Interesting Vacancies at AT

rudd

Its a position for a graduate.
Under the threshold so loans not paid back.
Gain experience for CV.
Do a good job and go for promotion or most likely else where for bigger salary.
Or possibly a retired person looking to work again - know plenty who have retired and got bored after a few years.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I think there would be less stressful jobs available for £15ish per hour and not tied to the pressure of reaching and exceeding targets all the time.

rudd

I think there would be less stressful jobs available for £15ish per hour and not tied to the pressure of reaching and exceeding targets all the time.
I think most jobs these days are target driven and cause stress.
You can blame the Japanese car industry for that - yes I am LEAN trained 😉

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I think most jobs these days are target driven and cause stress.
You can blame the Japanese car industry for that - yes I am LEAN trained 😉
Not in my line of work ;)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Its all very well striving for efficiency in the work place and I think we all want that, maximum output for minimum input etc. The very nature of a Marketing Manager in angling cannot be done sitting at home or in the office on a computer. It has to be a field operation at grass roots level and that means getting out and about meeting the non-angling people that just might take up the sport on a permanent basis rather than a one off as the figures of the introduction of 75,000 in the last year would suggest. You don't need the qualifications the AT are requiring to do that.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
The minute I see the word manager nowadays, I think the following:

Why hasn't the role been filled by natural progression from someone internally working up the scale.
Manager should suggest circa 30k if you are managing and therefore have accountability tied in with responsibility.
Whilst the salary may reflect the austere times we live in (those at the top and doing well advise things are austere anyway), the title doesn't match the salary imo.

Not aiming any of these at the business in question, but just personally speaking the word manager always has me thinking twice nowadays and especially if the wage doesn't seem to match the title, which does seem to also be the opinion of a good few.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The titles of Manager, Executive, Supervisor and the like are just handed out willy-nilly these days to make people feel more important than they actually are. Its a bit like the Queens birthday honours. OBE, CBE and MBE seem to be given to anyone who have served many years in their field of expertise. Absolutely meaningless IMO.

Lee Richards

Correct to some degree Mike and a good example of this is (as it's relevant) is in the field of Sales & Marketing.
Where once salesmen were just called that you will now find that more and more have the title of manager,area manager,regional manager,assistant manager in their title. This might apply even if they are the only salesperson for that region.
Other competitors do it so as to ensure parity everyone else follows suit.

It may seem trivial but you try looking for new employment and it's far from it.
Most applications are via online portals and most have filter systems,so if they are looking for management material any c.v's or profiles without it specified are downgraded or discarded.

As for the pay, for Leominster the £28,000 is average for similar positions and some jobs pay far less than we would imagine. (try looking up anything related to the Police Services - well below comparable in the private sector)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The jobs available are not location based though. They are work from home based, so someone living in Oxford could apply. The travel expenses would be for the occasional visit to either central office, so I don't think the location salary has much relevance. The average salary for a "Marketing Manager" is around £40k

Lee Richards

If the national average is £40,000 what is your opinion on why they are not offering that and only offering a salary closer to that of the average for the "base" location?

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
If the national average is £40,000 what is your opinion on why they are not offering that and only offering a salary closer to that of the average for the "base" location?
It can only be because the salary is coming from our angling licence fees and not from Sport England. This funding strategy can easily backfire in the sense of pay peanuts - get monkeys scenario.

Lee Richards

Do you not find it a coincidence though that the pro-rata salary they are offering is that of the average for the region where the organisation is based? :)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
The problem lays within the qualification requirements in that the person with those qualifications would be experienced in general marketing toward a certain demographic. Angling covers many demographics as it has a much broader spectrum of participation, ie. age, gender, ability, religion etc etc.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Do you not find it a coincidence though that the pro-rata salary they are offering is that of the average for the region where the organisation is based? :)
Yes, it probably is based on location, but the fall down there is the working from home part.

Lee Richards

Utopia does not exist Mike and you could make the same argument for any job position.

I just find the salary coincidence for the region very significant and it is a substantial difference to the £40,000 you posted
There has to be a reason for that.
Anyone have any links to the Angling Trust who can inquire? :)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Utopia does not exist Mike and you could make the same argument for any job position.

I just find the salary coincidence for the region very significant and it is a substantial difference to the £40,000 you posted
There has to be a reason for that.
Anyone have any links to the Angling Trust who can inquire? :)
Why not ask them yourself and let us know (y)

Lee Richards

No need to Mike
I am happy with my reason why the salary is the same as the average for where the AT is based.
Until you can put forward an alternative answer then it won't be changing.