Hydro given up

Pole-Fisher-90

I think I’m about given up on hydro 4 fish hooked today and 4 fish lost .. all carp on orange hydro seem to pull out of them all ☹

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Never heard of orange Hydro. Is it a recent introduction?

Ah, I see it is, and rated 4-8. so presumably your fish were up to 2 lb? If they were bigger the problem would probably be that when the fish moved towards you the elastic, which would be a long way out of the pole, would not retract quickly enough to keep pressure on the hook, which then falls out. At this time of year, though, a lot of fish are hooked only in the edge of the lip, so you could have just been unlucky.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yeh maybe I was the fish were to 3-4lb tops on the strike fish went left and then pinged off 🙈

@chefster always look for any other excuse me 😂😂😂
Can be a bit harsh for this time of year , I prefer Preston solid 6 or 8 in winter, a lot softer.... pink hydro is a lot more forgiving than orange

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks do you pre stretch your elastics?
Yes mate , not overly just stretch them out till it bottoms out...Preston 6 is brilliant for winter, as is pink hydro, hydro doesn’t work as well in really cold weather though

Pole-Fisher-90

Thanks for the info .. what lube do you use I’ve been using the Daiwa but doesn’t seem to work my elastic still sticks 🤔

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks for the info .. what lube do you use I’ve been using the Daiwa but doesn’t seem to work my elastic still sticks 🤔
my elastics don’t really stick but I do have a bottle of diluted hair conditioner, which keeps things smooth

Paul.P

Must say, I usually like the F1 ( orange ) hydro, but I do find it doesn't work so well when the weather gets cold, so your probably better going to a solid in the winter.

rudd

Never heard of orange Hydro. Is it a recent introduction?

Ah, I see it is, and rated 4-8. so presumably your fish were up to 2 lb? If they were bigger the problem would probably be that when the fish moved towards you the elastic, which would be a long way out of the pole, would not retract quickly enough to keep pressure on the hook, which then falls out. At this time of year, though, a lot of fish are hooked only in the edge of the lip, so you could have just been unlucky.
Agree, disgorger not needed once yesterday for Roach and Perch.
All hooked lightly.

Me and my lad

I swapped to NG elastic (pink) as I had the same issues in winter with hydro orange. However, for spring use hydro orange is still good.