Lift Bites

GarethC

Fished a match on the Arena lake at Forest lane which is rammed with fresh stocky mirrors and commons 4 - 20 ozs using 4mm expanders over soaked 4mm pellet.
Had a load of lift bites which I only connected with 1 in 5 fish - tried adjusting shotting from bulk and 2, spread bulk and slow fall and changed depth to dead depth all to no avail.
What should I/could I have done?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Are you sure they were proper bites and not 'liners'? they could also have been mouthing the baits and rejecting. The only thing I would have done would be to use soft hookers, I don't think there's a lot more you could have done to be honest, Put it down to just 'one of those days'.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I agree, not proper bites. Loads of small fish milling around the feed will cause all sorts of float movements. Forget lift bites, take a shot off and strike at proper disappearances.

GarethC

But these were very consistent, the float rising 5-10mm then sinking back, not irregular knocking movements

buygoodtackle

You don't say how far away from the hook the last shot was. I would have been tempted to try hook in the loop method.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
But these were very consistent, the float rising 5-10mm then sinking back, not irregular knocking movements
But you failed to connect with fish 80% of the time that indicates that the bait was not in a fish's mouth. What is the odds that four times out of five a fish picks up the bait without sinking the float, rises vertically nine inches and then rejects the bait before you can strike?

Keep doing the same thing and you will keep getting the same results.

GarethC

Yes Neil, I tried all the options in my original post - what I need is the advice to know for next time, what I should of or could of tried to hit more of the bites

Total

Site Supporter
Yes Neil, I tried all the options in my original post - what I need is the advice to know for next time, what I should of or could of tried to hit more of the bites
A few things to try next time......As with most situations, it's invariably down to the feeding, quantities, frequency etc, vary this and gauge the response.

Try fishing on the edge of your main feed area, (allowing for depth, undertow etc) This can be up to 2 metres away in some extreme situations.

Start a new swim with minimum feed and feed to bites, repeat as necessary.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Try moving the last shot further away from the hook / and laying overdepth or just off bottom?

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Also try going up or down a hook size.
Try wide gape hook ...it maybe that there were so many little fish hitting your line after the bait so cutting the feed down as said is a good call ..I would also try shallowing up a bit at a time 2 to 3 inches until it stopped

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
Try a lighter or heavier rig, this has worked for me many time in the same circumstances.
The lighter tends to go under faster, the heavier is more stable, if you use the bulk nearer the hook it should show the bits faster as there is a bit more weight. You will find you wont get as many bite but the ones you get you will hit.