How things change !

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I was young there was butter and margarine. Margarine was for the working man, most of whom couldn't afford butter. The margarine was only one step up from dripping ! Now we have " dairy spread" which I will admit is a big improvement on the old marg. , but nothing can ever match the taste of real butter. ! I can't believe it's not butter ",,,,,,,,, I can !

Sportsman

As far as I am concerned, both butter and margarine are a step down from dripping, at least for spreading on bread. I wish I could get some decent dripping these days.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
There was a old lad who used to come in our local who worked in Leeds market cooking pork and beef joints the Dripping he brought us in was the best I’ve ever tasted 👍

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I just dont like butter, and never have. In the old day never got much chance of the drippen bread me dad use to finish it off.
Thinking now of the foods we had and what there is available now, is mind boggling.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I love butter and beef dripping, trouble is they cut all the fat off the meat now, whats that all about. I remember as a teenager our mother saying we will eat margerine from now on its healthier, I said you lot can I'll buy my own butter out of my saturday job money.
The way I see it, if people have been eating it for thousands of years, it's good for you. Look around the supermarket half of it didn't exist 40 years ago let alone in our grandparents day.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I try to eat seasonally. Having food from all over the world available all of the time makes it boring. As for dripping the bit I like is at the bottom of the bowl, the black and crunchy bit. I got told off so many times for running a knife round the bowl tipping it out and scrapping the best bit off the bottom.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I would not want to live without butter, it makes everything nicer in cooking or otherwise. I do not know enough about dripping
to comment.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Gee it's all about the gee.
If you are making an injun do the following. Take a piece of butter the size of a matchbox and heat it in a small saucepan, scoop of the muck
and cook whatever you are cooking in the clear liquid left, sorted. I should get paid for this, please send me your bank details. I promise any
funds received will be spent wisely ;)

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I remember in Leeds Market you could buy Butter by the Ounce, My old lass would get some in a Tupperware box every week it was Lovely butter.

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
I remember bread and dripping for breakfast with a sprinkle of salt or marmite😛 My mother used to save the fat from the Sunday roast for our dripping😀

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
A slice of bread and a run round the table !
As long as it has dripping on it 😋😋😋

Pompous git

Site Supporter
As far as I am concerned, both butter and margarine are a step down from dripping, at least for spreading on bread. I wish I could get some decent dripping these days.
Butter and margarine in the same sentence, you are obviously common as muck.