High Prices - death of local tackle shops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think your local tackle shops have gone out of business because of over pricing, lack of competition or are the manufacturers at fault?

Over the past few years, tackle shops within a 20 mile Radius of my area have decreased by over 60%. Making it very hard to find a bargain when there are not enought shops - no competive market anymore.

It seems to me that a lot of tackle shops have been squeezed out of business by manufacturers, to limit the amount of shops per 30 mile radius.

With the credit crunch will people be more careful with money? Buying cheaper alterative tackle and not wanting to travelling too far from home either?

12f2004

The internet has made huge differences to the small business in all areas, not just fishing. I can count loads of times when I've gone in my local to haggle over an item i've seen elsewhere and they just won't budge, even to a fiver. In some instances I bought from them anyway but the last few times I've walked away and bought from further away.
I'm sure they'd rather not sell larger items anyway as the margin isn't as good and they make a higher percentage on all the little bits and pieces.

Do you think your local tackle shops have gone out of business because of over pricing, lack of competition or are the manufacturers at fault?
Internet as posted before, NO doubt about it. The shops that have online shops will have more of a chance of surviving. I spend a lot of time trying to help shops with their sites, a lot can't even add details to their sites.

roman

Some people think a tackle shop is a easy business to make money but it's not..for one you need to get your stock right' pointless buying in everything and Joe fisherman is not interested in it so you end up with dead stock collecting dust on the shelf of which a fair few tackle shops have.does the hight street fishing shop over price ? if you shop around on the Internet then yes it does but if the Internet was never there you would never know unless you drove around to various tackle shops to compair prices so the local tackle shop sells it's lines at what the mark up price is, now we are in a credit crunch it will stick to that price as rate,s and bills need to be paid from all angles....is the tackle manufactures squeezing high street tackle shop out of business' no the Internet done that with it's wide spectrum of undercutting your local tackle dealer..

nico12

Grebe Grabber
As previous-the internet.

When you can order the same gear to arrive delivered for same price or less in your local shop, then its obvious whats happened I guess..i am a guilty buyer...all my line, elastic and bits i order.

Problem is that the sites are getting more video and review data so the need to touch and feel also reduces. This isnt the case for Rods and Poles but for things like e.g. Garbo Mould and Feeders...you can find out all you need to know online and get them for same price delviered to your door...

We will feel it if it continues...bait etc

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I get 95 percent of my gear now off the internet. If I lived in a town were the tackle shops are worth a carrot I would have a different attitude but when I have to go 20 odd miles there and the same back to get decent quality bait then I couldnt care less if the local shops closed tomorrow.

spot on

I used to use my local tackle dealer but stopped when I went in to buy three reels costing over 100 each and asked if they would consider a discount and told no matter how many I bought there would be no discount. All this from a shop where I was well known for spending a lot of money on tackle for me and the family. So it's been the internet for me ever since. If shops can't look after their customers then they can't expect loyalty.

andy phelps

head banger
thats why i got internet. because the shops in germany are cr%p and the pricesin the uk are way better and theres more alternatives

Hatchye

A few of the wiser tackle shops seem to have embraced the internet side of life though, HArrisons etc must pull a lot of additional trade in from around the UK that they would never normally receive....

spot on

It' the same with any type of business, the more you put into it the more you get out of it.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by spot on

It' the same with any type of business, the more you put into it the more you get out of it.
Its a bit more complicated than that mate.

No matter how much money you throw at a business, if people dont walk through that door buying stuff, you re just throwing money away!

Having loads of stock is as has already been said pointless if the customer doesnt want it.

You have to think hard about your local market. What do people in the area tend to buy?

Do they like expensive gear at a good price or are they happy with the cheaper end of the market?
The internet is a great business booster, and its a very good way of shifting gear that has dropped in demand in your area.

The thing is, personally, I like the thought of popping up to my local, havng a natter and a coffee with other customers, offering and also getting advice.
You cant do that on an online tackle store can you?
All you do is punch in your card number and wait for postie to bring it to you.

Yes, forums like this one can be an invaluable source of information on tackle and waters in your area, but theres nothing like having a face to face chat with someone who has been to the venue you re looking for info on is there?

IMO you just cant beat your local.

Support it or lose it, thats my motto.

Perhaps Im just lucky to have a "proper" tackle shop in my area, but the owner works hard on the personal touch more than any other shop Ive ever been into.
The kettles always on and if you re a regular he now offers a loyalty card.

The door swings both ways. You support them, and they support you. No different to Tesco or Asda.

As for the price increases over the last few months, most of it is down to the manufacturers upping their prices.
Its a knock on effect to the current situation that sad old Britain is in.
Our pound is less than worthless at the moment, and with al the jobs going under lately, we have less to spend, so their profits are down.
If they are to survive, they have to increase their prices.

