Hook prices.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A few days ago, I dropped on a tackle shop, popped in to get some size 14 eyed B911's. Price was £1.50. In the local tackle shop here, they are £1.60. I got some from Bobco, and they cost me £1.15 per pack (so I got 5 packs). I cannot work out why the difference in prices unless of course it's the amount of mark-up the shop puts on. Has anyone else noticed this when buying their favourite make/pattern?

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The more a company sells the better the discount from the manufacturer they can command. The more discount they can pass on to the end user the more they sell. Its a vicious circle Pete. Only one winner ..... The customer. BUT, and it is a big BUT .... If we all simply buy the cheapest from wherever lets not moan when our local tackle shop is no more. Im only saying 😲😲😲

Total

Site Supporter
Know what you mean Pete. :(......The only way I can save is buying the hooks I use in bulk when I see a good price. (y)

Did you actually pop into to Bobco to buy your hooks?

Total

Site Supporter
The more a company sells the better the discount from the manufacturer they can command. The more discount they can pass on to the end user the more they sell. Its a vicious circle Pete. Only one winner ..... The customer. BUT, and it is a big BUT .... If we all simply buy the cheapest from wherever lets not moan when our local tackle shop is no more. Im only saying 😲😲😲
That's a fair point Mick, but then the local shop offset the their loss trying to sell me maggots at £3.30/pint.....:oops:......A reverse 'Loss leader' :D:giggle:

Silverfisher

I have noticed slight differences between shops, I would think it is just a mark up thing. I assume they pick their price point as either the highest or lowest they can get away with dependant on how they do business.

trotter2

Has anyone worked out how much your spending on hooks in a year. I did just quite recently it came to a fair bit of money I was surprised myself.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Know what you mean Pete. :(......The only way I can save is buying the hooks I use in bulk when I see a good price. (y)

Did you actually pop into to Bobco to buy your hooks?
No mate, a mate was in there and messaged me about them, he knew I wanted some.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Has anyone worked out how much your spending on hooks in a year. I did just quite recently it came to a fair bit of money I was surprised myself.
I daren't do that, I've had one heart attack and want to live a little longer.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Price of anything has nothing to do with cost. Just watch Dragon's Den to understand that.

As for spending on hooks, it depends whether you re-use them as I do or bin them after one use as others do.

Reactions: T.I

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I re-use them when I can. but If I've been in a snaggy swim or done a real bagging session then I'll bin.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Price of anything has nothing to do with cost. Just watch Dragon's Den to understand that.
I know that from experience. I worked in a tackle shop/float factory and the price of actually making a float to the mark-up when they hit the shop floor used to make my eyes water.
If only the chinese would make their take-away's as cheap as they sell stuff on Ebay I'd be quids in.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I can see that theres a lot of folk on here that have never worked for themselves. I bet the guys that do or have are having a smile at that. There is a lot to pay out before a company shoves that cash in its back pocket. If you only knew. 😣

Rick123

Have you not noticed how a small piece of rubber, cut into a dozen bits can cost you £3 when put in a packet? Rig tube and such are all sold at prices that simply don't reflect the true cost, but you have to buy them sadly, most times. What we need is a Co-op style place were people can buy tackle at a more reflective price maybe? I find E-Bay really good for many things, but sadly at times the quality or size is not quite right. The hooks I'm buying right now are £4.95 for 10, posted, but I do re-use them. However I need various sizes and patterns, easy to spend £50 just on hooks, F@£k!!

Silverfisher

To be honest I rarely buy loose hooks for coarse fishing these day as the vast majority of the time I use hooks to nylon/pre tired hooklengths or whatever you want to call them. Probably 2/3 of the loose hooks I own are for sea fishing.