hair rigged bait or hook bait pole newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

harveyjohn199

Thanks for the replies to previous posts. I had my first day on the pole today and fished the bait on the bottom targeting carp. Is it best to fish hair rigged bait or bait straight to hook for this method. Also is there a set length of line that I should have from pole to float (I had around 12 inches) as I had a few fish that hook pulled and was wondering if this could be the cause. Thanx

Cooky

what bait were you using ?

i only have around 6-8 inches from float to tip and im getting plenty of fish but im still learning

harveyjohn199

Thanks for the reply. I fished corn, 10mm halibut pellets and meat all hair rigged. Had some really positive bites but nothing on the lift

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
As a rule, I dont bother with hair rigging baits on the pole, as I tend to use soft baits like hooker pellets, paste and corn, meat etc.

As for the length of line between float and pole tip, then it depends on the weather alot of the time.
If its flat calm or just a slight breeze, then 6-8 inches of line usually does me fisne, but if im using paste, then I may extend that to 10" to allow for the falling of the paste, and positioning of the float, and also so that if you do get a slight gust of wind, then the pole tip wont move too far and pull the hook out of the paste.
The time wheni ise a very long line is when its very windy. For example, yesterday I popped out for a few hours, and the wind was very gusty, blowing form all angles, so ended up having over a foot of line between float an tip.
Hope that helps a little.[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.