Ireland 2019

YOUNGIAN

Going over next weekend for the first trip of the year to Mohill area.Been going there about 25 years now.Had some great times and bad but it always draws me back.Got some pigeon conditioner to try this year so not going to bother with casters for a change.Will see if it makes a difference or not.

nutmeg

Hi Youngian, Been thinking about a fishing trip to the Mohill area, do you go self catering or guest house, have you got anywhere that you could reccomend to stay, l would either be with the wife, or a fishing buddy.
Is Mohill ok for places to eat out at, and some good bars of course.
Do you tend to stick to certain fishing lakes or travel around, if with the wife it has to be easy access these days, with my mate it can be anywhere.
I am going over in July for 10 nights staying in Athlone again, the fishing aint too brill there these days but we have got a coule of go to venues, but we now also have days away from fishing when we go to the horse racing, or even a day trying to play golf.
Our main bulk bait is a combination of, vitalin original, goat mix, layers mash and just a few bags of traditional bream groundbaits.

YOUNGIAN

Hi Youngian, Been thinking about a fishing trip to the Mohill area, do you go self catering or guest house, have you got anywhere that you could reccomend to stay, l would either be with the wife, or a fishing buddy.
Is Mohill ok for places to eat out at, and some good bars of course.
Do you tend to stick to certain fishing lakes or travel around, if with the wife it has to be easy access these days, with my mate it can be anywhere.
I am going over in July for 10 nights staying in Athlone again, the fishing aint too brill there these days but we have got a coule of go to venues, but we now also have days away from fishing when we go to the horse racing, or even a day trying to play golf.
Our main bulk bait is a combination of, vitalin original, goat mix, layers mash and just a few bags of traditional bream groundbaits.
Hi Nutmeg,Nowadays I stay with friends a couple of miles from Mohill but I have stayed with local angler Brian Bohan who runs a self catering cottage called Chafflyns Cottage.Its also a couple of miles outside of Mohill.Brian has a great local knowledge of all the waters nearby and off the beaten track places and a very good angler also.As for bars and eating out,to be honest I’ve not used either in or around Mohill but In nearby Dromod is Cox’s steakhouse which is very popular.I do tend to travel around the area a bit for my fishing as I like to get out and about but I do usually try to fish Lough Rynn(a favourite)a few times as it is very underfished but is stuffed with fish,access can be a problem but some bits are easily reached.

nutmeg

Cheers mate much appreciated. Brian used to post on here at one time but not for a while now.
Will go through my irish angling books and do some proper research.
(y)

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Couple of weeks off to the Mahons in Enniskillen with Dam amongst others.

YOUNGIAN

Thought I would post a report after returning from Ireland last weekend.Stayed not far from Mohill in Leitrim.Arrival was slightly delayed by Storm Hannah so I was glad to arrive at Dublin port.
Day 1 and a later start than normal so went up to Lough Allen which is usually where I go on the first day to gauge how the fishing will be.Just tip fished today and it wasn’t great.A decent stamp of Hybrids but no Roach at all.Only Weighed 16lb and a disappointing start but I should have set up a waggler as it is always the best method.After having tea I was back out onto Lough Rynn,again with a tip rod as it was still quite windy.Caught 2-6oz Hybrids all evening with a few 1lb Skimmers too.Didnt take a net but probably had 20lb or so.
Day 2 and I decided to try a Lough where I knew some Bream had been caught a week or so earlier.As I hadn’t been before it took a bit of finding but it was worth it.But not unfortunately for the fishing that day.No Bream just a few Hybrids upto 10oz But no Roach either and bites were hard to come by.It was a lovely depth on the whip/pole line and a good depth out on the tip too so one for future visits.Went back on Rynn after tea for a couple of hours with the waggler rod.Again lots of Hybrids,Rudd and some Skimmers plus a nice Tench but no Roach.Easily 20-25lb.Baited up peg for early start tomorrow.
Day 3 and started fishing at 6am with the waggler and had a Tench almost straight away but then just Hybrids and skimmers.Lost another Tench and had Pike problems.Back having breakfast by 10.Had 26lb.Went out again late afternoon to Barneys shore Lough Allen with my mate and fished a waggler catching Hybrids and Roach 2-10oz.Lovely Fishing.Weighed 36lb.Rob Had 26lb on a 6m whip.Fed a peg to try tomorrow....Willpost the rest later.AEC4B091-53D2-4245-BF17-946DB297A5FF.jpeg54A9E9C7-2917-4DE3-91B1-6CFA78BA22BE.jpegF2E83AB4-69F5-4A32-AB1E-97E80238FB7E.jpegF002F728-5A5B-49F2-8822-3D3CCE347703.jpeg7ED1D121-C428-4750-A042-B433931972B0.jpeg4362B56E-B394-4CE0-BA00-A127B3F8CA53.jpeg

