Lapsed Matchman returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Site Supporter
Just to say hello and introduce.I recently got a strong urge to go fishing again after giving up and selling off most of my kit 14years ago. I never got to grips with the transition to commercials, bad draws, peg fees and expensive bait requirements, all combined to succeed in my disillusionment. Now being semi retired, with more spare time and being financially stable, I am about to return to my local club match scene.
A variety of venues, some old friends, who will no doubt benefit from my current rustiness (pools fodder for a month or two!)
I stumbled across this site whilst researching some used tackle purchases, and found some very useful info. Many thanks to all who post with opinions and reviews. Based on my memory of tackle I used to own and re-inforced by the opinions of forum members now the proud owner of Drennan im8, Normark, Mach3XT rods, Daiwa Tourney X pole and a pretty formidable array (my wife has another term!)of tackle. Now much poorer, but my kit will not be an excuse for failures! No, not a tackle tart! a mish mash of brands and most items well used. Thanks again to all who post.

Chris1Richo

Richo
Site Supporter
Best of luck getting back into it mate, hope you have a great time.

gingert76

Ginge
Site Supporter
good luck and cracking part of the world for match fishing as well!

Total

Site Supporter
A very warm welcome JayBee.[:)]

You certainly "Stumbled" into the best forum going.[:T]

Good luck with your resurrected hobby and I wish you many happy hours in doing so.

All the best. [:)]

breamgod

It's cheaper now to fish commercials than natural waters,now all the bans r in place virtually leaves ya to fish pellet so buy sacks of pellets of different sizes job done compared to natural waters gb casters maggots soon builds up

Trevor B

Site Supporter
Don't forget it will probably be " fishery pellets only !" so don't go bonkers buying a large sack on day one , corn and meat ( latter when allowed ) will also be useful baits and not expensive .

Tight lines

JayBee

Site Supporter
Originally posted by breamgod

It's cheaper now to fish commercials than natural waters,now all the bans r in place virtually leaves ya to fish pellet so buy sacks of pellets of different sizes job done compared to natural waters gb casters maggots soon builds up
Yes, I can understand, but I have always enjoyed variety in my fishing, lots of small roach or skimmers on the whip & bread punch, waggler for anything, stick float or tip on a river, long pole where required, or sit it out for 1 to how many? bites for bream on the feeder. Have done it all (with some success). Now just tell me that with that variety of club waters within 25mins travelling I am aiming in the wrong direction.

slaner

Site Supporter
Hi jaybee where in somerset are you? I, like yourself have just got back into fishing after 20 odd years of working my butt off and no time for it.
bought myself a complete(well i thought it was lol but can't help adding to it) second hand match set up 2 years ago and back doing what i loved all those years ago. i am north somerset so if you want maybe we could bang heads and sort some matches out we could both enter as i am as rusty as an old nail and find the match scene a bit daunting from what i have seen on utube etc, cheers laner

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
If you need any advice on fishing on the cheap I'm your man.

My blog on the subject.
http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/fishing-on-budget.html

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Trevor B

Don't forget it will probably be " fishery pellets only !" so don't go bonkers buying a large sack on day one , corn and meat ( latter when allowed ) will also be useful baits and not expensive .

Tight lines
I can't think of any fishery in Somerset ( or the surrounding areas ) that have that rule, all the fisheries I fish allow coarse pellet bought from anywhere.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now just tell me that with that variety of club waters within 25mins travelling I am aiming in the wrong direction.
Depends on what you want, there is loads of decent drain fishing in Somerset, but if you want regular matches you'll have to at least incorporate commercials, although there is a reasonable natural water circuit in Somerset and Bristol area, some of this is team matches though.

Last edited:

I'd be wearing a groove in the motorway to get on the Gloucester canal. Some great venues down your way and you can always pop onto a commercial or two if you get bored of catching bream.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by 003003

I'd be wearing a groove in the motorway to get on the Gloucester canal. Some great venues down your way and you can always pop onto a commercial or two if you get bored of catching bream.
That is a cruel venue...... have a read of Ivan's blog and look at some of the weigh sheets!!

http://ivansangle.blogspot.co.uk

stuartmatchman

Welcome back to the best pastime in the world a as said in previous posts there are plenty of top commercials in the south west and some like Acorn a viaduct to name a few do costcutters where its not all about the money but getting out a having a good days fishing with friends, tight lines

JayBee

Site Supporter
No!,no Gloucester Canal for me too soon. Have fished it before, encouraging practice catches, then come matchday, a struggle for a bite.
I have a longtime, really good, matchman friend, who loves the place and who would put me right on the venue, but not being tempted to travel that far, when what I need initially is to catch regularly, and preferably locally. With Taunton AA, Bridgwater AA, Langport AA and Ilminster AA waters so close, I have a variety of fishing, and the oppurtunity to meet up with some old friends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.