Ireland 2019

Irishhybrids

Kniteforce , spot on , and most of those Roach are probably small hybrids , what a stupid statement Pigmeal .

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
If you are planning a trip to Ireland, the last two weeks of September and first two weeks of October is the time to go.
Days are getting shorter helping day light levels and a greater chance of some cloud\wind\chop on the water to give the fish some confidence\cover in the zebra mussel clear water.
I know from fishing the Shannon at Banagher the roach\bream\hybrids really get their heads down to feed up for winter at this time. I think it's very unfair to judge the fishing on bright days and crystal clear water.
Would you expect to catch large amounts of fish from the same conditions on the Thames and the Avon at Evesham?
These are wild fish and you must think like them and hunt for them. This may mean early mornings and evening sessions.
You can always have a big night and fish the following evening or stay quiet and fish a morning and evening session.
This is why people who ''get'' fishing for these hard fighting fish return as the challenge and since of reward after outwitting them gives a sense of achievement in beautiful surroundings, good company and Irish hospitality.
At the end of the day, fair play is good sport.........

Ringe

Big place that ‘Ireland’ - still plenty of places where you will only find water the colour of whiskey, even with zebras present - no shortage of generalisations and sweeping statements on this thread IMHO. Many of the waters that I fish, see very little in the way of anglers, hence access and getting the fish in front of you are the main (and admittedly quite challenging) issues that I face. When those wild fish do turn up, whether they be fin perfect Rudd, hard fighting hybrids, bream or tench, is largely irrelevant to me. Each to their own I appreciate, but there‘s no shortage of fish, from what I’ve seen.

tincaboy2

If you are planning a trip to Ireland, the last two weeks of September and first two weeks of October is the time to go.
Days are getting shorter helping day light levels and a greater chance of some cloud\wind\chop on the water to give the fish some confidence\cover in the zebra mussel clear water.
I know from fishing the Shannon at Banagher the roach\bream\hybrids really get their heads down to feed up for winter at this time. I think it's very unfair to judge the fishing on bright days and crystal clear water.
Would you expect to catch large amounts of fish from the same conditions on the Thames and the Avon at Evesham?
These are wild fish and you must think like them and hunt for them. This may mean early mornings and evening sessions.
You can always have a big night and fish the following evening or stay quiet and fish a morning and evening session.
This is why people who ''get'' fishing for these hard fighting fish return as the challenge and since of reward after outwitting them gives a sense of achievement in beautiful surroundings, good company and Irish hospitality.
At the end of the day, fair play is good sport.........
just to concur with what Tinca Mad has said, the timing is crucial. finding the hybrids and bream on the Shannon can be difficult during the summer months from May to mid August, my own experience is that the end of August that's when the fishing starts improving the first sign is the return of the Hybrids, then as you go into September I've noticed with the first period of heavy rain and couple degrees drop in air temps the bream appear, however water temps needs to stay above 14c, by mid october when the water temps dips below 12c you can forget about the bream and hybrids. ths year the roach were scarce at the end of the summer but they've just now started to appear again, i think it's a combination of water temps and the summer weed dying off in the river. so there you have my explanation with the last week of September my opinion being the optimum time to come over to Ireland, better than late spring.

tincaboy2

Not many bream about these days
agree that there's not the huge shoals that there used to be in the midland rivers and lakes, and sometimes i'd fish for months without one bream to show and then suddenly they will appear, of course not the 100lb nets however 50lb to 60lb are still easily achievable. Also the western Lakes that have held bream for years but no-one targets them have some huge shoals, look up "Ballinrobe river bream" on youtube

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Going Fishing......... 4
J Fishing Talk 1
Daws Bait Talk 3
62tucker The Politics Room 20
G Where You Fished Today 5