Himley Hall Lake

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just opened this weeks Angling Times and turned to my favourite section, the Where to Fish pages. This month they have a section on Dream Roach Venues.

One of which is Himley Hall Lake, Dudley. It's only 18 minutes away from me on Google maps so I'm thinking about going to have a look and fishing it.

Has anyone fished it or know the venue and have any tips? Is it a decent Roach venue?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Here's a stock aerial shot of it. Looks nice doesn't it?

himleyhall.jpg

Asked my sister if she's been there and apparently it's a wedding venue she's been to. I'm going to give them a call and see if it's ok to walk round tomorrow to check it out and get a few more pics. See if I can work out which is the shallow end and which is the main bowl as described in the AT.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I went for a walk round today. It was dead busy in the park and the lake also busy with Carp anglers! Not many pegs going so I doubt I'd fish it of a weekend! It was blowing a hooley today too so very choppy water as the wind sweeps across the lake.

2020-05-23 11.31.17.jpg

Water was gin clear and being a 'natural' lake I don't expect fishing will be easy there. Best pegs to me look like the ones on the dam wall, and it's a bit of a walk to all of the pegs so it looks like a job for the barrow. I've also heard its deep on the dam wall so I'm expecting either slider tactics or a maggot helicopter rig for the Roach.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve just joined a second club which has a national trust estate lake. Apparently has lots of roach and skimmers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds good mate! Love fishing venues like this for the unknown and the challenge!

If you look where the cars are parked in the stock photo, the field just before it was full with cars today. Absolutely rammed there and that's the walk to the peg too! I'm hoping it will be quieter on Friday when I hopefully go. I want to get a peg on the dam wall from what I've read. I think a lot of the fish will be further out on the Carp anglers baits so a maggot feeder (with a bit of hemp maybe if it arrives in time) seems like the tactic. And hopefully be able to float fish close in without a slider if it's not too deep. I've just watched a video of Matt Hayes catching a grass Carp there on a floating bait

but the Roach will be my main target. I expect it will be very difficult there and getting the tactics right will be key. If it does turn out to be a decent venue this will give me two 'natural' lakes available to me without a club ticket with a long waiting list. I will have Patshull Park for my Bream venue and hopefully this for Roach, and maybe Crucians, Tench, Perch, Bream and whatever comes along! But like I say I expect it to be very difficult nut to crack...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah not really sure what this place will be like. The chairman said lots of roach and skimmers which sounds promising but I’m sceptical of there ever being lots of anything in an estate lake but we’ll see.

lea77

I fished here as a kid and about 10 years ago, it's a cracking tench & crucian venue.
The dam wall is best fishing at the edge of the lilly pads.
Small feeder of float, bit of ground bait maggots/corn.

It's an old video but matt Hayes & mick brown filmed here fishing for the crucians

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers for the tip!

I'll have to have a look for the Matt Hayes video and nice to hear it has Tench and Crucians in there. I like the look of the lily pads so those will be the pegs I head for if I can get them.