Ivan Marks Lightning advice please

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I have a Daiwa Ivan Marks Lightning Carbon 13ft MGM.313 rod,
it has one of the eyes missing, and another eye has one of the legs that as pulled out of the whiping.
Other than that the rod is in really nice condition, no original bag.
Also a Daiwa Tommy Pickering Bomb special the tip as been broken off this but again is in really good condition.
I intend to sell both rods but have not got a clue as to how much they are worth.
Could your good selves help in putting a fair price to the rods.
Regards Terry

Sam Vimes

Your best bet is often to look at the completed listings on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=daiwa ivan marks&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=daiwa tommy pickering&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdaiwa pickering.TRS0&_nkw=daiwa pickering&_sacat=0

Just bear in mind that there have been several different ranges of Daiwa Tom Pickering rods. The price they attain varies significantly depending on the range and specific rod concerned.

Any damage is likely to significantly impact on the value. Broken tips, missing rod bags and damaged eyes are an issue with most buyers. Compounded faults and flaws can render even reasonably desirable rods almost worthless.

Last edited:

shang

Is the Ivan Marks the black version with gold tipped whippings and Seymo ? 3 legged rings ?

Captain Pugwash

Originally posted by shang

Is the Ivan Marks the black version with gold tipped whippings and Seymo ? 3 legged rings ?
No it a burgundy colour!

Paulnotts

ACCOUNT LOCKED
Originally posted by Captain Pugwash

I have a Daiwa Ivan Marks Lightning Carbon 13ft MGM.313 rod,
it has one of the eyes missing, and another eye has one of the legs that as pulled out of the whiping.
Other than that the rod is in really nice condition, no original bag.
Also a Daiwa Tommy Pickering Bomb special the tip as been broken off this but again is in really good condition.
I intend to sell both rods but have not got a clue as to how much they are worth.
Could your good selves help in putting a fair price to the rods.
Regards Terry
Just sold 9ft TP Bomb rod on eBay. Got 49 if that helps

Simon R

Site Supporter
Can't find the TP rod - as Sam said there's loads of rods with his name stuck on them - some more sought after than others.

Found the Lightning though - almost antique that rod[:T]
It's new in the 1982 catalogue, so will have actually come out in 1981. Click on the picture to make it readable.

Some of the very oldest carbon rods - Shakespeare President, Bruce & Walker XLT and a number of others are much sought after - for some reason the old Daiwas aren't - not until 1989 when the Whisker Kevlar came out or 1993/94 when the original Connoisseur was released do they become desirable.

Unfortunately it may prove to be very difficult to source a replacement eye to match the missing one - which will affect the resale value.

Simon

Last edited:

Captain Pugwash

Originally posted by Simon R

Can't find the TP rod - as Sam said there's loads of rods with his name stuck on them - some more sought after than others.

It's new in the 1982 catalogue, so will have actually come out in 1981. Click on the picture to make it readable.

Some of the very oldest carbon rods - Shakespeare President, Bruce & Walker XLT and a number of others are much sought after - for some reason the old Daiwas aren't - not until 1989 when the Whisker Kevlar came out or 1993/94 when the original Connoisseur was released do they become desirable.

Unfortunately it may prove to be very difficult to source a replacement eye to match the missing one - which will affect the resale value.

Simon
The TP model is TDCL 10Q 3.05m connoisseur Bomb special looks as it will be pretty much worthless as Paulnotts realised 49 for a undamaged one, may try get an end eye for it and continue using it, the Ivan Marks looks like gathering dust lol.
Thanks for you replies lads.

smiffy

The lightning was my first ever carbon rod. Fond memories but Id be surprised if it has any value. It was the budget carbon rod of its time.
If you want to use it why not strip it down and re-whip it again with new eyes? My next carbon rod after the lightning was a Century Excalibur that was bought as a kit,with the handle fitted,that you whipped yourself[:T]

Last edited:

matchstickman25

Originally posted by Captain Pugwash

Simon
The TP model is TDCL 10Q 3.05m connoisseur Bomb special looks as it will be pretty much worthless as Paulnotts realised 49 for a undamaged one, may try get an end eye for it and continue using it, the Ivan Marks looks like gathering dust lol.
Thanks for you replies lads.
The Whisker Kevlars worth something then? I have one with a green coloured Kevlar wrap- never realised it was THAT old!