YOUNGIAN

Went back to the peg I had Baited up the previous evening which I only fed short to fish the whip to hand.Caught well straight away Hybrids and Roach and then nothing.Thought it was Pike about but a bite out of the blue turned out to be a Bream of about 3 lb.This continued through the day and the smaller fish would back off and the Bream would arrive.To be honest I made a mess of the peg today as I continued to fish the whip but was bumping them off or foulhooking them and I should have gone to the car(100m away)for my pole but was too lazy.I eventually got mad enough with myself and changed to fish my 8m Airity whip to shortlining pole style and what a difference it made.More Bream and good Hybrids hooked properly.I Weighed 76lb and think I could and should have easily had nearly double that.I was mad with myself big time😠😠.Went out to a short stretch of river that comes into Rynn in the evening after a fellow Maggotdrowner tipped me off.6m whip again and had 40 fish in 90 mins up to 10oz and mostly roach.Overall a Nice days fishing.023E5698-652E-42DE-B683-AFCE5532F860.jpeg1A857997-9510-4B9A-AF9A-B900291879DE.jpeg65C7DEAA-FE96-4B6F-80B3-9C1836B26D58.jpeg

YOUNGIAN

Day 5 Back to yesterday’s peg to see if the Bream are still around.Will fish properly for them this time!!.Unfortunately they were not around and my 10m line never really got going.Did catch but ended up between waggler and corn further out for better Hybrids and my top kit just by my keepnet with a shot rig and small hook catching roach and Hybrids which turned out my best line.Ended up with 42lb.My mate fished a waggler all day for 27lb.Back to Lough Rynn for 2 hours in the evening with the waggler,lots of small skimmers,Rudd,Hybrids and Roach.Weighed 19lb.98FD0E31-AC74-4AC2-ADCD-4DD218557A01.jpeg542B4FB2-9A8E-40D3-BB3B-4CA85127A4D2.jpeg

Day 6.Early morning on Rynn again with the waggler.Despite feeding fish definitely being in the peg it was slow and I only managed a Bream,couple of skimmers and some Hybrids and also lost a Tench at the net.Finished for breakfast by 9.Went to the boat ramps on Rynn later just with the whip and a bit of bait and had 2 Tench,roach and Hybrids.Ok for an hour or two.Back to The mornings peg after tea and bubbling fish still evident and got 4Tench,skimmers and Hybrids on the waggler again.24lb.E53D51B1-81A8-47DC-AFCC-A4128F0F9711.jpeg615755A5-DFE7-4659-842C-37892EFDAE9E.jpeg

YOUNGIAN

Day 7.Went to the Mudflats on the Shannon for some feeder fishing for a change.Fished at 35 turns mostly with red worm catching skimmers and Hybrids up to a 1lb.No Roach about at all with vert little flow.Ended up with 28lb.Back out onto the little river at Rynn for 90 minutes after tea and had 73 fish,again mostly roach averaging 4-6oz.Fishing 6m whip again with 4g rig.D4B2DCB3-E394-46B2-8DB6-92CB7E2098A3.jpegC186A8EC-0C24-4D37-977A-E08B8B9C71E0.jpegB98BCD36-623F-46C7-8433-E088CA7E1F2D.jpeg

YOUNGIAN

Day 8..Last day today and an easy day with the car right behind me at Barneys shore Lough Allen.Had a later start than normal so just started on the tip but it was hard going so I set up a waggler and had a bite a Chuck from Hybrids and Roach,nothing big but loads of fish.Hardly fed any ground bait today as I just loose fed pigeon conditioner (seed particles)and the fish seemed to like it.Have used it all week instead of casters and it certainly hasn’t done any harm.Didnt bother weighing in today but 20-25lb easily.A match was fished here on the following day an 64lb won then 53 and 43 and plenty of 30s.Fish coming in for spawning?Had a great time with plenty of fish caught.I don’t get hung up on catching Bream I am just happy to catch what’s there.If I’m getting bites I’m happy😉C797A58D-3BBC-4495-BB06-299B069E9696.jpeg

Attachments

nutmeg

Good fishing, photo's and reports, thanks for taking the time to post them up for us to share.
Roll on july when l am over there for ten nights.

mtwales

Any anglers been over recently seems vert quiet on this thread at the minute

tincaboy2

Any anglers been over recently seems vert quiet on this thread at the minute
I've been catching plenty of small bream on the river in the mid-shannon region and on the canal, also english anglers catching 100lb plus bags in lakes around cavan gowna region. most require pre-baiting for a few days before the fish show up.

mtwales

Thanks going over sept to killeshandra but know fishing patchy at minute got our usual haunts to go to ,always pre bait but have Found out last few years once you get decent weight forget it next day

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Going over to Carrigallen September 10th, counting down the days, 2 weeks later than we normally travel, fancy Gowna, although had 2 blank days last year on it at Arnaghan in 40ft of water.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Going Fishing......... 4
J Fishing Talk 1
Daws Bait Talk 3
62tucker The Politics Room 20
G Where You Fished Today 5