line question

clare

I am going to change my line on my reel for feeder fishing after reading various threads on line decided to go for maxima line question which one after looking on internet various types of maxima with different names which one would you use .many thanks

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If I was going for Maxima, the one I'd choose is Chameleon. It's got good knot strength and has good anti-abrasive properties.

marcusp

Far to stretchy and diameters are way out . Maxima is outdated and the reason its strong for its diameter is the diameter is under stated.

Daiwa st or guru for me

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Chameleon for me.

Though it may depend on species targeted. Perhaps a line with less stretch if targeting silvers, perhaps even braid.

Arch

Site Supporter
Another vote for Chameleon. It's stood the test of time. Only other option for me would be braid.

Personally, I don't care about the diameter of Maxima. When I'm feeder fishing, most of it will be laying on the bottom.

rudd

Far to stretchy and diameters are way out . Maxima is outdated and the reason its strong for its diameter is the diameter is under stated.

Daiwa st or guru for me
You will find most brands dia. are out.
How do you measure stretch?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If it was outdated, it would have gone long ago. Racing Tortue Nacrita was an excellent line, now gone, but Chameleon is still being made. O.K. I admit that there is a Nacrita out there but the original one was a far better line, the new one just isn't up to the mark.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Maxima does 'feel' stretchy, but that's not to say it is any more or less stretchy than many other monos, and I certainly don't have the tools (or knowledge) to measure said stretch.

I certainly don't think there would be enough concern to rule it out as a line for general feeder work. It's a line that has been popular for a long time now, and I have it on some of my reels, never had an issue, love the stuff.

I like Hyper Sensor as well, although it seems to be a bit of a love/hate affair with some people. I use it in 5lb and it's been great so far.

nejohn

I know Maxima is old but there is a reason it is old and still around ....it is good and also very reliable, it does stretch a bit but that is not a bad thing as long as you are not fishing at extreme distances. Above all else though it is as tough as old boots and can withstand constant casting and being dragged across a snaggy lake bed. As has also been said very often with the right rod there is not much swimming in most commies that you wouldn't land with 4lb Maxima.
Might not be fashionable and the latest must have but it has stood the test of time for a reason

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
I can reccomend Shimano Super Aero Match line
In 6lb a bulk spool holds around 1500m of line and sells for a tenner
It's a good robust, sinking line, knots well and lasts all season
It's very similar to Daiwa Sensor which is another great line

I used Daiwa Tournament ST for a season but it started to deteriorate and feel rough much much quicker than the other lines

frankg

Site Supporter
I can reccomend Shimano Super Aero Match line
In 6lb a bulk spool holds around 1500m of line and sells for a tenner
It's a good robust, sinking line, knots well and lasts all season
It's very similar to Daiwa Sensor which is another great line

I used Daiwa Tournament ST for a season but it started to deteriorate and feel rough much much quicker than the other lines
Lasts a season!......I've got Maxima Chameleon that's years old and still spot on! As has been said, there's a reason it's still being sold and hasn't gone out of fashion :)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
He-He. 2 words come to mind...worms and can opener. Ooops, that's 3 words, you know what I mean.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Used maxima for all my waggler and small river freeline/legering for decades. Never once had a problem, why change? Drennan float
fish on my closed face, sorted.

Silverfisher

nejohn - good point on landing virtually anything in commercials on maxima 4lb. I almost always use lighter hook links that break first but have used it straight through in the past and don’t recall it ever breaking.

frankg - good point maxima does last ages. I only change mine every 3 years or so and have never had any issues with it weakening.

Paul22

Site Supporter
We used to use chameleon on the Trent back in the day.....
Now on commercial waters it’s still good line and when using the method feeder you need stretch in the line........ 5 or 6lb for me with a .20 hook link 👍

Silverfisher

Yes I use it in 6lb for feeder then 4lb for float. Got it in 3lb for my centre pin as well.

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
I wouldn't sleep at night if I didn't put new line on all my reels once every 12 months!!!

Silverfisher

I wouldn’t leave line unchanged for say 4-5 years but I’m more than comfortable to leave them up to about 3 years as I just haven’t seen any evidence of deterioration in quality line as long as it’s stored well. In fact I can recall less than a handful of times that any mainline of any age has broken on me and most of them were sea fishing. My 4 current coarse lines are less than a year old so I won’t consider changing them for at least another year or so yet.