Leeds - Free talk from Calverton Fish Farm

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Important Meeting Reminder
West Yorkshire Fisheries Forum (Leeds)
Angling Trust West Yorkshire Fisheries Forum (Leeds)

Thursday 4th July 2019

Leeds Anglers Club, 75 Stoney Rock Lane, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TB

Bar on site | Tea and Coffee from 7:00pm | Meeting starts 7:30pm (9:45pm close)

In association with the Environment Agency

FREE TO ATTEND AND OPEN TO ALL
This is an open meeting aimed at all freshwater anglers, fishery owners and club officials in Yorkshire. Hear updates on key campaigns from guest speakers, meet other like-minded anglers, and have YOUR say on the issues that matter.

If you would like to attend, please register by clicking the button at the bottom of the page.​
Draft Agenda
Rearing Barbel for Yorkshire Rivers: We are joined by Environment Agency staff from Calverton Fish Farm to discuss how they raise Barbel and other fish for restocking​
Combating Poaching & Fish Theft: Giles Evans (Regional Enforcement Manager) talks about the measures we can take, and how the Angling Trust can help​
Improving the Fishing on our Rivers: Angling Trust Campaigns Team​
Your Questions, Ideas and Topics
Your questions, ideas and opinions! During the meeting there will be plenty of time to ask the speakers questions, suggest ideas and make your opinion known. If you have a specific question to ask or would like to raise an issue, please contact us and let us know ahead of the meeting via alex.clegg@anglingtrust.net
To register, just click the link below:​
Keep up to date with the latest news across the Yorkshire Region on our Facebook page!

Please pass the details of this meeting on to your fishing friends and colleagues. See our Freshwater Regions Diary for a full list of planned Regional Forums here.​

Are we off then @Wise Owl ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one, I'll pick you up :upthumb:

Anyone else from Leeds or surrounding areas interested?
@Peter @Stu

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
We will have to go in our Md hoodies like proper Maggotdrowner delegates 😉

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Cheers mate ya know me too well, I’d have ended up booking on to the oap’s bingo night 🤣🤣

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Well that was well Good and the talk on the Barbel really proves that Our Licence money is being well spent.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm just back from it and I was well impressed by it, more on it tomorrow as it's getting late now (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well here's my report from last night...

First of all I picked Wise Owl up and wasn't sure from his attire if we were going to the Anglers Club or the Coca Cobana :D
Very gayly dressed complete with flip flops - tbh I should have expected nothing less lol :)

Once we got there I felt compelled to buy him a pint and so I did - he's not a bad lad after all as he returned my generosity later in the evening :D

7:30pm the West Yorkshire Fisheries Forum (Leeds) opened with I'd say about 40 plus in attendance and some Leeds ASA committee members.

7:35pm there was a talk about the Anglers national Line Recycling Scheme given by Alex Clegg of the Angling Trust.
We've covered this scheme on MD's several times and it was nice to see a good, general, acceptance of the scheme and how it worked

7:45pm and we had a talk by Giles Evans of the Angling Trust regarding Combating Poaching and Fish Theft, which was imformative to say the least and gave a good insight into how the Police and Environment Agency handle such issues along with the Volunteer Bailiff scheme via the AT.
This was followed by a question and answers session where several questions were levied at Giles and which were all answered fully.

8:05pm Richard Pitman of the Environment Agency gave a very thorough and detailed talk on the workings of the EA's Calverton Fish Farm, in particular the rearing and restocking of several fish species including Barbel into British waterways.
There was a slide show and videos to add to his talk and tbh many of us were sat in awe when watching the video of the EA electrofishing a section of the River Trent to get mature male and female Barbel for egg and milt harvesting.
The EA have a preference for using wild fish rather than stock brood fish for rearing from in order to rear fish from a wide range of gene pools instead of that of a few captive fish.
They bought with them some Barbel fry and 1-2 year old Barbel - fascinating to see.
This again was followed by a question and answers session.

8:50pm John Cheyene, Angling Trust, gave a very good insight into the workings of the AT, far beyond what most of us actually see and hear and tbh it opened my eyes quite a bit.
What is actually seen and discussed by the angling fraternity is only scratching the surface of the actual work they do.
Examples of this work ranging from encouraging youth into our sport, consultations and surveys, promoting angling, Fish Legal and it's workings and cases, and to some degree the competition side of the AT.

This latter part has always been a bug bear of mine and I've made my feelings known before re the AT's association with Matchroom and how it/they are perceived by anglers in general. As such when it came to the questions and answers session it gave me the opening to raise several questions regarding both and the future of the Angling Trust with or without Matchroom, AT membership and how they portray/promote themselves to anglers as a whole, and also the divisions beween anglers and the AT whom at the end of the day are our representive body.
The discussion was good and the answers forthcoming, and for which I thanked John.
Suffice to say I've now renewed my lapsed membership :)

At 9:45pm the floor was open to any other business and the forum was then closed.

I've got some photos and few leaflets which I'll scan up shortly.

There are Forums held up and down the country and I know a few members have been to them over time. If you get to hear of one near you put your name down to attend, they're a good evening, very informative, no selling tactics, and gives you an insight into what happens behind the scenes.
You do not need to be a member of the AT to attend, and best of all the forums are free :upthumb:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reporting illegal fishing...

One fascinating fact came out of discussions relating to illegal fishing, in particular the taking of Coarse fish for food, and that was there is a direct link to modern day slavery and the illegal taking of fish for food.
Apparently, facts coming out of prosecutions and reported incidents show that in the main EE's are not responsible for taking fish for food per se, but those that do have taken more as a case of 'needs must' rather than because it's something they do back home.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Helping to protect fisheries from predation

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
I was surprised by the links to modern slavery. The Barbel harvesting was really enthralling

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Gayly Dressed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good write up @Dave i enjoyed it and to be honest it was a eye opener on many accounts, Nice meeting @Stu again as well (y)

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
At the Cas game, we got beat :( at the meeting last night one of my old mates who's on the Leeds Angling Committee said to me, Didnt expect to see you here Dave, i said in a raised voice, i was tricked, i was told it was a BNP meeting ;);)

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
The whole Committee know me down there and know a straight answer is a No No where im concerned ;)