Lad with a pole

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I went for a walk along the canal at Apperley Bridge this afternoon and there was a lad about 12/13 years of age fishing with a pole that was cobbled together whip fashion with wraps of duct tape.
He was doing all right by all accounts but you know the feeling when you could just drive home and return with the spare pole that's just been sat there gathering dust for years, to give him?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, by the time I had done so he'd have packed up and gone for his tea ☺

tee.bee

gave away loads of tackle yesterday to my mates
5 year old made me feel good to know that he will enjoy it as much as I did
its no good gathering dust

D

Deleted member 21081

If you ever want to get in life, learn to give!

Feldy

Site Supporter
There's an old boy Eddie who fishes at one of my local lakes, his rod is a feeder rod with the end tip missing, fishes 25lb line that he says is 8lb, anyway I digress, a few weeks back he reaches over for his coffee and the rod goes in fish on, I said to him I'll dig you out a rod and some line Eddie and gave him a reel of 6lb and 4lb line and my old old Maver Genesis ice rod.
Last weekend I was over there chatting to Eddie and saw a waggler float in the water, after him trying to spot it too for about 5 minutes I went to get the extendable rake and lo and behold, fish out Eddies old rod and reel, a little dirty but ok.
Went over there yesterday to chat to a couple of old boys as I do on a Saturday morning and they tell me that Eddies gone back to his old rod and line. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Some people don't like change.
Took a couple of pics of the lake yesterday as thought it looked lovely.
IMG_2289.JPGIMG_2293.JPGIMG_2289.JPGIMG_2293.JPGIMG_2289.JPGIMG_2293.JPG

lp1886

I went for a walk along the canal at Apperley Bridge this afternoon and there was a lad about 12/13 years of age fishing with a pole that was cobbled together whip fashion with wraps of duct tape.
He was doing all right by all accounts but you know the feeling when you could just drive home and return with the spare pole that's just been sat there gathering dust for years, to give him?
You're not being gender neutral assuming him/her/it wanted to be referred to as a lad! Did you ask him/her/it?

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
You've made me think mate: we must all have odds and ends gathering dust somewhere. What about organising a giant 'Maggotdrowners' car boot sale; £5 a table, everybody could have a get together and people might pick up a few bargains. I know whenever I go on a car boot the people with tackle oddments tend to be the first to sell out. (proceeds could go to your Hostesses fees:p)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You've made me think mate: we must all have odds and ends gathering dust somewhere. What about organising a giant 'Maggotdrowners' car boot sale; £5 a table, everybody could have a get together and people might pick up a few bargains. I know whenever I go on a car boot the people with tackle oddments tend to be the first to sell out. (proceeds could go to your Hostesses fees:p)
It's the same at our car boot, loads of tackle bargains to be had. You're idea of an MD car boot is a good one, but maybe over a weekend? I doubt I could make it but it's still a good idea. (y)

georgie boy

Site Supporter
in France many years ago, a young french lad was fishing next to me with the tip broken off his rod and he was trying to play a small carp which got away, at the end of the day i gave him my 10 foot feeder rod as i was going home the next day, language was not a problem by the smile on his face, i'll never know whether he use it or not but i felt good at that was the last time i fished in france.

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Site Supporter
When I first started fishing, just under four years ago. a few people on this forum gave me some tackle to get started with and it encouraged me to keep going. Most of what I was give, I still use today. My pole might be heavy but it does the job for me and gave me a chance to learn about pole fishing (and how to break and repair it) without the fear of damaging and expensive piece of kit. Another member gave me an old 13ft Silstar float rod. Paired with a modern FD reel, I use it every time I go flat fishing. in fact I used it last week and caught some really nice (for me) fish.

I too have passed on kit to others just starting and it is nice to see them using it and catching fish with it.

Ralph.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
I think the generosity of people on here is phenomenal and TBH I am looking forward to the day when someone needs something and I just happen to have it to spare. Just one of the millions of reasons to join AND become a supporter (Dave has to pay the pieman)(y)(y)(y)