Kids from the 70's

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Was this you explaining to the Nationwide team how to fish and what it is all about ...?

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
They always had 'clueless' commentators in those days. It might be my eyes but the young lad legering seemed to have missed the butt ring when tackling up.
Great piece of nostalgia Dave, cheers.(y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I also noticed that quite a few were using the Mitchel 300's.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Nice to see them at that age on the bank. :upthumb:
It was a regular sight when I was a kid, lads on their own or with their dads. Nowadays nothing seems to compete with X Boxes and Play Stations:cry::cry:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I'm definitely not one of them then. I had to make do with an Intrepid at that age.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I had the Intrepid Black Prince and the Intrepid DeLuxe. I had to save half the cost and my dad coughed up the other half.

Total

Site Supporter
Good to see there was still plenty of bank space back then. :D .......Brought back memories of Horton Kirby or Dartford lakes. :giggle:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I'm definitely not one of them then. I had to make do with an Intrepid at that age.
I started with a Daiwa 7270a, it was awhile before I got an Intrepid super twin, then got a Mitchell match & Milbro Enterprise rod from my mum's Marshall Ward catalogue. Ahhhhh, the 70's, possibly the greatest decade ever.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Good to see there was still plenty of bank space back then. :D .......Brought back memories of Horton Kirby or Dartford lakes. :giggle:
Watcha Total, Horton Kirby, if you could squeeze in fine.

I still use a Mitchell 330 {a 300 with a finger dab bale}, still a superb useable reel although I use a small Shimano with a fighting drag
if there are lumps about, easy to knock off the drag lever if you need a slash or a cup of tea.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I was only just a kid in the 70's (1978!), but fished with hand-me-down gear. Can't remember what reel but it may have been a tatty Mitchell. My rod was a no brand (but fairly well made) spinning rod, which served as an allrounder for a good few years :D

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I also noticed that quite a few were using the Mitchel 300's.
Yea, it cant have been from our neck of the woods Pete, A mitchell 300 was an ' adults ' reel when I was young. I had to make do with a Sealy black prince. This reel only held about 20 yard of 3.2lb Bayer Perlon. The good old days when I could carry ALL my gear to my peg in one visit. 😆

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Talking of old reels and rods, I was at stafgord showground the other eeek at a vintage motorbike show, one of the stalls had a few rods for sale, One was a brand new Winfield 2lb tc specimen rod that had detachable butt, for the princely sum of £10. I was tempted but would have bout it for buyings sake

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave Spence The Club House 16
banksy The Club House 11
62tucker The Club House 2
stephanie Fishing Talk 40
Phoenixicus The Club House 0