Have the various brands of Pole missed a trick?

Fred Davis

I see from various posts on facebook that preston have now produced a range of grey painted kits for there M range of poles with Des Shipp endorsing the kits and confirming that they really make a difference when fishing shallow or across on snake lakes which I dare say they do, so why can you only buy these kits as an extra, however with various brands daiwa with there ghost kits map with there grey kits I wonder which company will be the first to include grey coloured kits as standard within there pole package, and wonder if they have been a bit slow off the mark to have not already done so. When looking for a competitive edge in todays market place especially in the hotly contested pole market I am actually surprised that this has not been done so already.

Somersetlad

You buy them as an extra because they make more profit that way, if grey painted kits were supplied as standard, they wouldn't sell many non-grey kits.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Just my opinion of course but does it really make any difference.

Paul22

Site Supporter
It’s one of those conundrums 🐟
The biggest winner of course is the manufacturer 🤨

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I don't think there's a lot of benefit as it's the silhouette that is the giveaway, not the colour , a fish looking up will still see the silhouette of the top sections no matter what it's colour... But if you feel it gives you that 1% extra of confidence, it's your cash

sjmclean

I don't think there's a lot of benefit as it's the silhouette that is the giveaway, not the colour , a fish looking up will still see the silhouette of the top sections no matter what it's colour... But if you feel it gives you that 1% extra of confidence, it's your cash

If colour didn't make a difference would all water feeding birds be the same colour? What colour is that again?

If it's the same colour as the thing about it the silhouette is going to be lesser obviously.

Watch this.

Arry

Site Supporter
If colour didn't make a difference would all water feeding birds be the same colour? What colour is that again?

If it's the same colour as the thing about it the silhouette is going to be lesser obviously.

Watch this.
Oooh look a Daiwa sponsored angler promoting Daiwa made grey tops.... I wonder if he'll prove beyond all doubt we have to have grey tops to catch fish...

Look dear chap... stop trying to convince me... we all have our own theories about this stuff... put daylight above an object and you'll get a silhouette... it doesnt matter what colour you paint it... if youcwantvto spend tour cash on it fair play to you... just smacks as a bit of emperors new clothes when folks are doing it with ordinary black tops still.... and have been since poles were invented

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
thought this was going to be about the new fly fishing rods made of graphene,

Corn Master

Site Supporter
Doesn't interest me really as I really hate fishing for pastie size fish. When F1's are around 4 or 5lbs then I'll fish for them otherwise nahhh

sjmclean

Oooh look a Daiwa sponsored angler promoting Daiwa made grey tops.... I wonder if he'll prove beyond all doubt we have to have grey tops to catch fish...

Look dear chap... stop trying to convince me... we all have our own theories about this stuff... put daylight above an object and you'll get a silhouette... it doesnt matter what colour you paint it... if youcwantvto spend tour cash on it fair play to you... just smacks as a bit of emperors new clothes when folks are doing it with ordinary black tops still.... and have been since poles were invented
Yeah Daiwa made tops he painted himself. Work that out. I'm also pretty sure considering all the mismatched gear he uses he's not sponsored by Daiwa

The rest of your comment is almost too stupid to approach. Of Course there is a silhouette but it's about reducing it which the video clearly shows that it does.

Nature uses white/grey to it's advantage when hunting but because you're tight and think you're smarter than everyone else, you think it doesn't work. I'll take science and evidence anyday.

If you watched that video and didn't think it made a difference to the silhouette there's not much hope for you.

I've also realised you're the guy moaning about carp in another thread, when your DP is a carp. Duh...

Bungee Restretched

Neither Rikki nor Clive are Daiwa sponsored?!

rudd

We have been here before!
No matter what colour your top kit is, it will move and cause its shadow to move.
Fish react to movement above them and all solid profiles cast a shadow.
We dont even know if fish see black or grey? But they do see the shadow.

Arry

Site Supporter
Yeah Daiwa made tops he painted himself. Work that out. I'm also pretty sure considering all the mismatched gear he uses he's not sponsored by Daiwa

The rest of your comment is almost too stupid to approach. Of Course there is a silhouette but it's about reducing it which the video clearly shows that it does.

Nature uses white/grey to it's advantage when hunting but because you're tight and think you're smarter than everyone else, you think it doesn't work. I'll take science and evidence anyday.

If you watched that video and didn't think it made a difference to the silhouette there's not much hope for you.

I've also realised you're the guy moaning about carp in another thread, when your DP is a carp. Duh...
Moaning about carp...? Look at my avatar... I've carp fished for the last 40 years... Allow me to have an opinion ferchrissakes... I said in my first and second post... if thats what floats yer boat crack on... I don't think it makes that much difference...you do fair enough.. have I attacked you personally...? No.. so get off my case fellah yer out of order...

richox12

You buy them as an extra because they make more profit that way, if grey painted kits were supplied as standard, they wouldn't sell many non-grey kits.
More profit ? If said black kit is same price as said grey kit it doesn't matter what gets sold. If grey kits were supplied as standard - and some already are anyway - it doesn't matter that they sell fewer non-grey/black kits because.....they've still sold 'x' number of kits.

I wouldn't think the manufacturer cares which colour kit /section you buy so long as you buy theirs over a competitors. If brand 'X' is offering grey kits then brand 'Y' steps in and also offers them with their poles so that they don't possibly miss out.

It's about giving anglers choice.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Why stop at grey?...why not a brown or green..or maybe camo? These will match the over-hanging branches etc. of trees and shrubs. Pah, it's all getting too daft. If it comes to worrying about shadows from a pole...use a waggler instead.