hope of getting past the Leicester defence. Probably not cheating, but very unsportsmanlike. I wouldn’t be surprised if they put the sprinklers on at the opposite end.

davylad

Site Supporter
A lot of clubs set the pitch up to suit them, always have done. Less water beforehand if hosting a fast moving slick team, or they don't cut the grass as short, etc etc. Liverpool were going to clear the other end, but didn't have time.:giggle:

H T B

Years ago when Souness was manager at Rangers, they had a European game against a team that were renowned for their wing play. (can't remember who)
He instructed the ground staff to repaint the lines on the pitch to minimum width allowed, so opponents wouldn't have so much space to play in.

That is going beyond sportsmanship.
as for Klopp, it nearly backfired.
A bit more nouse from our forwards and we could have won.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Its a fine line I reckon, I understand teams doing things to make playing at home advantageous. Looking at some of the recent things like away fans being stuck in corners away from behind goals, involving the psychologists in the design of the away dressing rooms I find interesting too. With regards to the lines, again I'm not sure it is beyond sportsmanship when the league specify a range rather than a fixed and uniform size for all pitches, aren't clubs just using the rules and operating within current rules?

Sam Vimes

Many clubs pull this kind of stunt. Just as most will manipulate pitch dimensions to suit their style of play, or minimize the effectiveness of the opposition.
Whilst it's not exactly a Corinthian spirit, it's not exactly cheating either.

People are going on like something unusual has happened a Liverpool, but it really hasn't. Watch enough football in the flesh and you'll see all sorts. Sprinklers only being used at one half of a pitch, or certain areas of a pitch. Grass having been cut to different lengths in different parts of a pitch. Half time forking/sponging of a soggy pitch in certain areas. It all goes on, regularly.

No matter which team you support, the chances are that, whether you know it or not, they'll have done something along these lines themselves.

Pokerstar

Site Supporter
As a Liverpool supporter I find it rather poor to be honest.
Maybe I’m a romantic but the win at all costs attitude prevalent in the modern game detracts from the sport often.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I just noticed the managers technical areas aren’t central to the halfway line. Well Liverpool is about a yard off halfway line. And away ones is about 5/6 yards away. Is that always like that?
65 mins. Klopp needs to make a change. What you think