Korum Opportunist Rod

kingfisher5

I am looking for a 10ft float rod for short evening sessions down in the margins for the summer and thought the Korum Opportunist Rod would fit the bill with its 2.5lb test curve.

Just wondered if anyone had got any experience of the rod or had any other suggestions to throw in the mix ?

Thanks
Andy

Silverfisher

No idea about the rod but 2.5tc would be massively over gunned for that type of fishing, you’d more want something ideally around 1.25tc-1.75tc. If you like korum maybe look at the allrounder, it’s 11ft but that wouldn’t make much difference.

kingfisher5

Was trying to be cautious as there could be some lumps hanging around in the margins ! Ive no particular allegience to Korum, but just wanted something flexible enought to cope if I hit something large

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
They are excellent rods but more a carp stalking rod or spinning rod than any sort of float rod.
Best idea with them is the little velcro carrying strap.

Silverfisher

I assume you’ll be fishing commercials where the carp will be topping out in the mid teens? If so an Avon quiver type rod will do the trick fine. I don’t do any of that sort of fishing but for surface fishing for carp that size I use a tfgear compact allrounder although there’s plenty better out there if you want to spend more.

turlwickdave

Bagga T
Site Supporter
I have 2 Korum Opportunist Rod 2.25 test cuvre 10ft. i use them on a rod pod i have had carp to 15lb on a small water i fish that's the reason for 10ft. rods Danny as been using one he as uploaded it on is vlog

kingfisher5

I have 2 Korum Opportunist Rod 2.25 test cuvre 10ft. i use them on a rod pod i have had carp to 15lb on a small water i fish that's the reason for 10ft. rods Danny as been using one he as uploaded it on is vlog
That certainly seems to handle the large carp and thanks for the video link.

its just something i want for a short session rod of a summers evening. It might just be a cheeky skimmer I pick up in the margin but there are mid teen carp in some of these ponds lingering so don’t want to be caught out

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Bit overgunned I'd say. Something like a Daiwa Ninja match would be better.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Love the Korum videos with these rods, looks like they would have been ideal for a water I used to fish with lots of stalking of small Wild Carp that you needed to pull out of snaggy swims. They fought harder than Barbel. Just be sure you want a rod that strong.

Silverfisher

I have the 10ft ninja but haven’t used it yet, does actually feel a pretty good rod for the money so could fit the brief for you if it’s not snagged.

kingfisher5

Bit overgunned I'd say. Something like a Daiwa Ninja match would be better.
I was looking at the Ninja rods and reels earlier as they seem a good priced combo but wasn’t sure if they would survive to onslaught of a double figure carp if I hit one ? That’s what got me looking for something a little more substantial

Silverfisher

I think they’d be fine with low doubles, I’ve landed them on much lighter rods than the ninja (not a pleasant experience and takes a while mind you) so I think the ninja would handle them ok. If you want to err on the side of caution then a 1.25tc allrounder/Avon quiver type rod might suit you better, plus you get two rods for one.

kingfisher5

to be honest sounds like the Ninja route is the way to go..... ref reels is does anyone know what the difference Is between the Ninja 18 LT and Ninja LT Reels ?

rd115

Site Supporter
For a float reel you can get considerably better if you head over to bobco tackle.

Daiwa EM MS 2506h

£160 reel for only £49, and 15% off this weekend only with the code NAS15. only 2 left in stock so you'll need to be quick.

I have one for my float rod and its loads better than the Ninja reels (y)

kingfisher5

Being a sucker for a bargain, it’s job done and ordered Ninja Float Rod and the Daiwa real from Bobco. Even treated myself to some guru pro line to spool up!

thanks for all the advice and tight lines

Silverfisher

Hope you enjoy them :)

What line did you go for? I’ve got 5lb on my ninja combo but it feels like it would happily take 6lb. I know the rod says it’ll take 8lb but it feels like that would be pushing it to the limit a bit plus never need line that heavy for float fishing really.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I assume you’ll be fishing commercials where the carp will be topping out in the mid teens? If so an Avon quiver type rod will do the trick fine. I don’t do any of that sort of fishing but for surface fishing for carp that size I use a tfgear compact allrounder although there’s plenty better out there if you want to spend more.
Tf gear 10 foot float is brill I have one have had carp to 16lb

Silverfisher

Not sure if the tfgear allrounder is that similar to the float version (probably not hugely different) but it certainly handles upper singles to low doubles with ease. It’s actually too powerful as a float rod for what I wanted it for but it’s found a nice niche as a surface rod. It does make a good allround feeder rod though.

kingfisher5

Hope you enjoy them :)

What line did you go for? I’ve got 5lb on my ninja combo but it feels like it would happily take 6lb. I know the rod says it’ll take 8lb but it feels like that would be pushing it to the limit a bit plus never need line that heavy for float fishing really.
As you have me a discount code, I treated myself and brought some guru pro 5.3lb line. ideally I was after something around 6lb but they didn’t have any in stock and also not to compromise the finesse of the rod and reel I didnt want to over cook it

rd115

Site Supporter
As you have me a discount code, I treated myself and brought some guru pro 5.3lb line. ideally I was after something around 6lb but they didn’t have any in stock and also not to compromise the finesse of the rod and reel I didnt want to over cook it

I have the same 5.3lb Guru Pulse Pro for my floatfishing and it's really good stuff, very smooth low memory and very nice thin diameter, prefer it over the 6lb maxima i used to use.