House Security

stikflote

Site Supporter
HI,
we are thinking of getting an alarm system for our house
think I slipped up Asda was selling a Yale system for 60 at Christmas,but I didn't know how it worked or how to fit it.

So over to you lads for help and advice

Keith

woodmagnet

Dartist.
Alarms only work these days I.M.O.
if your nearest neighbours know
about it. But a good idea if you
have worries. [:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
You are not going to get much for 60. The cheapest I can see on Yale's own site is this at 176.

https://www.yalestore.co.uk/yale-hsa6400-premium-wireless-telecommunicating-alarm.html

Wireless, control panel, two PIRs, two door/window contacts and two alarm boxes one probably a dummy. No mention as to whether the alarm box and/or control panel need to be hard wired to the mains.

That system would do a job and be better than nothing. I believe that a system is a deterrent though someone determined to do a smash & grab may still break in.

The downside would be that a DIY kit would save you nothing on house insurance as it isn't professionally fitted and annually serviced.

Also if you have pets the PIRs will need to be fitted in rooms they cannot get into. You can get pet-friendly ones but I doubt the ones in this kit are.

I can't see that the kit has remote key fobs but description says you can use your phone instead otherwise the system would need to be armed and disarmed manually on the control panel. I actually don't like key fobs to arm/disarm. If someone gets your fob and knows where you live then they can disarm the system with one click. I prefer to use the 4 digit code.

You set the alarm when leaving the house so the panel needs to be near the normal final exit door. Normally a one button operation to set and need to enter a 4 digit code to disarm on entry (assuming one door contact is on the exit/entry door). You will get 30 seconds to exit after arming and the same to disarm on entry. This time may be adjustable but 30s is plenty of time to do both operations.

Like smoke alarms the batteries will need replacing in all parts regularly, normally annually. Don't wait until a battery fails.

stikflote

Site Supporter
It won't make any difference top house insurance, we don't have any

david white

Site Supporter
Having worked in this sector for over 30 years I'd honestly say buy the best you can afford this market really is in a sector that you get what you pay for

The basic concept of an alarm is to act as a deterrent and the industry quite literally plays catch up to the would be intruders

The like of Yale Tate and A1 alarm boxes are almost held in disregard by would be intruders

The best advice I can give is look around your neighbourhood note down common named local systems and check out their credibility with the local police security advisor then ask at least 3 firms for a site survey

( once you have done this please feel free to PM me if you want further advice I'll send you my private number and copy of my NACOS approved credentials for your assurance )

pat 1948

Originally posted by stikflote

It won't make any difference top house insurance, we don't have any
My house is alarmed and although as you say you will not be covered insurance wise unless the alarm is installed by someone like Yale who are recognised by the insurance companies.

The house breakers/burglars these days will break into your house and systematically go through every drawer and cupboard, but having an alarm fitted will deter them from doing this, there's no guarantee it will stop them from breaking into your property but when they see the flashing LED's it'll make them think twice, they say you may as well just keep a dog as a deterrent, well, We've got both.[:D]

I had my alarm fitted after the police suggested it would be a good idea when I had high power centre fire rifles for deer stalking, there were rim fire rifles and shotguns too, all gone now, the only gun left is a .22 ratting air rifle.

Lol

Account Closed
Site Supporter
Bit of a crossover to the South Africa thing but I was talking to a chap from there who got out whilst it was just starting to get bad.
He fitted a metal plate connected to the mains under every window and covered them each day with wet rugs.
Seeing as the locals went barefoot you can imagine the rest when they broke in [:D]

Scalper

NCP....
Site Supporter
Account Locked
Wire-up your door handles to a 13 amp socket!!!!

That should stop 'em all right!

A mate had a car repair unit on a sink estate and he was sick of having his tools and gear robbed but he had noticed that they were coming in through the roof so he got a sheet of chip board, knocked a whole pile of sharp 6" nails in it and placed it where they were jumping down onto the garage floor...

The next day said mate opened up the unit to see bloody footprints all over where they had escaped...

Strangely robbery attempts dropped rite off after that!!!.......

If I would be looking at getting an alarm it would have to be an insurance approved one and proffesionally installed. Anything else would be a waste of time and a 60 one is a total waste of time...

If you truely value your possesions you have to spend a similar amount protecting them and your family!!!

Getting a safe is a good idea - even a cheap one is better that none at all, so your documents, Jewellery etc have an extra level of protection!

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem with a lot of the battery powered 'wireless' units is you have to remember to change the batteries and if you just do them one at a time as and when needed you'll feel like you're spending your life going around changing batteries.

Hardwired is the way to go. Not always possible but a good alarm installer will know how to route wire to minimise disruption and damage to decorations

A bad cheap alarm is worse than no alarm as it tells the career burglar that you've got a poo alarm and you're trying to protect something

stikflote

Site Supporter
At the time I saw the Yale alarm system at assay I thought it was a good deal ,but I had not gone into it then,