Himalayan Pink Salt

scantruck1

Hi all,
One of my Northern based work colleagues gave me a little tip recently and that is to mix 2 -3 teaspoons of Himalayan Salt to a bag of ground bait , he said it is the fish version of ' crack ' his words.
Anyone else tried it and had success ? he reckons he has been smashing it on the lakes and canals where he is but you cannot use it on flowing rivers.
I was thinking you could use the same process with 2mm pellets etc on the feeder or potting on the pole .
Whats your thoughts ?????.......

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Think he's winding you up. Don't imagine fresh water fish appreciate salt. Could be wrong though :LOL:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've never seen it used on stillwaters, with the exception of using salt in Carp baits. Could this be what the work colleague is meaning?

Spadger123

Marcel Van Den Eyde always put salt into his groundbaits and was a great advocate of using it in small amounts.

Salt was an addative in all of his shop bought brands as well.

You have to experiment with the amounts as Himalayan salt is very salty.

scantruck1

I've never seen it used on stillwaters, with the exception of using salt in Carp baits. Could this be what the work colleague is meaning?
It could well be he was on his mobile at the time and i was in the office and reception did fade at times.
Must admit he never mentioned mixing it with feeder pellets , so if you use in the ground bait as a attraction then fish above it that may work , i will have to try and see.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Adding any kind of salt to groundbait is not a new idea. I seriously doubt the source makes a lot of difference.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
it's a known bait additive in specimen carping.... there's something in it that they seem to be attracted to.. alcohol is another one that they seem to like

Last edited:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
For a start salt in itself will change the ph of the surrounding water. As we can smell the ph change when we smell acidic vinegar, so fish would notice the change in ph due to the salt.
As for what the pink is I'm not sure but as fish can notice minute changes with their receptors a very small amount of something could and probably would be noticed.
As our mouths notice acidity changes by watering so something similar could happen within the fish.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"it's a known bait additive in specimen carping.... there's something in it that they seem to be attracted to.. alcohol is another one that they seem to like"

So what you saying then Arry - Tequila,sprinkle of salt and a dash of lime? :)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Not sure what the alcohol would do to the water but salt and lime definitely would change the ph. But would that mixture make them intoxicated? 🤔🤔🤪🤪🤮🤮🤯🤯

adriang

Monster Particles made a bit of a deal over the fact that their preprepared stuff is done with Himalayan rock salt..

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
This might help...

Louis D

Site Supporter
For a start salt in itself will change the ph of the surrounding water. As we can smell the ph change when we smell acidic vinegar, so fish would notice the change in ph due to the salt.
As for what the pink is I'm not sure but as fish can notice minute changes with their receptors a very small amount of something could and probably would be noticed.
As our mouths notice acidity changes by watering so something similar could happen within the fish.
Sodium chloride is neutral and will not change the pH of eater. It will change the ionic strength but any movement in the water e.g. a big carp moving around will quickly dilute that effect because a lake is a big thing compared to a few spoonfuls of salt. Himalayan salt is little different to sea salt, maybe a slight difference in trace elements but these will be present on lake water anyway e.g. magnesium, calcium ions.
I would save your money and buy Saxo instead.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
What I was stating was that the fish would notice the change. Like the test where 1 drop of blood was dripped into a swimming pool and an eel was placed into the pool and it found where that 1 drop of blood had been place and was actively hunting in the immediate area.
We humans have only an inkling of the abilities of fish. Sometimes I use minute amounts of things in my paste and other baits but have noticed that there are indications that it is noticed by the fish. Amazingly cray fish are extremely aware of scents.

GobioTractor

Using salt in bait is meant to attract fish as they can detect pH changes. Maybe it triggers an investigatory response from the fish as apposed to them wanting to gorge on salt. From what I've taken in from rod Hutchinson's books, fish do not smell in the same way as we do, so are not attracted to those nice or bad smelling flavours we are sold. Instead fish are attracted by chemical changes within the water. For example fish wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a strawberry and a banana flavouring if the flavour was composed from the same base e.g alcohol. The fish would detect both flavours with the same label due to the overriding chemical composition.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Ask any fish keeper the use of salt as a dip type medication. A low dilutage is used quite commonly by aquarists to aid the health of the stock.
So maybe they notice the difference in water quality and it may even switch on taste receptors. But please use in very low dosage's.

Louis D

Site Supporter
Don't want to appear anal but salt does not affect pH unless 30+ years of being a chemist has seen me misinformed. It changes the local environment (ionic strength, Na+ concentration etc) but not pH or hydrogen activity or whatever. It might serve to attract a fish but, just like groundbait in the margin, movement will rapidly cause the effect to dilute due to diffusion, mixing etc. Having been instructed by my better half to buy a salt cellar tonight in Tesco's, I still suggest that Saxo is sufficient to do the job - pink Himalayan might be exclusive but only because it's expensive, it's still salt.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Not saying you dont know re ph.
We humans haven't got a clue as to what is does to their environment in their context.
Salt does seem to make a difference to baits and as per clive Bransons groundbait they have liberally used it. Also minute amounts of other chemicals are in that pink salt. I personally would not use it. But l do use things to alter the ph of my baits that l know does make a difference.

Louis D

Site Supporter
But to me that is the whole point, we come up with some BS reason for success and everyone accepts it. If everyone catches on red maggot then red maggot is the bait but only because the fish see nothing else. If you throw in bait and don't fish, it is easy to see that fish mouth everything. Confidence is a big deal, we should really embrace it at some point since no one can run the control experiment with sufficient levels of precision. If pink Himalayan salt makes me think I have an advantage over someone using Saxo then fine but we will never know for certain because we cannot isolate the other parameters.