We all love a bargain, but without our local shop, how are we to get the little bits and bait that you just cant wait for?
How many times have you woken up on a weekend and thought " Im going fishing.....oh....bugger Ive not got any maggots, and I need some more hooks"

Oh well....I ll have to go on the net and order some hooks.....how long does that take?

Sorry....rant over[:T]

spot on

You lucky chap, If I had a local shop like yours badpegpicker I would spend a lot of time in it. The owner of the store you mention is one of those who does put that little extra into it and deserves to get on.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Thats why I do spend so much time there mate.
And also why I try to promote him as much as I can...without being pushy.
I know people dont like being told to go somewhere when they are comfortable elsewhere, Im the same.

I find the biggest problem these days is if alot of anglers walk into a tackle shop and arent bombarded with products from the likes of Fox, Maver, Preston Rive etc, they turn tail and walk out!
They forget that there are plenty of cheaper alternatives that are just as suited to the job.
He does alot of the main stream brands, but he also provides a huge range of the lower budget stuff aimed at the average angler.

Gillbo

Gillberto
Sadly I have got to agree with this one. On friday I tried went to buy a new reel and asked what was the best price and I was told the price advestised. I replied that a certain website has the said reel advertised for x-amount less (around 25%) and I was then told to buy it there instead. I like to support my local tackle shop but I wont be prepared to pay the full RRP for more expensive items when I can save a substantial amount of money online. I may not have minded paying a bit more but with the threat of redundancy i can't.

Last edited:

quivertip

phil
i have bought a lot of gear off the internet and after reading loads about supporting your local tackle shop i thought next time i want something i'll go to my local tackle shop...... so i did... i wanted a garbolino rod, priced one up on e-bay from a shop 42 delivered... so i asked my local tackle shop if he could get me one...
yeh sure no problem was the reply... "it's 55" plus they wanted me to pay the carriage charge of 7 so that will be 62 plus it will take about 10 days.. "i'll let you know was my reply...
got one delivered next day for 42 off e-bay... now i dont mind paying a little extra for the support and all that but blimey.. that is taking the pee..
i'm afraid i drive a little bit further now and use bristol angling centre or avon aquatics who both will do a price match and are more friendly and welcoming..

ps. ryan from avon aquatics if you're reading this and wondered where the "Fox envoy 12ft twin top canal rod" has gone to.... i've got it mate[:D] beauty of a rod and a real bargain for 99..

Last edited:

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I went in Scottys the other day Phil.
I havent been in there for years. Still the same double act and it was good to see them.
I had 2 pints of the best caster off them. A bit of sugar and milk and I could have ate them myself.
I always got on well with them (some people dont know how to take them) and I never had a single problem with the shop or a bad bag of bait off them.
If I still lived in Bristol then it would be different.
In Newport the shops are top priced and then some. The bait I wouldnt put on the bird table half the time.
If you have a problem at Dave Richards you get three ton of bull***t and zero satisfaction.
Consequently I shop on the internet and mail order from Fishermans Friend.

johnfranks

I agree with Badpegpicker[:T] Half the fun of fishing is going in to your local tackle shop, having a Coffee(Mine even throws in some Biccies[:p])and having a laugh about the last Match ETC and getting info on wheres Fishing.
Where would you get your Maggots and who would lovingly turn your Casters for you[?]I cant find them on the Internet.
Long live the local Tackle Shop, Yes it might be a bit more expensive and yes it might not have the latest gadget but it would be bloody boring without the Saturday Morning Craick[:C]
Rant over, Im off to catch some Roach and Skimmers[:W][:W]

quivertip

phil
blokey, scotts have sold up, i was chatting to pete and richard about 4 weeks ago and they were just waiting for a few odds and ends to be tied up, they are both retiring to do a bit more fishing and one of their customers is taking it over, richard will still be doing the tackle repairs as a little side line for the shop and himself, as said, i always got on fine with both of them, they are both a good laugh when you know them and some people perhaps didn't know how to take them, i'll miss 'em to be honest and we'll have to see how it goes with the new owners, hopefully they will carry on in the same tradition...

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
For myself Johnfranks. At this time my bait fridge gave up the ghost otherwise I would always turn my own caster. Maggots (as a bait itself)I rarely use other than to buy them to casterise them.
The vast part of the year I use my own pellets ,pastes and home made baits and it tends to be only in the coldest part of the year that I want caster anyway.
The rest of it I can get very easily from the internet at half the price.
I bought a bait table a couple of months back from the internet 8.99 plus postage. The identical table is in the local tackle shop now 27.99.
Thats a lot of cups of coffee and digestives mate.
I know lots of guys have good relations with their local shops and all power to their elbow mate. I would too if I didnt live here. I always did too prior to that but speaking as I find at present it wouldnt matter a damn to me if the shops here closed yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.