NoCarpPlease

I still see several whisker kevlar 11-13 heavy feeder on the midlands river match circuit.
I have 3 of them, the first I bought after borrowing one for a Trent National in 1989 (Hoveringham big chuck).

Brilliant rod still, from skimmers through to double figure barbel IMO.

some of the ones on eBay have very ambitious buy it now prices. I picked two of mine up at around 45 quid a pop three years or so ago.

I can't comment on the float rods.

shang

Mine is the black version of the Harrier with the model number 8165-13.

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
That Harrier is even older - unless Daiwa recycle their model numbers like Shakespeare do.

It should be glass fibre - and date from sometime between 1979 & 1982

This is the 1979 catalogue - according to the blurb on the first couple of pages they were new that year.

Top of the range glass fibre that year - soon superseded by carbon though

Simon

matchstickman25

EDIT OK I'm wrong, I just noticed the model number in the previous post. I have a harrier but its also got tournament, kevlar and whisker in the name somewhere. Just to confuse everyone I think.

shang

That's my one [:D]. bought for me sometime around a mid teens birthday and came with a Daiwa 1600xbm reel (the first reel I owned which didn't need 100s of yards of backing line

Sam Vimes

Originally posted by matchstickman25

I have a harrier but its also got tournament, kevlar and whisker in the name somewhere. Just to confuse everyone I think.
Much depends on the exact model. As the wording can be confused and muddled by anyone, it's best to use the model number for a positive ID. As ever, Ebay searches of completed listings can give you some idea of worth. Search with Daiwa plus one of the other keywords of Tournament, Whisker, Kevlar and Harrier to give you the greatest chance of finding a match. Just be aware that plenty of sellers misname or confuse Daiwa rods and many of the names reappear in different models over many years.

The last Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Harrier Tournament (HTM-13.4) I saw for sale on ebay went for 147 inc post. However, it looked almost unused and was complete with the original tartan rod bag (eBay item number:
253206280233). I don't recall the last time I saw one offered for sale.

trotter2

Originally posted by smiffy

The lightning was my first ever carbon rod. Fond memories but Id be surprised if it has any value. It was the budget carbon rod of its time.
If you want to use it why not strip it down and re-whip it again with new eyes? My next carbon rod after the lightning was a Century Excalibur that was bought as a kit,with the handle fitted,that you whipped yourself[:T]
Yes I had a century Excalibur 13ft it was made from a blank. Part built with a cork handle already fitted purchased mid 80 if I remmember from Adams in darlington.
Advertised as the lightest rod at the time.
Still have it but has a broken tip infortunatly. It was a nice rod.
Later there was a spliced tip version Excalibur.
Mite get bit back out and fix it up for old time sake
[:T]

matchstickman25

Originally posted by Sam Vimes

Originally posted by matchstickman25

I have a harrier but its also got tournament, kevlar and whisker in the name somewhere. Just to confuse everyone I think.
Much depends on the exact model. As the wording can be confused and muddled by anyone, it's best to use the model number for a positive ID. As ever, Ebay searches of completed listings can give you some idea of worth. Search with Daiwa plus one of the other keywords of Tournament, Whisker, Kevlar and Harrier to give you the greatest chance of finding a match. Just be aware that plenty of sellers misname or confuse Daiwa rods and many of the names reappear in different models over many years.

The last Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Harrier Tournament (HTM-13.4) I saw for sale on ebay went for 147 inc post. However, it looked almost unused and was complete with the original tartan rod bag (eBay item number:
253206280233). I don't recall the last time I saw one offered for sale.
That's mine [:T]

Simon R

Site Supporter
Daiwa are a nightmare for recycling names - the Harrier name was first used in the late 70s and they were still using it 30 years later. In that tine though it will probably have been used for a dozen completely different range of rods - sometimes top of the range models, sometimes in the middle and sometimes at the bottom.
The model number is essential for Daiwa gear.

Shakespeare though used to have the annoying habit of recycling model numbers - and names too but to a lesser extent than Daiwa - except possibly for the Superteam legend that keeps appearing very couple of years on entirely different rods.
I don't remember the actual number but a few years after the original Match International rod was finally discontinued it's number reappeared attached to a 3rd or 4th generation President rod.

Simon

Dave Spence

MD Golden Pie Winner 2018
Site Supporter

Simon
When you compare the prices in the advert to current prices you have to ask the question, is tackle getting too expensive? [;)][}:)][}:)][;)]