how many of you keep a fishing diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

nog

the method man
hi everyone iv been going fishing since i was 6 and hav kept a diary for my fishing since i was 16 which is now 20 yr ago god i feel old lol i was just wondering if anyone else does this i lov reading my old diarys and can see how my aproach to fishing has changed over the yrs does anyone else do this or am i the only sado [:D]

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I have done for years nog but some yearts ago my darling ex wife threw all my old ones in a skip without telling me. Despicable bitch.

sladey

I dont keep a diary but just records of match results and money won.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have got some diaries from the seventies with details of venue, fish caught, weather etc and I did try to keep some comprehensive notes on venues and matches in the eighties, but as most venues are constantly evolving and changing, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the effort of having reference documents that needed constantly updating.

TonusStonus

Diary of a Thames Fisherman
I keep everything on my PC. Simple word documents with all the details of successful sessions. I dont do anything for blanks unless something happened worth writing about.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
I've started keeping a diary just recently noting things like venue, swim fished (or description) water depth, temperature, weather condition, baits used, etc. and fish caught. It can be quite useful to review and reflect.

TheHat

I have all my diaries at home recording every fishing trip I've done since 1968!

God!.......that's 38 years!

Now you've really made me feel old!

Started doing it after I read "In Search of Big Fish" by Frank Gutfield - well worth the read if you can get hold of a copy. This book is written in the form of a diary and is an excellent story of speci-hunting in the 60s.

Stewart Bloor does an excellent one here:

http://www.sicm.org/anglingdiary/

Last edited:

Chorley

I have kept a diary of every match i have ever fished since age 13!
They are great for looking back at what weights were like in similar months in years gone by. You definitely remember the good times and forget all the blanks!
I would recommend keeping one to anyone. I loved it when I was a kid and kept trying to beat my best weight on the canal. It took me 2 seasons to weigh a pound! LOL

metalforever

Biker Kid
i tend to work from match results rather than diaries however starting next year im going to be fishing alot more venues which are foreign to me so i'm going to consider doing a bit of paper work about them

nog

the method man
it good to know im not the only one who keeps diary like i say iv had one since i was 16 i even fill it wen i blank also because i try to figure out why i have blanked and what i could of done to hav got a fish to the bank i find it very usefull to keep a diary and would recommend it to anyone.[:)]

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
I've intended staring one on a couple of accasions but seem to end up with bits of scr*p paper in drawers everywhere, I think i'll make a proper effort to start one in 2007.

chewy49

LumbValleyAnglers
i made a site for keeping records months ago.

i've still not added anything to it [:(]

i shall, and keep on doing - starting from the first trip out after new year.

[:)]

Last edited:

dward1996

Life Member
quote:Originally posted by Peter

Mine's an online one that you can find HERE.[;)]
Looks like a very interesting read Peter, thanks for giving us the link.

Personally, I have kept a fishing diary since I started fishing. Up until the start of this year, it was just a basic diary. I just recorded date, venue, rod/pole/reel used and fish caught. However, from the start of this year, I decided to record each trip with a lot more detail. I now record everything from tackle used, to depth fished, who I went with, weather conditions, water quality, etc. It does actually help by recording things, as it helps you to remember what you did, and what in hindsight might have been a better approach. This is the sort of thing that I'd probably forget, if I didn't record it.

The other advantage of writing a diary, is to remind you of the great pleasure you had on each trip. Each account tells it's own tale, and has wonderful memories (even if I blanked, and lost lots of terminal tackle!).

Stewart Bloor

I take a book with me that gets a whole load of information and detail recorded in it. In addition I have a website called 'Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal' that I update weekly with an article based on the previous seven days angling.

I have been running that since 2003 and it's been faithfully updated every Saturday - which is the key to keeping the site alive and interesting so that people keep visiting.

The address is www.anglingdiary.com

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Like Sladey, I keep a record of my match results.

But I record the money lost. [:(]

shootinfishin

Better than slappy
Can ayone recommend a good specific for fishing, notebook/diary and where you can buy it? Pretty please[:D]

slappy

has waved bye bye
all ya going to put in it mate is,
1/ got to venue set up ,cast out rods
2/set down and get comfy
3/crack open a few beers and get drunk!!!
4/fall over as had 1 too many
5/pass out in bivy

now thats what i call a good days fishing : - )

Status
Not open for further replies.