Home made pole floats

Bob Astill

Site Supporter
Hi all I have taken the plunge and bought the bits to make my own pole floats is there a guide on what length to cut the stems and tips is it the same for carbon fibreglass stainless and titanium ? watched loads on you tube videos on how to do it but nothing on lengths I would of thought size would also make a difference .2 .3 .4 .5 etc any help appreciated I have just sent off for a guide and dvd from Finesse Floats don't know if it will be any use?

Thank you Bob

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi all I have taken the plunge and bought the bits to make my own pole floats is there a guide on what length to cut the stems and tips is it the same for carbon fibreglass stainless and titanium ? watched loads on you tube videos on how to do it but nothing on lengths I would of thought size would also make a difference .2 .3 .4 .5 etc any help appreciated I have just sent off for a guide and dvd from Finesse Floats don't know if it will be any use?

Thank you Bob
Maybe a shout out to peter ( Ukzero1 ). He made floats for some years professionally.

T.I

Site Supporter
I made a shotting tube (2l coke bottle) and played about with stem lengths by assembling but not gluing. I did this to make sure the float would sit upright without shot. Started with a 200mm stem and trimmed 20mm off until it started tipping or it looked too short. I found a thicker tip effected this balance as did the spring eye, just a case of some trial and error. Whether the float sitting upright without shot is important I don't know but it's how I wanted them.

After faffing about and getting a feel for things, I decided to just assemble floats using either 150mm of 'stem' intended for floats 2ft..4ft and 200mm of 'stem' for floats intended for rigs over 4ft. This leaves plenty of material to cut shorter if desired, simplifies assembly and the maths worked nicely with the 600mm lengths of stem material I bought.

You can browse some of the float makers websites and they occasionally state the length for the float and/or stem.

This article may be of interest Spare the stem, spoil the float!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Bob Astill

I recommend you watch this first from Anglers Mail. It goes through the stems available, even cane...

Secondly, have a go at this, easy to make and takes the guesswork out of cutting pole float tips...

There are other options like stem through etc. It can be as easy or tricky as you want to make it, but watching those 2 video's will give you a better insight. Also remember that the shape of pole float bodies will have direct impact on shotting weight and length of tip and stem.
If you decide to make the tip measurer/cutter, keep a notebook handy to jot the sizes down as to shape etc. of the float body to length of tip.

Last edited:

Maverick

Site Supporter
Had a go at making some years ago and still use them to this day. I went into it after watching a few videos and found that although the floats I made looked ok they didn't take the amount of shot to match the body weight of the floats.

I then realised ther's a lot more to it than just gluing the bits together and giving them a coat of varnish. Tip length & diameter. Stem length & type. Body type e.g. balsa, foam etc. and even the varnish/paint you use to finish them all effect the finished weight of the float and how much weight it will take to cock it correctly.

It's still great fun though and I still use mine to this day. Go for it and show us your results. Her's a few of mine.

Me and my lad

It is a great pastime in itself. My lad seems to have an eye for it and puts together some well balanced floats. However, I told him if he gets it wrong not to worry...a leaning opportunity.
His brother made a display unit and logo for his Tech exam but I told him it could breach copyright. Kids!20190709_164159.jpg

Bob Astill

Site Supporter
Thank you for all the replies some of these look great i have spent most of the day trying to get a rough idea how long to cut the stem and tips looks like a trial and error i am going to get my float tray out tommorow and see if i can find any the same weight and shape as the bits i have bought and try that its all a learning curve and i am loving it. :)

davylad

Site Supporter
if you get some bits from Gerry's, you will get instructions recommending length to cut etc etc.

Bob Astill

Site Supporter
Loved the thread still reading them all but had a go this morning the white on the fibbers is sealer I will paint them when the red tips are dry really enjoying it need to find some large spring eyes as the dibber tips are just over 3mm or could I just use a rubber at the top as well?67457295_10156743927340674_8112509128343027712_n.jpg67621070_10156743927460674_5096237580152733696_n.jpg67621070_10156743927460674_5096237580152733696_n.jpg

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Bob Astill

Just a little tip mate. Paint the bodies first, any colour you want, then when it comes to the tips, dip them first in white household emulsion that's been thinned down a little (75% paint to 25% water) and let the little bubbles die down. Dip the tips and let them dry (I dry mine in front of a fan on first speed), then dip in red or flouro orange. The tips will stand out a lot better and leave a clean line, if you keep tipping them upside down then right way up you won't get runs. :upthumb:
Other than that, nice job.

Spring type pole float eyes, choose size from drop-down menu...

Last edited:

Bob Astill

Site Supporter
Thank you I will do that. the dibber end is bigger than there biggest size I will find some

acart8426

Bob

If those dibbers are from finesse and foam , your stems will need to go inside the body as close to the tip as possible , otherwise the tips will snap . You won' t be able to use spring eyes , either a twisted side eye or a rubber . The tips snap easily especially if you have a fish thrashing about in your net .

I dipped these earlier and put the tips on these this morning , just got to add the side eyes

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Club House 1
H Fishing Talk 8
B Fishing Talk 8
D Tackle Talk 9
S Tackle Talk 6