Ivan marks stick floats.

trotter2

Looking through my massive box of old floats I came across a number of original Ivan sticks purchased by me in the day. Strange thing is after a breaf try out I never again used them. In fact can't remember any local match men in the day using them. Could have been a north south devide. Or maybe everyone found them unsuitable for Northern rivers. Either way could not get on with them. Did anyone actually use them. A similar stick in my box was the middy sticks cane stem again not great.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Ive got a boxed set of Marks and Marlow compolite sticks and wagglers, complete with the interchangeable tips and bodies

never been used or had the small bags holding the accesories opened

saw a similar set go up for sale on ebay a couple a years back and make a ludicrous amount of money

also have a fair few Ivan marks balsa and cane sticks avons big wags and zoomers in a box somewhere

just hanging onto them as an investment really, one day I';; put em up for auction on the bay and see what I can get

theres a decent amount of older billy lane sticks waggs and others too, and a rake of alloy stemmed blue bodied allerton trotters too

aint even looked at em for years, just seem to use the ones that are already in the boss box drawers when Im out

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Ive got a boxed set of Marks and Marlow compolite sticks and wagglers, complete with the interchangeable tips and bodies

never been used or had the small bags holding the accesories opened

saw a similar set go up for sale on ebay a couple a years back and make a ludicrous amount of money

also have a fair few Ivan marks balsa and cane sticks avons big wags and zoomers in a box somewhere

just hanging onto them as an investment really, one day I';; put em up for auction on the bay and see what I can get

theres a decent amount of older billy lane sticks waggs and others too, and a rake of alloy stemmed blue bodied allerton trotters too

aint even looked at em for years, just seem to use the ones that are already in the boss box drawers when Im out
Sounds very much like my museum collection - all very much sought after and revered floats in their day!
I'll see your Ivan Marks and Billy Lane floats, and raise you some Billy Makin Canal Greys and a few Bob Dean sticks?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Sounds very much like my museum collection - all very much sought after and revered floats in their day!
I'll see your Ivan Marks and Billy Lane floats, and raise you some Billy Makin Canal Greys and a few Bob Dean sticks?
we might have to call that a tie

ooow hang on I raise you some Toppers !

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
we might have to call that a tie

ooow hang on I raise you some Toppers !
I'll match your Toppers and see you! :ROFLMAO:(y)
I have some enormous Ian Heaps sliders, but they're a bit off the wall, as are my Terry Smith Scandinavian System Skandeborg wagglers, all 20" of them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
................................................. slinks away defeated !

Simon R

Site Supporter
Was Bob Dean John Dean's brother then?
I've still got about two thirds of the full set of John Dean sticks - that's the dome tops, pointed tops and wire stemmed
Have a couple of Makin Canal Greys too and a few Ivan Marks wagglers - only ever available in one shop locally and disappeared from the shelves in the early 80's

Simon

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Was Bob Dean John Dean's brother then?
I've still got about two thirds of the full set of John Dean sticks - that's the dome tops, pointed tops and wire stemmed
Have a couple of Makin Canal Greys too and a few Ivan Marks wagglers - only ever available in one shop locally and disappeared from the shelves in the early 80's

Simon
John Dean it is!
Touché, Mr Simon! :p

Sam Vimes

Looking through my massive box of old floats I came across a number of original Ivan sticks purchased by me in the day. Strange thing is after a breaf try out I never again used them. In fact can't remember any local match men in the day using them. Could have been a north south devide. Or maybe everyone found them unsuitable for Northern rivers. Either way could not get on with them. Did anyone actually use them. A similar stick in my box was the middy sticks cane stem again not great.
Despite spending an awful lot of my time trotting, I have barely used a proper stick float in decades. They have their time and place, but I rarely find any use for them on our fast, turbulent, and pretty shallow, local rivers.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have some Ivan Marks wagglers, some Makin canal greys, some Stillwater blues, and...... a signed hard back book "Ivan Marks on Match Fishing"
I may also have some Ashurst floats

trotter2

Yes the John deans, good floats ,plastic stem and fine wire stems. Favs are the ultra floats lignum stems made in the good old days of Billy lane. I used the drennan version crystal stems these days they are near copies of the ultra sticks.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Got a couple of Makin greys somewhere, mind you I would be frightened to use them in case I lost them.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Still got a few of the Ivan Marks cane stem sticks but I tend to use my old Ultra Lignums on the local river Ribble for preference. Still got a couple of original Benny Ashurst cane stem sticks as well but they haven't seen the water for years now.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I got some Walter Bowers needle floats, presented to me by the bloke himself. Remember John Wilson fishing his strecth of water at Muskham. Walter baited it up with bread for over a week !!

biggsy

Site Supporter
I got some Walter Bowers needle floats, presented to me by the bloke himself. Remember John Wilson fishing his strecth of water at Muskham. Walter baited it up with bread for over a week !!
Were they also called Newark Needle floats?

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
I liked the Ivan Marks sticks but preferred the Pete Warren and Benny Ashurst ones; managed to get a few of each last year.

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter
Despite spending an awful lot of my time trotting, I have barely used a proper stick float in decades. They have their time and place, but I rarely find any use for them on our fast, turbulent, and pretty shallow, local rivers.
Classic case for 'making your own' mate, nothing like catching a big chub, from a difficult swim on a float specially made for that purpose.(y)

trotter2

Does anyone use the Dave harrel sticks tried a few but not that impressed.