Heaviest elastic you have ever used?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Quite a few years ago on a venue in the Midlands a friend of mine wanted a set up to land up to double figure carp as quickly as possible so he started with a telescopic whip minus the top section with a doubled foot of quarter inch catapult elastic in the butt of the pole connected to the tip with a stopper then a length of 40lb nylon about the length of the whip, might of been 5 meters or 6 I cant remember, tied to an XL stonfo.
This worked great for a while but still some fish would go under the boards and snag/snap him on 030 line so he tried a "flick tip" constructed from a 20lb class ugly stick boat rod which resulted in more hook pulls so he went back to elastic in a landing net pole instead of a whip which worked better but at that point they banned it altogether and do not fish matches there now.

tedstriker

middy 18-20 solid but it acts more like a 16, have a 18-20 hollow for margin fishing at the moment in a specific club lake where the fish go 20+lb

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Preston 19h and/or Middy 18-20. I find the fish just react too much to the pressure and tackle is pushed to its limit. Can't pretend I enjoy it

stikflote

Site Supporter
Middy 16 to 18 I put it in tight, to try and stop them getting in weeds ,I hooked a good fish it went mad and just kept
pulling pole bent like a banana and bang top sections smashed in to five bits ,pole rated to over 20 elastic
Tri cast tri ology 2 margin pole ,and ive only fished three times this year while on holiday
really P me off

Geoff P

The cheerful one!!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Like Peter I used Vespe orange at Rolfs. The heaviest elastic I have used in the last couple of years is NGs Black Amber core.

Which the wife has insisted I get out and let the fish have a play with. South Kirkby here I come!!!!!

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got a solid 18 in my margin pole, it's set fairly tight and for the venues I fish is likely to be adequate for anything I hook.

I have got a spool of, I think, 22 or 24 solid elastic somewhere.
I was going to use it on my old margin pole but when I got a suitable bush from the tackle shop and realised how far I was gonna need to cut back the tip to fit the bush I chickened out and just put 16 back in. :p

Simon

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I used a 20 hollow once.... hated it.... even set soft I kept pulling out of fish I think that was a blue middy (pale blue it was) I use 14-16 hollow now in my Drennan Target Carp (heaviest laccy I have)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
As a kid, I once used 30lb line with a beachcaster to fish floating crust next to a lily bed.
Dragged out a carp of about 15lb, and was sickened by the damage done to its mouth by the hook.

Like Dusty Rhodes, I find that I can get fish in more quickly using lighter elastic.
With a sidepuller, just in case.

And I will not fish somewhere when I think I'm more than likely to get snagged.
I'm sure that it costs me in matches, I don't care.
It's supposed to be a sport.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Never got on with hollows or hydros. My heaviest is Middy 12 for down the edge.

Total

Site Supporter
Never got on with hollows or hydros. My heaviest is Middy 12 for down the edge.
I'm the same Mick (apart from the Middy 12 down the edge.)..... Am slowly reverting back to solids for most of my fishing, especially since the newish NG stretchy solids have become available....

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I'm the same Mick (apart from the Middy 12 down the edge.)..... Am slowly reverting back to solids for most of my fishing, especially since the newish NG stretchy solids have become available....
It was the stretch l didn't like Mark, 2-3lb F1's and l had 20m of laccy sticking out the end😁 l get more 'feel' for the fish on solids👍

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have just bought a pole that came with 2 elasticated tops. Middy 8-10 solid and Middy 18-20 solid. I don't like Middy elastic so I'll probably swap them out for a hollow equivalent.