Kids

crowder

Went out for lunch yesterday with the Mrs and have to say I would hate to be a kid in today’s society. On every table there was a kid sat there whilst the parents incessantly pushed a camera into their face taking photos and videos which no doubt end up on social media.
I don’t know why it’s called social media because there is nothing social about it, when we go out for meals we look at couples who are out and not speaking to each other. Sat on their respective phones and taking photos of their food.

Has social media gone too far? I feel like it’s alienating people from real life, people seem too obsessed with showing the world every detail of their lives. I have to admit I used to be guilty of a lot of the above, it took me deleting my social media accounts to see the light and have to say I feel totally liberated having done so.

Is it just me? 😣😣

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I suppose like most things there are good points and bad points about social media,I hate to see people hooked on their phones but it's their life they are wasting,on the plus side I saw a post on Facebook only yesterday where someone had been burgled while on holiday,they had been sending posts while they were away and their home insurance refused to pay out as in the small print it stated that they were not to advertise the fact that they were away from the home,no doubt a warning to others.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Boasting. Showing off. I better than you brigade really do my head in. All down to Facebook etc. One lad I know put 300 photos on Facebook a few years back from his hols. Same lad spent 30 grand on his wedding and talked about it every day for the 2 previous years. Then talked about being skint for the next 6 months. Fur coat no knickers

richc

Closed and deleted my Facebook accounts a while back, just got to get out of the habit of using Google now !

T.I

Site Supporter
Look on the bright side, at least they've not started sharing pictures of what their dinner looked like the day after :)

Fish-lips

Account Closed
Site Supporter
What you have to think is 15 20 yrs ago crowd when u was a lad and was in to your mega drive along with ya mates your parents or elder generation was saying the same thing all be it in ya bedroom same concept though. Its a sign of getting older when u see things the younger generation r doing.

And eventually technology will over take us at a age and we will be clueless as to how they work.

I have no problem with kids or adults on mobiles or fb or tinder or whatever the latest craze is. I used to walk round with a Walkman and a Ghetto blaster. people are only using the technology of the given year.
I'm also not on any social sights coz quite frankly they are boring

Fishy ageing 😂

Last edited:

crowder

Fishy, my post wasn’t aimed at the younger generation. Most of the main culprits of social media over sharing are my age or similar but you see it from people of all ages.

I don’t mind seeing kids on iPads or games consoles, the point I was getting at was social media becoming such a part of people’s lives that they seem to live more for their social media persona that living for real life.

Arch

Site Supporter
Two examples:

We were doing a job last year that was out of reach of a mobile signal. One of the young lads still checked his phone continually, even though he couldn't receive notifications. He would normally use 20G of data a month on his phone. o_O

We were putting the juice back on on another job one day, the job was near a pub that did breakfast. Whilst we were waiting for the job to be finished, we went and had brekkie. I went to the bog whilst there, turned the corner and there was a table of 4 lads, all on there phones. Not one word was spoken between them.