I've finally caught a Zander!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
After trying to catch a Zed for the past few years and missing out on most of the predator season last year as I broke my tib and fib just after Christmas, I finally managed to catch one yesterday at Bury Hills weighing in at 6lb.

I caught the fish on a small section of lamprey fishing about 35yds out. I had made the rig as resistance free as I could using a free running lead.

What a beautiful fish the Zander is, a magnificent creature, with orb like eyes, a mean and lean appearance and certainly well worth the wait to catch one.

A few years back I bought a polo shirt emblazoned with an embroidered Zander motif on it but made vow not to wear it until I caught one, I'm now wearing it with pride and a smile on my face.

Do you have any quests in angling or is there any strange vows you've made to yourself?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Congratulations Linda.[:T]
I know you've been itching to get that 1st one.[:)]

I still want a 100+ Ebro cat, well any Ebro cat will do.[:p][:D]

Yuccaman

Jack of all trades...
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well I'm mid quest at the moment - 4 to go...and my 1st ever zander may well be the last part of the quest. Big congrats on yours [:T]

stikflote

Site Supporter
well done on the Zander, ,ive never seen one in the flesh
ive not heard of any round here

bloomer

fishing monster
nicely done

unfullfilled ambition is a river barbel but thats just a matter of getting the time to go try properly, although with 4 small kids it might still be a year or two ahead.

matchstickman25

sorry to hear about you breaking your bones, hope your well now though and well done on the zander.

my unfullfilled ambition is to win a big open river match and to organise a successful one some day soon before more burning ambitions take over.

not much to ask is it

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Well done Linda. A notable first on a top class fishery, its a pleasure just sitting by the lake at OBH.

Do yourself a favour next summer and book a punt and have a days fishing afloat over in the jungle for the tench. [:T][:T]

marginman

Well done on your first zander linda [:p][:p][:p]and i hpoe you get many more[:T]Ive just had my Tibia broken in two places[:(][:(]and im pi%&ed off at the mo[:H]

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
I feel for you MM, my loss of mobility hurt me more than the break itself. I must say the two things that kept me going was my hubby Chris and these guys on here. the next best thing to being at the bankside were reading the posts on here of those that could get out and fish and the fishing blogs of my MD friends. - They really were a lifeline.

I've even got a photo of my pike outing whilst in a wheelchair!

Seanyb

Well Done. I caught my first from there also on a Lamprey section in a howling gale. They are a lovely fish, and if you go to France and eat Sandre you'll find they're very tasty too!

zanderhunter

Well done Linda!
just because youve caught one however, doesnt mean you can go and catch any bigger than me, alright?! [:)]

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
Would you credit it, I wait nearly 5 years to catch a Zander, finally catching one on 1st of October and sods bleedin' law, I catch another one today! Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.