How many members shoot their own fishing videos?

Maverick

Site Supporter
I posted a question a couple of weeks back asking how you take a selfie whilst holding a fish A few weeks on and after someone putting a daft idea in my head and I'm now dabbling into action cameras and videoing myself fishing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I blame my 5yr old Granddaughter for all this initially but when something peaks my interest I just can't help getting carried away. It's all in the name of fun and I have no intention of becoming the next Youtube sensation :p

If anyone has any experience in making fishing videos and has any advice or tips to offer an eager novice please P.M. me and share your knowledge. Be warned I have lots of questions. It's a fascinating bit of fun if you have the time and inclination to try it.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Im pretty sure I put the whole action camera thing into your head if I remember correctly.

I recently got mine in the mail and I haven't gone fishing without it yet - It's excellent fun! I even took it out on my nephews first fishing session catching roach and perch, He also loved watching it back while we discussed what he was and wasn't doing wrong. I do it casually and I don't intend on becoming a Youtube sensation, I just crop and edit the videos as I please, Save them to my PC and watch them back as I please, Another thing I also really enjoy about it is having the ability to see where I can better myself at handling fish on the pole.

It's relatively simple to do. You can crop and edit videos to your liking easily enough with even Windows Movie Maker, If not theres plenty of really good, free editing software out there for you to use. I'm not an editing master but if you have any questions Ill help out to the best of my ability.

Edit; The only downside is people giving you weird looks on the lake. I'm not going to lie I've awkwardly commentated once or twice for a few minutes just for a bit of fun. The inner Matt Hays is too strong in me I guess. lol.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Shot a bit of video yesterday (get me talking the lingo already) Just positioned the camera on a bracket on the end of my side tray and pointed it in the general direction etc. When I played the video footage back the first obvious mistake was that it appeared very dark as though the sun was just setting as dawn was approaching. In fact it was early morning and a really bright sunny start to the day. So much so I was wearing poleroids.

My guess and that's all it is, was that the camera was facing the bright sun and the lens couldn't quite cope with it. I was filming in 1080p at 60fps.
I put the video in my editing software and added a brightness filter. This did the job but the video lost a lot of its quality in the process and parts of it became quite jerky and pixelated.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
2 things you could do to prevent that problem. One is to fit a UV filter on the lens, and the other is while it's on the bracket, try using a brolly for shade.

Total

Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Maverick, post: 2397265, member: 17812"

Pack it in. Your not big and your not clever :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
[/QUOTE]

Look forward to seeing your fishing video tactics on Youtube..;):giggle:......Howtocastinthesamelake.com :p :ROFLMAO:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Maverick

If you can't get a UV/polarizing filter for the camcorder. see if you can tape a lens from a pair of sunglasses to the lens on the camera. I don't know if this works with the new type camera's but it certainly worked on the camcorders that ran on Hi8 or miniDV tapes.
Another thing is find a shady spot that's not going to get the glare off the water.

Last edited: